Not a John Lennon Knock Off

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you like this song

Yes
50%
No
No votes
Sort of
50%

Total votes: 2

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am attaching a new song for comments thoughts and criticism. My wife thinks that it sounds like Just Like Starting Over by John Lennon. I think that it embellishes the opening chords of that song (and I'm sticking to my story!).

My ears are tired tonight but it feels like I downplayed the mid section of the song (piano, guitars) too much. Would love opinions.

The song is Till All My Tears Run Dry at the attached link.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=405294

Updated and remixed.

Yup, the chord progression is not that unusual (reminds me more of Supertramp's "good bye stranger ..." than "starting over") but that's not a problem. Some good elements in there but the mix doesn't help them to show. Needs a lot of work IMHO starting with better drums and guitar sounds. Sorry if my comments sound harsh :wink:
If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain

No problem with criticism. Can you be a little more specific with what you would change on the guitar and drums. Much appreciated. I am still relatively new at this.

Oh that is VERY John Lennon (Yoko! Call the lawyers!)

Just kidding, I think you're safe. Its evocative of his style without being a straight lift of anything (at least not that I recognize). Not an easy thing to do actually!

Production is bothering me a bit, particularly in the low end. Needs more oomph down there. Good playing and singing though! I'm in Toronto too, wanna start a new Beatles? ;)

You ever hear of a band called The Auteurs? Your voice reminds me a lot of that guy's. (Listening to I Fall Down now.)

[quote="AdmiralQuality"]Oh that is VERY John Lennon (Yoko! Call the lawyers!)

I'm in Toronto too, wanna start a new Beatles? ;)

Sure. Seriously do you have any music I can listen to?

Zaman wrote:No problem with criticism. Can you be a little more specific with what you would change on the guitar and drums. Much appreciated. I am still relatively new at this.
what are you currently using? (Host, Drums, guitars)

PM or email me at aq _at_ admiralquality.com :)

I've not got much finished new music (combination of not being able to make much noise in my place, and spending all my time lately deveoping VSTs) So most of my new stuff is just snippets and experiments while I wait to build a proper studio somewhere where I can rock out (i.e. sing or play and acoustic guitar without bothering my neighbours)

But I've got some old stuff, some even Beatleesque, from the late 80's early 90's that you might get a laugh out of.

zeoy wrote:
Zaman wrote:No problem with criticism. Can you be a little more specific with what you would change on the guitar and drums. Much appreciated. I am still relatively new at this.
I am using Sonar Home Studio XL, BFD for Drums (I am doubly embarrased with my drum tone given how excellent this program is), POD XT for guitars and Bass V-Amp for the Bass. I am also unsing Sonitus Plugs and PSP warmer for some analogue/ distortion.

Thanks

Zaman wrote:
zeoy wrote:
I am using Sonar Home Studio XL, BFD for Drums (I am doubly embarrased with my drum tone given how excellent this program is), POD XT for guitars and Bass V-Amp for the Bass. I am also unsing Sonitus Plugs and PSP warmer for some analogue/ distortion.

Thanks

:-o you got some great gear there buddy! Maybe soundclick (or mp3 compression) is screwing your sound. If that's not the case you should work your skills on EQing-compressing and mixing in general cause drums and guitar sounded very harsh to my ears.

Lennon? No, but a tiny nod to Eddie Money's "Baby Hold On" and maybe one for "Laughing" by the Guess Who. Anytime a song goes I-Iaug-vi, it is going to invite comparison. I wouldn't worry about it. And except for the unusual syncopation of the snare in the first verse, I like where you're going with it.
Alan Peterson, Washington DC
Adult Movie Name: Tippy Arlington
Star Wars Name: Lan Osret
Mob Name: "Duh Big Swede"

Return to “Music Cafe”