sleying the reed

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

a happy little atmospheric dirge for a snowy sunday evening:

www.rachmiel.org/sleying_the_reed.mp3

i used reaktor machines and some denatured samples.

comments welcome. :-)

I say it again; it seems you've been snooping around Delia's workshop again.

It's very compelling and missing out on black 'n white vampire visuals.

This is lovely. Like how delicate the lead is.

It does have a sort of old space vampire movie theme quality to it.

Delicate is the right word. You seem to be on an interesting journey.

mystahr, shamann, respirator: i'm very happy you all seem to like this little piece, because i very much respect all of your opinions.

delicate ... delia ... vampires ... there's a song in there somewhere. ;-)

thanks guys!

I really like this... nice pitch shifts, and the noise is at just the right volume to give it a vintage sound. Very theramin like. It might work well with a very subtle, sample of a woman singing (somewhat poorly), stretched through it. a woman howling kind of sample. Check out archive.org, they have a large collection of public domain 78's, some of the stuff on there is REALLY old. If you do a lot of music like this you might find some intersting stuff to tinker around with.

Very nice atmosphere overall.

Keep 'em coming!

BUMP

lowercase: thanks. :-) great idea with the 78 woman's voice! i used a whole bunch of old 78 material (mainly because it's royalty free!) in a recent f'loom album, put it between the main pieces as interludes. worked really well, kept listeners off balance.

runagate: thanks. i will keep 'em coming ... i don't think i could stop, even if i wanted to. (much to the chagrin, i fear, of the general populace!) composing is like breathing for me.

by the way, sleying the reed is a term from weaving. i chose it because the piece feels like woven fabric to me.

Ahh..rachWool speaks.

One of my favorite (co)works from you; so distinct I only used it once and never again.

I dig the dustiness of the piece alot; 'tis very delicate indeed.

Love the skipping effect(how did you do that?).

You've done some great stuff lately.
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

rachmiel wrote:runagate: thanks. i will keep 'em coming ... i don't think i could stop, even if i wanted to. (much to the chagrin, i fear, of the general populace!) composing is like breathing for me.
I know the feeling. I'm posting my umpteen tidbit I made in the last couple days right now.
It's part of my project to make "accessible" music (no danger of getting too straightlaced for me, no matter what my intentions it turns out whacko).
rachmiel wrote:by the way, sleying the reed is a term from weaving. i chose it because the piece feels like woven fabric to me.
I love that little bit of info!
I make so man allusions like that in song titles & lyrics that really I'm just entertaining myself (same with my music, really)

You take a look that the discussion over at The Auditorium in the new forum?
It has your name written all over it.

plan 11 from outer space ...

fuckin' great, rachmiel! all the disparate parts so beautifully enfolded around one another

> I dig the dustiness of the piece alot; 'tis very delicate indeed.

dusty! very nice. :-)

> Love the skipping effect(how did you do that?).

wish i could have a more mysterious answer ... but it's a layering of a few samples from a free collection of skipped loops that computer music magazine distributed a while back. i could send some to you if you want; they're very cool.

> You've done some great stuff lately.

thanks sickle! this coming from a man who really cares about music and isn't afraid to criticize ... means a lot.

Return to “Music Cafe”