March Contest: RULES and SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Masquerade

Hide who you are, become someone else.

Last month we (hopefully!) brought out an uncensored "you" and loosened your leash to run wild for a bit. This month, I'd like you to supress the "you-ness" by stepping into somebody else's shoes and putting in more attention to detail to solidify your disguise.

Easiest way would be to emulate someone else (pro, kvr, unknown, or imagined). Or you can create from whole cloth by studying a genre and playing to its representative elements. Some amount of research, analysis, and consideration should go into either approach: be a dedicated student of your selection.

To this end, you can borrow someone else's vocals if you want, or at least be sure to disguise your own (ooh, what a giveaway!). You can do a cover, though preferably only if attempting to reproduce the sound of the original: the idea is to adopt an artist's identity, not merely use their work as a basis for your own style (which you're allowed to do in many of our contests already).

Most important, entries will be ANONYMOUS: see details below. Otherwise it's a free for all.

SPECIAL ONE-MONTH-ONLY RULES (SO PAY ATTENTION!)

1 - Submissions MUST follow these rules:

(a) PM ME WITH A DOWNLOAD LINK, which I will host and rename to keep this particular contest anonymous. I will also post it to this thread in its new form.

FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST A FAKE NAME AND TITLE FOR THE TRACK, or I'll make one up for you if you'd like.

(b) DO NOT COMPLETELY MASTER YOUR ENTRY, or at least no "finalizer" effects (mastering reverb, maximizers, enhanacers), as I will do this myself to homogenize sound (similar to radio broadcast post-procesing) as part of the obfuscation.

(c) Submit entry to me in highest bitrate as possible to preserve resolution for my above-mentioned finalization. Your original submission doesn't necessarily have to be in .mp3 format, as I will re-encode it to .mp3 myself.

(d) A STRICT MAXIMUM of TWO MINUTES in length. Starting in 2006 I'm going to be SERIOUS about this rule. If it shows up as 2:01 in my player, then I'll allow it for reasons of rounding in different players. But you shouldn't take that chance! Any longer gets a DISQUALIFICATION. That said, if a submitted track is over length, all contestants should feel free to mock the offending entrant mercilessly into getting permission to enter a new version of correct length.

Mind, for this month I'll be previewing the track for acceptability, so if I decide to add a second on the end of the track after my mix, it's still legal because it's my fault.

(d) submitted before 11:59 PM Friday 24th March.

2 - Your track SHOULD also ...

(a) be composed specifically for this contest

(b) be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio

(c) have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie - "06_02_artistname_tracktitle.mp3") or something similar bearing this info. Use your real username for this purpose.

(d) have AT LEAST the REAL artist and title fields of the file's ID tag completed (help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries), to help me keep identities straight this month.

3 - Only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

4 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed

5 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until 11:59 PM Friday 31st March - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified

PRIZES

George from discoDSP has been so kind as to donate a prize of their FX Bundle (a $99 value) for EVERY month this year.

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their products this month (and later months until further notice).

There may be other prizes.

dont forget ... you can also check out all this months tracks in one easy process over on MARKLEFORD RADIO ...

... and download them all using garret's handy DOWNLOAD TOOL
Last edited by Markleford on Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Bad Nutrition - Left

John Frankenbarry - After the Storm

Kronos Eros - Cuffed

Miss Me - Flower Power

Smithee & Co. - Insects' World

The Colourist - Spectra

XIRRIX - vurty

Last edited by Markleford on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Whiners - Poem

Victory Rose - Íslenskur

Zz is for Zzero - Leaving the Motherland

Return to “Music Cafe”