Mastering Contest: The Sequel!!!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kilroy wrote:Just got round to looking at this...the track seems to start rather abruptly...gets right into it. Not a problem if this is planned, but I just always feel better checking to be sure.
Hey Kilroy - yeah, it gets goin' from beat 1! You know, I probably should leave a blank bar at the start, I guess that's common practice? That might be a little tight for the audio engine, I don't know - does it sound clipped? Too much? This is the intro, I never really came up with an intro to the intro, but most of my other tunes have some kind of work-in...

No problem here...I kind of figured it started right in.

Intros...who need em. :hihi:
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

Take 5 is uploading now ... give it about 20 minutes to finish uploading before you nab it.

The major change is I reduced the low end somewhat, and had to compensate for the loss in perceived volume by slamming it through the limiter a bit harder.

I will say that to my ears I somewhat prefer take 4 myself to take 5, but it's not my opinion that counts! Let me know if any further tweaks are needed ...

kilroy wrote:No problem here...I kind of figured it started right in.

Intros...who need em. :hihi:
:lol:

dburgan wrote:Take 5 is uploading now ... give it about 20 minutes to finish uploading before you nab it.

The major change is I reduced the low end somewhat, and had to compensate for the loss in perceived volume by slamming it through the limiter a bit harder.

I will say that to my ears I somewhat prefer take 4 myself to take 5, but it's not my opinion that counts! Let me know if any further tweaks are needed ...
dburgan! I was just about to write and ask if you could submit one like Take 4 but with a big reduction in bass; my brother said his sub almost hit the ceiling when he played that one! But I like the smoothness in the rest of the mix. You know, I wouldn't worry about the gain so much, but I'll download it and see. Thanks! :D

Dburgan! That's sounding really good to me; let me play it for the boys and see what they say. The limiter sounds a little intense by the ending, but I really like the tone you're getting with the guitars, a real milky sort of sound...sweet! You're getting some good punch, the vocal is sitting well, except the "tell me did you see" distorted bit; I think that may be a mix thing, my guitar is precisely in his range. I like this quite a lot, I'll listen again tomorrow with fresh ears.

Hey bduffy...how big a factor is level going to be to you? If you want lots of clean gain I will have to EQ for it. By clean gain I mean waaaay cleaner than that OLP sample but with similar loudness.

That OLP track is one distorted mess. Makes you wonder why these blokes use high profile studios. :nutter:

bduffy wrote:
dburgan wrote:Take 5 is uploading now ... give it about 20 minutes to finish uploading before you nab it.

dburgan! I was just about to write and ask if you could submit one like Take 4 but with a big reduction in bass; my brother said his sub almost hit the ceiling when he played that one! But I like the smoothness in the rest of the mix. You know, I wouldn't worry about the gain so much, but I'll download it and see. Thanks! :D
Well, if you're not worried about volume, I'd definitely suggest we reduce the gain on this thing about 3 dB. That would definitely loosen things up a little. But I assume you want to be radio-ready, so I used Dave Matthews track as a volume guide. Take 5 is in the same ballpark as that Matthews track, volume wise.

kilroy wrote:Hey bduffy...how big a factor is level going to be to you?
Ah well...it's late...and I'm a bit knackered. May as well start high...we can always work our way back down. See what you think, anyroad.

http://www.headroomproductions.com/Mast ... Master.wav

This is about all I can manage after a long day, so if it sounds any good, all the credit goes to an enormous pot of *really* strong java.

OK just for giggles, I tried mastering the track using all-free VST plugins (i.e. instead of the non-free ones I usually use). The result I uploaded as my "free" take. I didn't bother uploading a flac, because it's really just a curiosity, not a serious master. Listen to it and you'll hear why.

The lesson I learned: tools really do matter. All the talent in the world is not gonna make a crap limiter sound transparent, nor a crap EQ sound smooth.

Anyway it was an interesting exercise. I'm not gonna say who the authors were who wrote the free plugins I ended up using because I don't want them to think I disrespect them.

kilroy wrote:
kilroy wrote:Hey bduffy...how big a factor is level going to be to you?
Ah well...it's late...and I'm a bit knackered. May as well start high...we can always work our way back down. See what you think, anyroad.

http://www.headroomproductions.com/Mast ... Master.wav

This is about all I can manage after a long day, so if it sounds any good, all the credit goes to an enormous pot of *really* strong java.
My god, don't kill yourself, man! I'm downloading now.

As for loudness; I don't want to get carried away with loudness. What I liked best about the OLP track, really, is the bass and the mixing - I would have loved to hear that tune before the limiter got pulled down! It's too damn loud; you cannot rip that song without digital distortion; a travesty. So forget that. Don't get too hung up on bass boosts or loudness; I think my mix came out pretty well for low end content, and I'm just hoping for enough gain that I don't sound totally ameteurish next to a modern record.

But the other day, when I was looking for reference material, I was pretty shocked by the difference in levels in commercial recordings, when you really pay attention. So just see how loud you can get it. I think this song is prone to sounding 'pumping' too, because I was leaning on some compressors for the drum sound, and it's a pretty stuffed sonic pallette too!

Hell, just do loudness to taste. Surprise me. :D

dburgan wrote:OK just for giggles, I tried mastering the track using all-free VST plugins (i.e. instead of the non-free ones I usually use). The result I uploaded as my "free" take. I didn't bother uploading a flac, because it's really just a curiosity, not a serious master. Listen to it and you'll hear why.

The lesson I learned: tools really do matter. All the talent in the world is not gonna make a crap limiter sound transparent, nor a crap EQ sound smooth.

Anyway it was an interesting exercise. I'm not gonna say who the authors were who wrote the free plugins I ended up using because I don't want them to think I disrespect them.
Holy jeez, this I gotta hear, cool idea! Downloading now...

dburgan wrote:Well, if you're not worried about volume, I'd definitely suggest we reduce the gain on this thing about 3 dB. That would definitely loosen things up a little. But I assume you want to be radio-ready, so I used Dave Matthews track as a volume guide. Take 5 is in the same ballpark as that Matthews track, volume wise.
This is sounding good, I still find the bass is swallowing the track, though; even on smaller speakers. If you get around to another pass, I found that dialing down the low end, rolling of some high end and, for some reason, when I was fiddling with an EQ, boosting a bit in the 5.6k region sounded good. Sounds great though! Will check out the freebie master!

Kilroy! This is sweet! Woo! :-o Great job!!! You've really got a clean middle and highs on this one. Shit, fantastic. I need to check on some other speakers when I get a chance, but this is awesome.

I have two new takes to peep, but the ftp server is inaccessible from here for some reason. I'll keep tryin ...

Return to “Music Cafe”