hear my new album "Lepidoptera"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.shanesanders.com/lepidoptera/

You might like track 7 (it's my current favorite). Track 8 is quite calming.

Not sure how long I'll leave these up there, so enjoy 'em while you can. It's about 35 minutes of music that was labored over in one way or another. When I'm done wading through some other finished stuff, the track list will grow.

I'm kind of into 'episodes' at the moment, just abstract impressionist type stuff. The longest track is 6.5 minutes and the shortest is 2 minutes, so there's no need to worry about opus-level listening times.

Comments, good or bad, are welcome.

some beautiful work here , shane ...
your productions skills are enviable ...

:hail:

normal wrote:some beautiful work here , shane ...
your productions skills are enviable ...

:hail:
Thank you!

I pass all the credit along to the programmers like Voxengo who are making plug-ins that make it easy for a non-technical person like me to get better results with production.
Last edited by Shane Sanders on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giving a listen now. Always love your work . . . very nice web page, too.

M'kay, finished listening. Very nice, as expected. I know you're not finished but [critical mode] as a work overall I think their may need to be more volume variation. It seems to stay at a fairly consistent volume overall and some of the sections would sound better if they were a little quieter.[/critical mode]

As always, I love your pacing, sense of mystery, and the way you blend instrumentation.

emdot_ambient wrote:M'kay, finished listening. Very nice, as expected. I know you're not finished but [critical mode] as a work overall I think their may need to be more volume variation. It seems to stay at a fairly consistent volume overall and some of the sections would sound better if they were a little quieter.[/critical mode]

As always, I love your pacing, sense of mystery, and the way you blend instrumentation.
I agree with you. I still have that "keep the levels pretty high" mentality and also have trouble keeping control over some mid-range freqs. My room isn't great, either, but I've learned how to compensate for that somewhat. Was there a particular track that suffered more or was it an across the board type thing?

Also, did you listen in headphones or speakers? I enjoy these much more as headphone experiences, but miss the low-end when doing that.

Your musical larvae has emerged in it's full glory?
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:Your musical larvae has emerged in it's full glory?
Fullness, kinda. Glory, doubtful at this point. I'm the ugly butterfly. The gray one that looks like a moth. The one that hides on steel and concrete among the feeble bipedal man-beasts...

:hihi:

ImageEven the moths can dazzle. Shine on.......
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

very nice shane.... your stuff is always a good example of how to get your production just so....

soothing 8)

wow, Shane, very cool.
I think pillow was my immediate favorite, #8 though I always liked the idle truck, too.
What was the guiding vision of the album?
..what goes around comes around..

ouroboros wrote:wow, Shane, very cool.
I think pillow was my immediate favorite, #8 though I always liked the idle truck, too.
What was the guiding vision of the album?
Thanks for checking them out! I like 'truck', too. That's mostly xoxos instruments on that one.

As for guiding visions, I think these tracks just happened each in their own 'space', mostly just when I was feeling creative and had time to bounce back and forth between make-sounds-mode and make-compositions-mode. My observation is that they all unfold more like moods than they do as compositions with development, a climax and aftershocks. My past albums have been more about trying to retain a shape in a piece, but these are more like shapeless statements.

However, the 'Phantom Pain' piece had a descriptive score, so it is more like what I normally do. But still, these are just meandering soundscapes that I ended up liking for various reasons. Oddly, 'Stickman' is about 18 years old now, if memory serves. I finally felt like it fit in with some other stuff I had done, so it will emerge as an officially released track. The master sequences to it are lost now, so it is what it is. No revision is possible. It was mixed down to cassette and it is a testament to Adobe Audition that it sounds as good as it does given the limitations of going from a digitized cassette recording to what you hear now.

I think the remainder of the album will be more like 'Pillow', so bookmark this thread you'll be able to get the rest of the stuff when I'm ready to roll out with it. Again, thanks for listening and taking time to give me feedback.
:)

Is there any way to download this stuff?
I've not listened yet, but would like to grab to check it out later. :hyper:

Glassback wrote:Is there any way to download this stuff?
I've not listened yet, but would like to grab to check it out later. :hyper:
Currently it's just available as a stream. Once the album is complete and mastered, I think I'll post them along with my other albums.

Well, finally got chance to listen all the way through.
Nice sounds, nice soundscaping.

I guess I was hoping for something a bit more "accessible".
Have you ever done anything like this with your dub stuff for instance? :love:

Return to “Music Cafe”