"Proof of Concept"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My first offering to the Alchemaic Digitalis movement.

One sloppy take on the fly in Metaphysical Function with an....experimental..sample map I've been quietly working on(for once).

Dedicated to my good friend, Dystonia_ek.

Friends 4 Life
Part I
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Restrained, almost gentle to start, but becomes more insistent, like a nagging toothache...

Metaphysical Function, is that a reaktor thingo?

edit: typo
Last edited by suburban grilla on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'll say it once and I'll say it again;

Elusive and elating

A treat for the ears with that curly edge of near distro aided by that eerie and hauntingly padmosphere

Sickle wrote:My first offering to the Alchemaic Digitalis movement.

One sloppy take on the fly in Metaphysical Function with an....experimental..sample map I've been quietly working on(for once).

Dedicated to my good friend, Dystonia_ek.
:x :hihi:

Be back in a few minutes...

dystonia_ek wrote::x :hihi:
I figured that would amuse you.

:hihi:

8)

hi :)

:-o

8)

:D
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

:dog:

You're a good improviser with a natural feel for this sort of thing. Seems like you're pretty much in control of the sounds here, even if it's less developed than what you usually do. Sounds like some redlining toward the end, but maybe that's intentional. All in all, a nice, mysterious atmosphere.

I get the impression that the comment I made in that other thread ended up rubbing some folks the wrong way (and I assume the 'proof of concept' headline is a jab at that) - it wasn't intended to be some sort of dictatorial statement, just a personal viewpoint on 'experimentalism' versus, for example, improvisation (which, though spontaneous, is not necessarily experimental). I probably should have pointed out that I think the aesthetics of music are basically superfluous, and that the meat of the matter is found in what the sounds suggest beneath the surface, no matter what sort of sounds they might be.

Maybe it's also that this 'what is experimental music' discourse has been running in a loop everywhere I've been for the last two decades... eventually the same circular discussions cease to have any point. Sometimes you have to make a provocative statement just to point the conversation in a less pedantic direction.

One viewpoint similar to that of my own, maybe useful for context, is that of Stefan Knappe of Maeror Tri/Troum (forgive the somewhat stilted English, he's German):

http://www.troum.com/maeror/archaic.music.html

Note that the vague category of music he's trying to define has little to do with any sort of experiments in process, it has everything to do with creating something that is somehow greater than the sum of its parts. The other thing that can be observed about many artists that could be said to be following this path, is that there's really no sense of hit-and-miss flailing about in the dark. The music just comes out, fully formed, without hesitation, affirmative (this doesn't mean that it has to be attached to any variety of concrete conceptual intentions). You hear that in the best free improvisation, when it's really on. Your own music does this often. Does this mean a successful experiment? Or does it mean that you've coming closer to the point where you know exactly what you're doing, and why?

Anyway, this is getting long, so end of rant.

suburban grilla wrote:Metaphysical Function, is that a reaktor thingo?
Sorry, yes, it's from Reaktor's Electronic Instruments v2.

Well, this requires a little more active listening than most of your work. I find myself leaning into it...

Straight to the 'keep' folder.
Rakkervoksen

dystonia_ek wrote:Sounds like some redlining toward the end, but maybe that's intentional. All in all, a nice, mysterious atmosphere.
It was. I had Flatblaster's peak limiter set at -.005 through the recording to help tame it, but yeah, pretty much came out exactly how I intended it to.
dystonia_ek wrote:I get the impression that the comment I made in that other thread ended up rubbing some folks the wrong way (and I assume the 'proof of concept' headline is a jab at that) -
Yeah, it's a jab, but I'm not one of the people you rubbed the wrong way at all; quiete the contrary; I got a good laugh out of the unexpected burst of non-pretentious honesty that you dropped into the discussion.

For the record, I agree not only with what you said there, but also with what you have said here.

Completely. I might not have gone down as deep as you have, but trying to explain the point of Black Angels to a metalhead in the early 90's was a real chore..And I'm sure you remember the uncomfortable crossing over some experienced between pure grindcore and this weird new Godlflesh shit..

That really polarized alot of people for a few years. Me, I saw the Future.

Bottom line about all that is, my main context in the arguments was for a place to provide. My role in the discussions began and ended there.

That way, I can get back to making my crap in peace.

:violin:

Hovmod wrote:Well, this requires a little more active listening than most of your work. I find myself leaning into it...

Straight to the 'keep' folder.
If you guess what the sample(s) is/are you win a bannana courtesy of spaceman.

I hear bananna's are really good in Belgium this time of year.

:hyper:

the use of MF is something that always has drawn my interest ...
the potential of this .ens , with the innovative use of samples ,
opens all sorts of portals ...

the track contains elements that are veiled and can only be indirectly referenced ...
hauntingly familiar , but disturbingly altered ...
if you'd care to expound , on your sample map , i'd like to hear about it ...

Sickle wrote: Completely. I might not have gone down as deep as you have, but trying to explain the point of Black Angels to a metalhead in the early 90's was a real chore..And I'm sure you remember the uncomfortable crossing over some experienced between pure grindcore and this weird new Godflesh shit..
I remember when the Grindcrusher comp came out at the end of the 80's - a friend of mine who ran a punk/metal distro played it to me, saying 'It's all really good except for this one shitty track,' and he played the Godflesh (the title track from 'Streetcleaner'). I tried to convince him how f**king amazing it was but he was like 'drum machines suck, man'. What can you do.

I think the metal folks are a little more open minded now, though. Just took awhile.

normal wrote:if you'd care to expound , on your sample map , i'd like to hear about it ...
heh..

'Friends 4 Life' is a phrase that has nothing to do with Dystonia; it's an ironic perversion of sentiment that I've been kicking around in my head for a few weeks. I intend to be cruel.

This hopefully(if I can maintain productivity in the face of ALOT of current tasks), is the first of a(future) series.

Return to “Music Cafe”