cron: Patchwork

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's something I did a little while ago in the studio where I study. No computers involved ( :-o ).

Lots and lots of feedback through lots and lots of different devices, eventually mixed to a digital multitrack with an interface not entirely unlike a mobile phone.

cron-patchwork.mp3

Give me your best shot. :hihi:

Bang!

Lovely piece. Quite mellow. Suddenly it's gone.

> Give me your best shot

never say that unless you mean it. ;-)

there are some nice things in here, it's quite an engaging little abstract journey. i like the way it breathes, creates space for listening. formally, it feels a bit haphazard to me, like idea gives way to idea without some overarching vision. perhaps this is what you wanted? some sections are sonically rich, others sound a bit too held back, monosonic.

Cheers for listening guys.

I can see where you're coming from with the comments about the structure rachmiel, since the last section didn't really go in the direction I was after. I was hoping to gradually go simpler and simpler until there was only a sine tone left, but the continuation of hell in a feedback chamber seems to have worked out.

Thanks again.

It's like World's Fair music. Space is our future.........

Fun stuff. I sort of agree on the structure, a recurring event or a rephrasing of earlier sounds towards the end would have helped tie it together.

Madd assh sounds in a rather beautiful evolution

It even includes the 50hz interference that my dig.mixer displays on a daily basis. Ok, so no computer was used here, but could you tell what tools you did use? The feedback you got out of it is awefully nice and evocative 8)

Sort of goes back to the 60's in a really nice way - something almost Dockstader-esque about the atmosphere. I'm a sucker for feedback music, so this totally made me happy.

Thanks folks.

The World's Fair music comment has me tickled. I can't listen to this without thinking of it as anything but now. The mention of Dockstader is welcome too. He's one of my favourite early composers of electronic music. All points towards this track being a bit 50s/60s boffin, which pleases me no end.

Mystahr, hard to recall to be honest. Most of the time the sound is being generated by a loop with just one device (+ compressor) in it. I remember the fat bass early on in the track being feedback through a Behringer Tube Composer. There's a lot of stuff in there which was done by putting an EQ unit into feedback then playing the sliders like a (very oddly tuned) musical keyboard. A Yamaha multi-effects unit (SP-something or other) made some great sounds in feedback, but I couldn't really find anywhere to put them in the track. And most of the last minute or two was a Quadraverb (on delay mode) in feedback with me sitting adjusting the EQ on the unit (mobile phone style :P ) to shape the tone. If any of it is evocative, I'd say it comes mainly from the arrangement above all else. Almost all of the source recordings have no structure or inherent musicality. I wouldn't even go so far as calling them improv.

Cheers chaps!

Anybody else?

One bump only.

bumped worked ;)

Lots of interesting spooky noises there , esp. the subby bass freqs grab me, I'd love to hear this on big speakers (on speakers even) to get the full impact of it.

As with all the avantgadish/soundscapey stuff I'm listening toat the moment I can't help but think it's mostly about creepy/unsettling vibes and a little like early Sonic Youth, which is a good thing in my books!

Marco :)

Thanks for listening Bonteburg. A few people have said they find the last portion creepy. It is quite bleak compared to the first half.

Cheers!

Return to “Music Cafe”