angry ranting DnB

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is really nothing like our other mono.log tracks, and we had a ball making it :D

mono.log - Pussy Whipped MoFo :: download // stream

lyrics are here

It's a fast, noisy, twisted, angry industrial/DnB number with theOrphan ranting like a good 'un (no more Dave Gahan comparisons!).

All comments and criticism welcome, particularly on the mix, which was a struggle at times given the intensity of some parts.

I honestly don't know what constitutes the DnB genre and I couldn't care less. But I rather like this track. Great fun!

The song is cool. As for the mix, it needs to be EQd better. Overall, the song sounds flat and distant.
Polish this one up cause it's a good track.

sekret_HsH wrote:The song is cool. As for the mix, it needs to be EQd better. Overall, the song sounds flat and distant.
+1

:tu:

Very nice! i love it. :love:

Thanks all for listening folks :D
sekret_HsH wrote:The song is cool. As for the mix, it needs to be EQd better. Overall, the song sounds flat and distant.
It was a bugger to mix, especially the bass. Any tips for making it less flat?

It sounds pretty cool, but maybe you need to give the drums a bit more punch. The compression you're using on the drums sounds like it's making them really flat dynamically, and the kick is saturating it, so I'd have another look at that myself ... After that, I guess you'd have to see what it sounds like, maybe then you'll be able to pump them up a bit more :)

This does sound really good in terms of the composition, but the mix needs a bit of sorting out; once it's nice and shiny I think it'll sound great 8)
-Veg
(:

de la Mancha wrote:
It was a bugger to mix, especially the bass. Any tips for making it less flat?
It all depends on how your tracks are setup. Do you have each drum part on their respective tracks or are they all coming out of a stereo mix with compression? Personally, with DnB, i have found that since it gets busy with the beats, it is best to put the MAIN kick/snare etc. each on their own respective tracks where individual compression etc. can be added and the additional drum loops or whatever can be on a stereo mix. This widens things up a bit. You have to experiment with the EQing. Alot of times, you hear a bass frequency a certain way and become accustomed to it. Once you start EQing it, it never sounds right although it may be the exact frequency needed for a better/wider sound.
This is where outside ears come in. Or, lay off for about a day or two, come back to it and go all out with EQing. Save the song to a new file so that way you can come back to the original mix for a starting point.
FInally, if you have a saturator (my new love), place at the master outs for a nice warm touch so the mix doesn't sound "in the back" (remember to get rid of any clipping first).

Someone may mention side chaining compression for kick/bass clarity. This is tricky and shouldn't always be a solution. That's just my opinion. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
For DnB, due to the fast drum patters, Side chaining may not work right.
Anyhow, HTH.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, this may also help a bit. Mix your whole track muting the bass. Do the whole mix and THEN unmute the bass and fit that in with the rest of the track so it doesn't overpower etc.
Last edited by sekret_HsH on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This IS a pretty fun, decent track.

Thanks guys

@ vegetarian - there is a truckload of compression on the drums, maybe I need to back off there

@ sekret_HsH - I have each drum (kick, snare, open hat, closed hat etc) going through it's own mixer channel, then they all get routed into one group channel. eq is different on each channel, but the compression and other effects are on the group channel. I'll try moving compression to the indivdual channels. I've never tried that tip about muting the bass, but I'll give it a go too. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Music Cafe”