hear my new album "Lepidoptera"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, great soundscapes!

What kit did you use?
A well-behaved signature.

Glassback wrote:Well, finally got chance to listen all the way through.
Nice sounds, nice soundscaping.

I guess I was hoping for something a bit more "accessible".
Have you ever done anything like this with your dub stuff for instance? :love:
:lol: Yeah, the only thing really accessible about these is that they're short.

No, it's a rare thing for me to do a dub track. I have maybe five of them total. One day I'm gonna attempt a beautiful trip-hop album/EP, though. One day. Some groundwork has been done but nothing I'd post.

JerGoertz wrote:Wow, great soundscapes!

What kit did you use?
Thanks. Kit is too numerable to mention. I like freeware and I have a lot of commercial stuff, too. But honestly, anyone could make albums like this all day long with nothing but a mic, a voice, free effects, and a full-featured wave editor. There is an entire world in the sound of a mic being scraped along a block of wood or the sound of a throat hissing and gurgling. Ya just gotta want it to become music is all. :)

Shane Sanders wrote:There is an entire world in the sound of a mic being scraped along a block of wood or the sound of a throat hissing and gurgling. Ya just gotta want it to become music is all. :)
Amen to that. I've created some pretty amazing (IMNHO :)) granular patches in Absynth using some perhaps "unlikely" source .wav's.
A well-behaved signature.

listened to (and enjoyed) tracks 7 and 8, very impressive stuff (as usual...)
too bad there's no DL.

Moths this all about?

cptgone wrote:listened to (and enjoyed) tracks 7 and 8, very impressive stuff (as usual...)
too bad there's no DL.
Just be patient. I've never been about making money. But quality control is an issue. When it's done it'll be done. hehe. :)

Shane Sanders wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:M'kay, finished listening. Very nice, as expected. I know you're not finished but [critical mode] as a work overall I think their may need to be more volume variation. It seems to stay at a fairly consistent volume overall and some of the sections would sound better if they were a little quieter.[/critical mode]

As always, I love your pacing, sense of mystery, and the way you blend instrumentation.
I agree with you. I still have that "keep the levels pretty high" mentality and also have trouble keeping control over some mid-range freqs. My room isn't great, either, but I've learned how to compensate for that somewhat. Was there a particular track that suffered more or was it an across the board type thing?

Also, did you listen in headphones or speakers? I enjoy these much more as headphone experiences, but miss the low-end when doing that.
I normalize all my finished tracks so they have maximum volume, but when I put them in a collection I then alter their volumes so they fit in the mix correctly. Since the project's unfinished I kind of assumed this was the case here.

But the one track I found could in parts stand a little less overall volume was Phantom Pain (at least as far as I remember).

I do listen on headphones. Not the best for analyzing mixes, but as I always listen on the same headphones I can judge one mix against another consistently, knowing the headphone's biases as I do.

Return to “Music Cafe”