"Proof of Concept"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Audioshots is down.
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

dystonia_ek wrote:

'Experimental Music' is not a style.
Pithily said.

Didn't Varese say something like:

I do not make experimental music. I experiment before making the music. Afterwards, it is the listener who must experiment

?

In any case, musical genre-terms are and have always been subject to all sorts of abuse. The less people know about a genre, the more this tends to happen.

I remember when a local record (meaning lps) store long ago had a section that contained Bartok, Neubauten, Steve Reich, Diamanda Galas, Hildegard von Bingen, Scriabin, Webern and Phillip Glass.

:!:

The section was labelled: "Experimental, Industrial, Out there, Weird".

Meaningless, perhaps, but I do remember that all of my favorite albums were from this section.

Since about this time, I have pretty much ignored genre names, which seem to have a life of their own.

herodotus wrote:Diamanda Galas
I sampled Plague Mass on my answering machine for years..

"There are no more tickets to the funeral....The funeral..is..CROWDED!!"

:hihi:

Sickle wrote:
herodotus wrote:Diamanda Galas
I sampled Plague Mass on my answering machine for years..

"There are no more tickets to the funeral....The funeral..is..CROWDED!!"

:hihi:
We got her to do a promo for the community radio station that we had a show on (avant garde music from 2 to 6 AM)

"This is KFAI. The communities voice for information, entertainment, and the arts, at 90.3 FM. This is the voice of sodomy, Diamanda Galas"

I will never forget waiting in line at the record store to do that. Nor will I forget the blood soaked performance of the previous night.

That woman totally rocks. I have been a fan of hers since the The litanies of Satan.

herodotus wrote:Nor will I forget the blood soaked performance of the previous night.

That woman totally rocks. I have been a fan of hers since the The litanies of Satan.
So I'm assuming you know the deal about her, then..

Sickle wrote:
herodotus wrote:Nor will I forget the blood soaked performance of the previous night.

So I'm assuming you know the deal about her, then..
You assume incorrectly.

Since becoming a one man loop factory I have become totally disconnected from the world of music that I actually listen to.

Pretty much the only time for recreational listening I get is at work. When I get home it is all just staring at this screen with my wave editor (with time out for this sort of thing).

What is the deal with her?

herodotus wrote:What is the deal with her?
Just stuff I heard about her from back in the day; not even sure how much of it's true or not. The rumor patrol was that she contracted HIV from her brother and would invite anyone onstage to f**k her in front of the audience while she was covered in that pig's blood or whatever it was..

Sickle wrote:
Just stuff I heard about her from back in the day; not even sure how much of it's true or not. The rumor patrol was that she contracted HIV from her brother and would invite anyone onstage to f**k her in front of the audience while she was covered in that pig's blood or whatever it was..
That's the most ridiculous urban legend I've heard about Diamanda, ever. This kind of thing tends to get attributed to anyone who uses blood in a performance, for some reason. Sort of like the myth of Rudolf Schwarzkogler's auto-castration.

I met Diamanda once, in 1992, and she seemed pretty down to earth, if a little remote.

dystonia_ek wrote:
Sickle wrote:
That's the most ridiculous urban legend I've heard about Diamanda, ever. This kind of thing tends to get attributed to anyone who uses blood in a performance, for some reason. Sort of like the myth of Rudolf Schwarzkogler's auto-castration.
Hey, I'm just telling you what was being passed around down south around '91-'92, it doesn't mean anything to me either way, so don't shoot the messenger..

:x

That's why I called it Rumor Patrol. I also heard something rediculous about her breaking into a New York Cathedral to record PLague Mass which cracked me up..As if people outside wouldn't have heard that shit..

:P

Here's the probable seed for the rumor:

http://www.researchpubs.com/books/angrexc1.shtml

edit: publicly admitting to having HepC probably didn't help much either. I can relate to that, believe me.

Interesting woman. I can't make it through much of her music, but she's straight-up original and unique.

Return to “Music Cafe”