Kingston shows stadium sized rock sound, and a secret!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So yeah,

I've posted a rare few songs here in my life, mostly bottom drawer stuff. Thought I'd do a "top of my crop" type thing now. This is a production from roughly a year a go. I'd consider it one of my best, and it's time to share it with you guys as well. :D

Where Have All the Hippies Gone

I did a quick pisstake of a re-master as I wanted to show my secret weapon of sound awesomation:

It's extensively featured on the master and contributes to the big sound. Look for a release in a month or so. It's a detailed model of gainstage/transformer interaction of top notch equipment. Guess that's what many of you've been looking for.

Right. Off you go now. Nothing to see here. :D
Last edited by Kingston on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Very Groovy man............. :D

bloody hippys with secret plugs :o

big track indeed, not often we get stuff like this posted round here but damn im glad it happens occassionally :)
refreshing indeed :D

Great tune, really impressive; I love the chord choices. I swear it sounds a little over-compressed to me, but that could just be all the pumping compression on the drums (were those Kingston Drums, btw?).

Great song, polished sound - I'd pick up your album for sure! Looking forward to the plug-in!

bduffy wrote:it sounds a little over-compressed
Hi, I'm Michael and I'm a compression addict. *hi michael!* Like any addict I swear to myself to to cut back on it, but as soon as it's right there in front of me I just can't say no. I have to have it all!

eheh :lol:

I'm hopeless when it comes to that, still trying to learn to overcompress *right* instead of just plain overcompressing.

The drums most certainly aren't kingstondrums, but BFD. There's just no way on earth to get that sound elsewhere apart from a real drummer. Come to think of it, I haven't used kingstondrums for eons. I'd say they're quite obsolete by now.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :)

sounds a bit flat, and the positioning of the instruments (in the spacial meaning) seems wrong to me. All a bit faux zep and supertramp, but its not my kinda tune, so what do i know.

bduffy wrote:Great tune, really impressive; I love the chord choices. I swear it sounds a little over-compressed to me, but that could just be all the pumping compression on the drums (were those Kingston Drums, btw?).
I liked the song, but was going to say the very same thing. Particularly at these sections:

1:38-2:05, 3:27-3:57.

One thing that bugged me listening over some very expensive cans (STAX electrostatics) was the lack of HF in the left channel and then you hit it with those guitars and I went 'aha - that was intentional' and then I was o.k. with it later in the song realizing the high frequency content would come back.

Kind of a better than Lenny Kravitz, Kravitzish kind of groove here.

-Scott

Kingston wrote:
bduffy wrote:it sounds a little over-compressed
Hi, I'm Michael and I'm a compression addict. *hi michael!* Like any addict I swear to myself to to cut back on it, but as soon as it's right there in front of me I just can't say no. I have to have it all!

eheh :lol:

I'm hopeless when it comes to that, still trying to learn to overcompress *right* instead of just plain overcompressing.

The drums most certainly aren't kingstondrums, but BFD. There's just no way on earth to get that sound elsewhere apart from a real drummer. Come to think of it, I haven't used kingstondrums for eons. I'd say they're quite obsolete by now.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. :)
Hey, I hear ya too - I love HUGE compression on drums. I just try to keep the master bus less squishy, but I'm still learning too. :D Hey, at least we're living in a compression-friendly market!

BFD. Of course. Should have known. :roll:

Be sure to let us know the millisecond that compressor/ehnahcer of yours hits the market! I had no idea you were a plugin dev too.

like is apparent from kriminals and rockstars commentary, my panning trickery divides opinions.

Kriminal, I'm never giving up on that since we have this thing called stereo, and it's generally underused (as in equals to mono) in most current music, especially with anything with real instrumentation.. I think that's why the mix "sounds wrong".

You aren't the first to say it. :lol:

Great stuff! The compression grows on you. ;)

Looking forward to trying out your secret weapon, too.

okay let's start of by saying I love the vocals on this tune.... very energetic....

the highs are quite odd as said before.... I thought hey are my new monitors gone balooney already....

and this high transient kinda stuff at 0:33 and with the drums sometimes... sounds quite odd....

kinda feels like the highs and the mids are to far apart - if that makes sense at all

but I really - did I say REALLY - like the song so who gives a f**k about production

cheers,
mully

i dont mean the stereo positions, i mean the front/back positions.

Kriminal wrote:i dont mean the stereo positions, i mean the front/back positions.
Well the two are interleaved concepts somewhat. Frequencyslotting/panning/delaytrickery/ambiences/MSexploits.

It *should* be one big ball of entwined sound. I'm still learning.

As was mentioned earlier, the master was a pisstake, so there most definitely would be inconsistencies.

Thanks for the comments everyone. :D

multree wrote:but I really - did I say REALLY - like the song so who gives a f**k about production
Yeah! :lol: Good point.

Nice tune but I would LOOOOOVE to hear a female sing this one.

My worthless opinion. :D

Not that the vocals are bad, i just hear a female singing this one.
Give me freedom or give me television

Return to “Music Cafe”