february contest ... RULES and SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ugly Babies

What happens when you turn off the self-moderating portion of your musical brain? Perfectly produced music doesn't necessarily have the most vitality!

It's time to let it all go, get over your self-imposed censorship, and just lay something down with wild abandon. I want your frustrated rants, crazed romps, ugly babies, and diamonds in the rough! I want you to try what you've never tried before because "it's not good enough". Pick up an unfamiliar instrument, or try some vocals if that's not your usual thing. Try new recording techniques or music theory concepts.

So please don't care about how it sounds, just care about how it *feels*. Open yourself up to new possibilities. Break out of your boundaries.

(For the musical category theorists out there, one might say this is almost our second "punk" contest, only hopefully without the historical baggage and genre preconceptions/cliches)

RULES

1 - your track MUST be ...

(a) encoded in either .mp3 (128kbps or lower if fixed rate ... average of 128kbps or lower if VBR) or .ogg format (quality level 4.00 or lower)

(b) a STRICT maximum of TWO MINUTES in length. Starting in 2006 I'm going to be SERIOUS about this rule. If it shows up as 2:01 in my player, then I'll allow it for reasons of rounding in different players. But you shouldn't take that chance! Any longer gets a DISQUALIFICATION. That said, if a submitted track is over length, all contestants should feel free to mock the offending entrant mercilessly into getting permission to enter a new version of correct length.

(c) entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else)

(d) submitted before 11:59 PM tuesday 21st february

2 - your track SHOULD also ...

(a) be composed specifically for this contest

(b) be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio

(c) have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie - "06_02_artistname_tracktitle.mp3") or something similar bearing this info.

(d) have AT LEAST the artist and title fields of the file's ID tag completed (help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries)

3 - only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

4 - any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed

5 - voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until 11:59 PM tuesday 28th february - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified

PRIZES

George from discoDSP has been so kind as to donate a prize of their FX Bundle (a $99 value) for EVERY month this year.

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their products this month (and later months until further notice).

There may be other prizes.

dont forget ... you can also check out all this months tracks in one easy process over on MARKLEFORD RADIO ...

... and download them all using garret's handy DOWNLOAD TOOL
Last edited by Markleford on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

I wrote this last night after reading the contest rules. I have a bunch of new snippets just from letting go of my "self-imposed censorship" (an absolute dynamite approach to writing often overlooked).

So I chose this little ditty called "Who are we educated for". It's a mellow rant about we humans thinking we are the intelligent ones because we are educated sociol beings.
Viewing things from a different angle (humans being the "not so intelligent ones"), humans rely on corporations and animals rely on Earth for their food, water and shelter.

One thing i have been practicing on is singing and playing guitar at the same time. I decided to write/record this song doing just that.
To add fuel to the fire, i also decided to sing in a language i have no inkling on how to even say "Hi" (i chose German).
As far as pronunciation etc., i just did what i felt was the way it is supposed to sound judging from all the Rammstein CDs i listen to :hihi:
In other words, any German speaking people will have a good laugh.

Who are we educated for?
Give me freedom or give me television

For my submission this month I threw away my self-imposed censorship (all nature of political correctness). I stepped out of my comfort zone of acoustic guitar, piano and melodic vocals and borrowed a mates guitar and amp and tried my best to thrash out something horrible.
I also used synth drums- something I would otherwise never use myself. I attepted for the first time "heavy" vocals. My neighbours didn't call the police thankfully.
Last of all the lyrics- self explanitory.

Ugly Baby

It's as ugly as sin
It was breastfed gin
It has long fingernails
It's hangin' from your coattails

It's crawlin' with lice
I went and killed it twice
It's one and only eyeball
You don't know what you're in for

Hairier than Rosemary's baby
It gave me hepatitis, aids and rabies
Get your bible, get your gun
get ready for some infanticide fun

It got loose in the daycare
There were bodies everywhere

Hairier than Rosemary's baby
It gave me hepatitis, aids and rabies
Get your bible, get your gun
get ready for some infanticide fun

Link:
http://members.dodo.com.au/strangjuice/ ... lyBaby.mp3
www.strangejuice.com
Music, Sound, Web Design

OK - to make my baby ugly I threw it together as fast as possible....and stuck to first takes (mostly, except for the excruciatingly embarrasing ones :hihi: )
I also steered myself away from the synthy stuff (as I tend to become way too fussy with that), and played much more guitar than ever before. :shock:

Crude playing, first takes, and a crude mix should make for one ugly little sucka!

Run For Your Life!

Ok

Here it is.
Quick, cheap, and dirty, with minimal edditing.
This is the first time I ever played bottleneck guitar, so please forgive me for that. Also, I dont normally write lyrics, you can see why.

Ugly Babies

Ugly babies, it's a natural fact.
Thier legs are chubby and thier checks are fat

Ugly babies, both boys and girls.
The way they smell really makes me hurl.

Ugly babies, really get me down.
Ugly babies, runnin all around.
Ugly babies, whats a guy to do
ugly babies, all they do is poooo.

The moral of the story, so let it be told
We love our ugly babies, both young and old.

Ugly babies, really get me down.
Ugly babies, runnin all around.
Ugly babies, whats a guy to do
ugly babies, all they do is poooo.

Enjoy

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Okay, it's time to put aside the lilting melodies of last month and instead enter a song that is fast, low-fi, chaotic, and disturbing if you understand German. (Edited for poor grammar).

http://www.thestarvingtime.net/0602_Yus ... chtung.mp3

And here is my contribution. Basicly an error I did on a certain moment... Ever tought about what happens when the band plays at twice the speed of the solo player.

Well, listen to this :
Cheezy Panama

Only 1 Vsti used for everything except the melody : VSampler.
Fx allso inbuild Vsampler FX's

[EDIT] My website is down at the moment, so I had to upload it elsewhere. No modifications, this is hte original file.
Last edited by kara on Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

distortion makes it all :)
http://www.d-n-s.at/music/0602_DNS-music.mp3
much fun with this little ugly baby :)
greets
mono / dns

this was my guiding star:

> try what you've never tried before

and so i present Taste My Fire! by the legendary, very sexy, very hip, very urban, very popular, very in demand, very very (very very) ... DJ Ashwaganda:

www.rachmiel.org/kvr/0602_rachMiel_taste_my_fire.mp3

sizzle! gong .............. reprise.
Last edited by rachmiel on Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

My ugly baby was born testing a PODxt and from a 15/8 drum groove I came up with playing with Reason.

I made up the words as I sang them, and I liked them so much I sang the same line twice. As FZ said, it's one way of learning English...

The ending...well...:shrug:

Where you want to go

T2, RDK2, PODxt, Fender P-bass, PRS SE Santana, two home made SM synths, Kjærhus classic effects and then some...
Rakkervoksen

pulled...need the space on my site
Last edited by vtx on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_

here it is. one take with a hunk taken out of the middle to fit the time limit. fresh and raw with a nasty hum going on.

http://nikp2000.com/2-06-nikp2000-frippolin.mp3

Nick

_

Mortals,
I don't care how it sounds because no one will understand it but Celine.
It is Valentines Day month and she loves me and I love her in a special way that we share in a loving way as special friends and we have a monkey baby because we had sex.
I made this for her with MTV Music Generator and then I did something to it in cubase using stuff that I did not even know what it does.
What I do know is that I will fight the monkey's for her love right in their hole if I have to and she said I was special.
Love,
G.

Celine's Monkey Hole
You cant depend on a lot of things
You need a busload of faith to get by.

I listened to some of the entries here after I made my entry and I guess my contribution seems a bit different.
Well, it's an ugly baby to me anyway.
It's basically a bunch of stuff I never got around doing much with mixed up together.

Stuff I used include Taurus, LazySnake, Pterosaur, FreeverbToo and Simple Squeeze.

Get it here: 200602-core-garbage collector.mp3

Cheers

[2006-02-14: edited the direct download link]
Last edited by core on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

HELLO!!!

Well I must say, its been a long time.. So yeah I was reading the rules and so I thought, hell somethink folkish and pink floyd styles... Oh well, didn't quite inspire to thie but hay its certainly the od one out in my collection of obscurities... :)

Do enjoy all.. I used Kontakt Purcussion CD, BFD, ABsynth, Guitar Rig, Imposcar, my flatmates Guitar and me crappy husky fake english voice :D

PS. Sorry I can't get the filename as stressed in the rules, the site I use alters the name when uploading

:cry: :help:

Play 128K - Your way now
http://www.realmusic.co.nz//play.php?ba ... =song_hifi

Download 128K - Your way now
http://www.realmusic.co.nz//download.ph ... =song_hifi
Last edited by System ERA on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”