runagate's Song #2 tabla - - gongs - - & electric bass

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

*EDIT*
Here's a version of this song mixed much more clearly. I really like it.

http://the-auditorium.net/viewtopic.php?t=3892

*end edit*

My first sketch of a fusion of the two styles of the Ramayanas: tabla & gong. Now that I have seen another composer's performance of the same basic idea, & technology has advanced, it's about time to make another try.

Check out the nine overlapping polyrhythms past the halfway point.
I never could get live musicians to do anything like that.

Schiamacachinnations
196 kbps
10.5 MBs

Here's the link to the thread on The Auditorium as they frown on posting the direct link there (did they always?).

http://the-auditorium.net/viewtopic.php?t=3535
Last edited by runagate on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pretty good stuff!

It would be cool if the tabla had a little more flow and dynamics in it to make it sound more organic to contrast all the synth stuff you have going on.

About the direct linking by the way... I wouldn't call it "frowning upon" (thought yes, they've always not wanted people to direct link), but it's more common courtesy not to direct link if possible...
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks Gregjazz - now that I've got 1.8Ghz of power as opposed to 1Ghz I'm hoping that more organic flow is possible! Plus having a keyboard instead of hand-scoring everying should help. My initial forays into ocmposing after a year without a PC lead me to believe there'll be no greater dynamic range, though. I only have enough horsepower to deal in 16 bits & that requires a lot of non-aesthetic limiting. I'd say that this song here has been hard limited either when tracks were frozen or on submixes or the overall mx at lesat 50 times. Tis a sad thing.

wow is that ever thick! i liked it quite a lot; it's unlike anything else i've ever heard in terms of mixing the traditional indian sound with wigged out synths. the only comparison i can think of is evan ziporyn.

This is very good.

And as has been said, very original. What a breath of fresh air.

I am listening on crappy speakers at work. I will listen again, under better conditions, and say more, later.

8)

It's actually remastered for crappy speakers. Got that sub-bass harmonics effect going so that I can actually hear the bass on my laptop. I loath rendering to mp3s. By the way, herodotus, I'm always playing your labyrinthine song out of my laptop speakers for people & I'm pretty sure that's not quite the audio fidelity you intend it to be heard at but at least most of the song's frequency range actually comes out of this little PC - the speakers on it are pretty good for a laptop so don't despair.

bump for daytime people :smack:

:phones:

C'mon, people!

This is actually good for chrissakes!!

:wink:

last bump

I updated this post with a different mix.

classic runagate: intense, intensely odd, dripping with caffeine, unrelenting, intelligent, fun(ny).

i was going to suggest that you consider some breathing space in this, thinning, perhaps pauses, etc. but then it wouldn't be what it is. so instead: what if you took the hyperdense idea and went further with it. it could build up to a climax that is 2-10 times more dense (overlapping layers) than anywhere in the piece now. so much so that the individual layers dissolve into a mix that approaches noise.

Hmm... odd that you should say that because as I initially planned it the effects (there's tons and tons of animation tracks... 40 or so?) on the bass, which are what all the weird "synth" sounds are are animated effects on the bass, were going to climax for the 1/5 of the song. My knowledge of how to do this and my resources at the time didn't permit this.

Now, however, I'm just going to perform it live and record it. I can control all the crazy effect parameters live can do things like constrain the midi cc's to certain ranges and the like. This track is a very, very early success story in my sequencing attempts and for all that I'm very satisfied with how it turned out! I'm still barely able to believe I can have tablas and gongs.. I could use actual gamelan gongs now, too.
Well, the virtual kind.

You can here an even more primitive version of the song for the beginning parts of the song... it is the midi data but better sounds used on the channels of my very first attempt at a gamelan-dub-raga.

this is very different.
I love the rhythm tabla parts,and the deep crashes and grinds
you are really covering the whole frequency range with this.
it certainly is full-on

Blimey. That's bonkers. I love it. I'd be inclined to break up the 8/8 structure by varying the pattern length some and occasionally bringing it all back a beat or two early.
I can see clubs in the darker corners of Berlin going wild with a huge kick drum underneath.

Return to “Music Cafe”