Polyslax - Ambient Track - Kick The Gong Around

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I've gone all soundscapey this past week (probably due to the enthusiasm for such around these parts). So, I give you:

Kick The Gong Around

128 bit .mp3
13.2 mb

Yup, it's rather long (14+ minutes), but it wouldn't be a proper soundscape otherwise! If you have the time please check it out and leave a comment.

If you're curious about the title, check here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... e=19980211

Cheers!
Last edited by polyslax on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

Anybody had a chance to take this out for a spin, or is the length putting people off? Maybe I'll add 'ambient' to the thread title so it's more clear.
Image Image

Bit too late for listening now...
...have downloaded for later :)

nice and subdued piece, quiet and still in parts very relaxing, as for length...
is there such a thing as too long?
if there is i havent heard that track yet ;)

gorgeous opium dream of a piece...of course, I've never had the opportunity to actually kick the gong around so I'm extrapolating but still...I feel like someone has smeared vaseline on the lens of my third eye and I'm moving through a very dense though transparent atmosphere...kinda the same feeling I get from listening to javanese gamalan (I know it's different music but same feeling for me).

No, not too long at all...a wonderous place to inhabit for 14+ minutes.

very gooooovy tune dude. :-o

barely there underwaterscape...
Sits in the back of the mind and reminds you of its presence once in a while.
8)

Very quiet (perhaps normalise and slightly compress the mixdown?) but very, very beautiful. You drift along on a fascinating and pleasureable journey.

Hi polyslax

Nice tones, distortion, resonance, etc. Could you expand on the process for this track?

Thank you all for listening and posting your comments! It means a great deal to me and I really appreciate it.

@respirator: yes, you know I did several mixes with more of a mastering approach but I didn't really like the way they sounded. In the end I slapped a slight bit of compression across the master to give it some glue and left it quieter and a bit more dynamic. I didn't explore a lot of options though so it may be that I'll revisit ways to bring the levels up a bit.

@ Genetic_Junk: Thanks for your interest, I'll try and synopsize this for you...
First, I considered this kind of a one-off, so I didn't keep a proper series of incremental change files and I didn't even record to midi, everything went straight to audio. I recorded about a dozen long (ie. 300-400 bars) tracks of Tassman 4, really playing the knobs as I went. A number of these were sent for re-processing through Tassman fx, again playing the fx knobs as I went. I believe some Nitro and PSP MD608 were used here as well. I also recorded 1 Kontakt track which was doubled, fx put on the double, then the 2 tracks mixed through a bus with MD608 and recorded to another track. I also recorded 3 tracks of µTonic which were heavily effected with Tassman fx and MD608.

After that it was a matter of placing the tracks in the proper sequence and riding the faders to try and create a final mix that was interesting.

Actually, I did record 1 additional track which is not in this mix. I played my acoustic guitar through the following effect chain... Quad Frohmage->MD608->MinimonstaFX... sounded great but I couldn't really get the track to gel with the mix... I'll save it for something else though!

Big thanks again to all. :D
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”