fLotsamsara

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

f**k.

*deletes Don's Cafe offering*
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

:dog:
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

You've dipped your toe in the sea of strangeness. Great tune! Very good production. Now it's time to get all wet ;-)

sickle: i give up; what's the image?

> I'm not getting dark from this, Rick. But it's a lot of fun. Like Tom Waits gone techno gypsy carnival.

another example of my mis-guessing the effect my music has on listeners. it's like my sense of direction: very underdeveloped. :-)

tom waits ... gypsy ... carnival. all very good! and here i thought it was post-webernian. ;-)

> I'd just suggest stop trying to label things and step further outside the box; you're halfway there allready

my problem is that i'm coming from music that's so outside the box it's practically in another dimension. (www.rachmiel.org/music/music.htm) now i'm trying to move inside the box to make my music more accessible/enjoyable for listeners. so to go inside the box *and* outside at the same time is a big challenge! :-)

so how might i step further outside the box as you suggest?

> Loving the madness that just reminds me of Delia, very early PF and TD.

umm ... please tell me what these are. (gaps in my history.)

i feel like i owe everyone an explanation. (many words ahead; please feel free to skim/skip.)

okay, why am i concerned with composing idm or electronica or another genre these days? because i feel that, up until recently, i was not participating in the "conversation" ... not paying much attention to the musical concerns that many other electronic music creators were working with. in fact, as soon as i heard someone do something, i would consciously AVOID doing anything like it ... it's my cowboy originality streak.

but that played itself out; one can only compose in a self-imposed vacuum for so long before reaching a dead end. so, to join the conversation, i decided to try my hand at/near a genre. of all the electronic genres, idm and electronica seemed the most interesting to me. ambient too, but i'm not so keen on one of ambient's "rules": length. i love short pieces; 2-5 minutes is ideal.

and that's why i keep harping on idm. but please understand that my goal is to get competent at idm techniques ... and then rachMielize them! i have no desire to become an autechre/squarepusher/aphex clone. even if i did, i could never get there: they are steeped in a musical culture i know only as a visitor.
Last edited by rachmiel on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachmiel wrote:sickle: i give up; what's the image?
One of the cryptographs of the Zodiac Killer.
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

rachmiel wrote:>> ...Delia, very early PF and TD.

umm ... please tell me what these are. (gaps in my history.)
Delia Derbyshire - BBC Radiophonic
TD - Tangerine Dream
PF - Pink Floyd, I assume

zodiac killer! i actually had a run in with him, very indirectly ... (true story.) back in my teenie days, hitchhiking in california.
Last edited by rachmiel on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

> Delia Derbyshire - BBC Radiophonic

still don't get this? what does delia have to do with bbc?

> TD - Tangerine Dream
> PF - Pink Floyd, I assume

aha! hey i know these guys! ;-)

thanks shamus.

sounds nice ... not dark at all really ... needs more cowbell (a big fuzzy distorted one) :hihi:

> It's way better than my Cafe offering today

if you mean your ms/mf piece, i vehemently disagree. i love that piece, put it in my mp3 archive.

rachmiel wrote:but i'm not so keen on one of ambient's "rules": length. i love short pieces; 2-5 minutes is ideal.
I think there is a lot of room for short ambient pieces. Might actually be refreshing.

I don't think it is a rule so much as a product of the kind of music it is, which tends be filled with very slow, minimal gestures. You can often only get so many of those gestures in under two minutes, so everything might seem a little incomplete/too easy to digest.

rachmiel wrote:> Delia Derbyshire - BBC Radiophonic

still don't get this? what does delia have to do with bbc?
Delia was one of the people behind the music for the original 1960's TV series Doctor Who ... which was made by the BBC

Return to “Music Cafe”