Hypnotic oldschool psytrance V.2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, here's the latest go at oldschool style trance..

http://kim.apinavuori.net/avp/hulluy.mp3
http://kim.apinavuori.net/avp/hulluy2.mp3

Update: OK, I made a more transient kick for this one & cleared up the bass department a bit... Is the kick too overkill now?
Hmm, next I should do something about the song itself...
Last edited by Taika-Kim on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Kim!
This is not bad at all. Nice use of synth-lines and samples.
There are however a few suggestions I have to improve this (and I definitely think this track is worth every effort it takes) - the synths that drive the song are too dominant and drive it too much - you need to bring the percussive elements much more to the front (especially the kick). You can help the melodic stuff stay in the picture a bit by using a bit more delay or reverb. With the percussive elements more pronounced you can then use those to give the whole track a more evolving and less repetetive feel.
I love those tribal samples you are using btw, you might just like to put them "tighter on the groove" - plus, if I were you, I'd use them a bit more. And lower the desert strings in the intro, they're sticking out a bit too much.
So this is it for starters, I hope this comes across as constructive as it is intended. I'll be really interested to hear how this turns out...

Cheers, Jo
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Really cool track dude.

I totally don't get why you don't get more reviews. This is one of the best Psy/Goa track I've heard on KVR.
Top synth arps...........as usual :D
Not too keen on the male shouts though. And after 1/2 ways I wouldn't mind some more variation. More percussion is also very welcome. And the bassline is almost too common but ok, I could say that regarding most of Astral projections tracks as well. More fx is always welcome.

And as Jo said, kick could use a couple of more dB's.

Love the arabic strings in the beginning. Would love to hear them more further in the track.

Thank you very much, the comments are very useful!

Yes I know I have a bad habit of neglecting percussion somewhat :/ I'll see what I can do for them.
The problem with the kick is that it's already quite loud, any more and it means the rest of the will get quieter because it's already the loudest instrument peaking at about -6db... So maybe I just need to add some nice transient for it to stand out...

And yes, I might do something about that middle part. I was thinking that because the rest of the tune is so spot tightly quantised, it would be nice to let the elements float around a bit in the middle.

I'll let this cook for some days and then see what I can do about it. I might add some oriental woodwinds or something. And maybe ditch those shouting berbers or whatever they are, they don't quite fit in I think.

I would also like to put in some real melodies earlier on, but then again, it would ruin the idea of this track somewhat...

Kim wrote:The problem with the kick is that it's already quite loud, any more and it means the rest of the will get quieter because it's already the loudest instrument peaking at about -6db... So maybe I just need to add some nice transient for it to stand out...
I think your kick is too much limited to very low frequencies - it should cut through the entire mix. It won't hurt if the synth lines get a bit quieter either imho, it might actually make them sound even better. Plus the dominating kick will make it much more "hypnotic". Possibly when that is done you'll find you don't even need to add any more elements...

Cheers, Jo
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

I liked the track in general. I'm up for the others advising you to put the kick up a few dB's, but the present mix with the low kick gives me nostalgia - reminding me of the music (psytrance) being released duirng the early/mid 90's with quite poor mastering jobs (something I find charmy). I'd lower the strings in the beginning a bit or saving em for later. It didn't feel quite "right" for me experiencing em in the beginning, but on the other hand surprises is what makes psytrance good and creating new patterns and formulas e.t.c.

Great track! If I were you I'd send the final version to Suntrip Records as I'm sure they are interested in your work... http://www.suntriprecords.com !

Good luck and all the best. :wink:

Taika-Kim wrote:Hi, here's the latest go at oldschool style trance..

http://kim.apinavuori.net/avp/hulluy.mp3

Is it too repetitive? I tried to make hypnotic & avoid any too sudden changes... But maybe I should add some FX and even melodies? I've also been thinking about bringing the desert strings from the intro back later on proper... Now they're there for the whole B part of the track, but filtered so they're not quite evident.

Commenst? Should I make the open hihat louder? Maybe add some other percussions? There's udus, darboukas & all, but they're quite subdued, it's a bit hard to make them very prominent in such a full mix...

And the usual: how is the bass mixing? I think the bassline does get a bit muddy... Dunno what I could do with it thogh, I've already done a lot of work for it...
overall, great track. what would i do different? as already said, the kick ain't strong enough. maybe pass it through some distortion to make it cut through the mix better. the strings in the beginning are a bit too loud. about the bass .... i have the same problem most of the time. maybe you should play a bit more with the filter envelope, it does sound a bit muddy. i really like the way you use crash cymbals in there. try adding a low level closed hat on every 16th in the middle part(minutes 2-3), where the track is the strongest, to provide more drive (something like about 4.30). the tribal percussion part is great. somehow, i miss the main part, in the last third of track there should be another main synth line which would bring the track to another level instead being hypnotic. something like that happens 30 seconds before the end which is too late, if a dj is about to play the track, the main lead line does not start until the dj starts to mix another track over it .... but that is just the way i like psytrance, don't take this comment too seriously. :)
anyway, with all the good and bad things, this tracks reminds me a lot of california sunshine .... but with more energy.

im impressed by this track but if i were to change a thing or two i would like to hear the drum getting a bit more edge, also as mentioned by others the strings in the beginning is a tad too loud, thighter percussion at the shouting breakdown at 4:32 would give the mix at that point a more punchy sound me thinks.

these are just my comments so don't take em too seriously, but the overall sound of this track brings me back to the days with total eclipse and the infinity project....
And we can take this huge universe and put it inside a very tiny head, you fold it.

ok, these are all VERY good comments. I'll go back to work right away.

I agree with almost everything you have said, and I've been thinking about most of these issues myself too... Especially about the melody in the end, the kick/bass & somehow beefing up the percussions

Ok, version 2 is up...

Return to “Music Cafe”