themed monthly?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sorry about putting a non-link-to-piece in here, but i wanted to make sure the regular mp3 uploaders saw it. :-)

is there any interest for a themed monthly upload fest? a theme would be posted, people would submit links to mp3s that addressed this theme, the results would be discussed, reviewed, critiqued, archived, etc.

i realize this sounds very close to the kvr monthly contests. the differences would be:

- no contest, no voting, no prizes: just uploads and discussion.

- the themes would be more abstract/musical (with an experimental edge): create a piece that uses silence as a musical layer, create a piece that has no effects, create a one-minute piece that has a full dramatic arc, etc.

- the pieces submitted would, ideally, be full-fledged pieces the composers could happily release outside the compilation.

please let me know if you would be interested in this. :-)

and, by the way, absolutely no disrespect intended for the existing monthly contests. they are brilliant, incredibly fun, and the songs are often top-notch.

+1

However, I think the Auditorium provides a more natural place to put up such themed events.

Speaking of monthly themes - I always head over to David Byrne's site each month to see what his monthly playlist includes. This month is high-quality Pop. The last couple of months have been old-school/traditional country music and today's purveyors of the same.

Rachmiel, if you don't know about the Auditorium, Click HERE

Send Peter (who hosts the Auditorium) and is here at KVR as SPE3D your idea. I think it's a great idea.

-Scott

Yes, i would love it if there would be a way to do these things without voting. I've tried to do something like this elsewhere before.

maybe a cool idea... especially for those that a really here a lot ..

for myself .. i think it might be hard though.. i don't tend to hang around all the time , and only post music once in a while... so it would be hard to arrive and see i hit the wrong month LOL

then you just quickly change the title of the track to fit the theme :hihi:

altho i like the idea i have to say the cafe gets cluttered these days what with all the comps and related stickys, it would be cool if we could split the cafe into two, one for all the sticky stuff and cd/album announcements and then a cafe just for tracks?
some days theres that many new tracks some people are pushed off page 1 within a couple of hours of posting.
i dont however wish to see the cafe segrgated by styles of music :o no way, just the two forums would make life easier :)

rockstar: i've been to the auditorium a bunch, am registered there, but don't really have a feeling for it. how do you think it compares with kvr? if you post music there, does it get listened to and reviewed? is there an "in club" ethos there: if you're not among the innies, you're basically an outtie?

jopy: where did you try to do it before?

fitch: another approach is rolling submissions. you create a theme (say: microtonality) and submissions are posted when they appear. no due dates.

vurtnik: i'll support your split the cafe campaign. and i know what you mean about mp3s sliding past page 1. it can happen very quickly, which is a shame.

thanks guys.

i'm getting the sense that this monthly themed non contest music submissions idea is not really resonating with the kvr crowd. i'll give it a couple of more days. if i don't hear more enthusiasm, i'll assume it won't work here. (which would be a shame, since there are a lot of interesting composers around.)

rachmiel wrote:rockstar: i've been to the auditorium a bunch, am registered there, but don't really have a feeling for it. how do you think it compares with kvr? if you post music there, does it get listened to and reviewed? is there an "in club" ethos there: if you're not among the innies, you're basically an outtie?

jopy: where did you try to do it before?

fitch: another approach is rolling submissions. you create a theme (say: microtonality) and submissions are posted when they appear. no due dates.

vurtnik: i'll support your split the cafe campaign. and i know what you mean about mp3s sliding past page 1. it can happen very quickly, which is a shame.

thanks guys.

i'm getting the sense that this monthly themed non contest music submissions idea is not really resonating with the kvr crowd. i'll give it a couple of more days. if i don't hear more enthusiasm, i'll assume it won't work here. (which would be a shame, since there are a lot of interesting composers around.)
I like this idea.... and I find the feedback at the Auditorium filled with lots of "music enthusiasts" rather than musicians. No disrespect but the feedback there is like "Really nice song, makes me feel happy... :hug: "...which is fine but not constructive.
I rarely have the time to dedicate to the KvR monthly because of the voting and the reviewing of songs.(although I still like the contest idea!) I like the concept as it seems more of a, drop in have a listen, learn something about a particular style, maybe participate directly and if you don't like it you can just pass.
I'm in....
dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

dano: thanks. :-) interesting about the auditorium ... i wonder if others agree about the feedback quality?

rachmiel wrote:dano: thanks. :-) interesting about the auditorium ... i wonder if others agree about the feedback quality?
KvR is definately the best forum that I have found for constructive, informative and worthwhile feedback...and I would rather have an all-in-one site than jump around.

dano
Isn’t that crazy?"

> would rather have an all-in-one site than jump around

does this extend to subforums? for example, if there was a music cafe (like there is now) AND an experimental wing, would you end up by visiting one and not the other?

rachmiel wrote:> would rather have an all-in-one site than jump around

does this extend to subforums? for example, if there was a music cafe (like there is now) AND an experimental wing, would you end up by visiting one and not the other?
Oh no, I meant KvR is my one stop shop....branches of the Cafe would be great....not too many though.
just listening to some of your music....interesting...Reaktor driven no doubt! :) I bet Kyma is on your shopping list!
dano
Isn’t that crazy?"

> just listening to some of your music....interesting...Reaktor driven no doubt!

mea culpa. ;-)

> I bet Kyma is on your shopping list!

<scarecrow from wizard of oz> if i only had the cash ... ;-)

rachmiel wrote:dano: thanks. :-) interesting about the auditorium ... i wonder if others agree about the feedback quality?
there seems to be an unwrittten policy about not being negative at the Auditorium, but the feedback I personally try to provide is about techniques and usage, more then about the quality of the composition.
This, I'm sure, is a bit different then other forums.
That said, other forums are filled with the 'in-crowd' types and it's quite difficult to get either noticed, or commented on.
The experimental section in the Auditorium is a bit stranger, as a lot of the work is 'under constuction'and looking for some direction.
It's not all experimental.
I do know that I have this habit of not trying to repeat myself too often, which is not a good policy in a forum, which kind of demands that technique, because noones gonna read all my posts, and run-on sentences with 4 thoughts are generally what they tryed to teach me not to do in school.

Then again, I'm relatively new to forums.

I'm not a moderator, just another dumb-ass who needs an outlet for my frustrations.

The auditorium needs more constructive critisizms and would be an excellent place for what you have in mind, imho.
Perhaps it would change the landscape a bit.

Its where when a person shares their input, they need to commmit the time it takes to analyze other's work.
This is the one area most forums apparently have a failing. People come quietly, post their 'stuff' and leave don't stay long.

And being a music enthusiest, I enjoy the effort someone took to accomplish their work as much as the results.
Part of the unwritten policy is based on certain types of comments
Critiszm noone needs is 'this is shitte'
or 'needs more cowbell' Thats best left in a forum like this one.j/k

Hope you use it, as it's where I like to post.

however-
There's been so much posted in the experimental section recently it's difficult to for me to keep up.

If the music is short enuf, (less then about 6 minutes) I will listen to the piece 3 times minimum, usually more, because that's what it takes for me to see through to the composer's intentions. maybe. sometimes.
Hell, I have to listen to my own finished mixes 3 or more times to see if I think I 'said it'.

imho... worthless as it appears
for entertaining porpoises only

rachmiel wrote:> just listening to some of your music....interesting...Reaktor driven no doubt!

mea culpa. ;-)

> I bet Kyma is on your shopping list!

<scarecrow from wizard of oz> if i only had the cash ... ;-)
ya...me too!

dano
Isn’t that crazy?"

And being a music enthusiest, I enjoy the effort someone took to accomplish their work as much as the results.
Part of the unwritten policy is based on certain types of comments
Critiszm noone needs is 'this is shitte'
Agreed, there is an art to being constructive without coming across like a know-it-all too. However, I have only had one instance where someone "attacked" my song because of something I said about his. you need to have big shoulders when someone is critical of your art, but you must take it all in stride. If you are asking for feedback, you are likely to get it, in all forms. If you can brush off most of the chaff, you'll do fine....i would prefer that, than hugs and kisses for responses. My wife can give me those. :)

dano
Isn’t that crazy?"

Return to “Music Cafe”