May Contest: RULES and SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You wanted a covers contest?

Hah! Suffer through *this* spot of evil...

Muzak Covers

You hear it in elevators, office waiting rooms, and on hold on the telephone. Music that's sickeningly sweet, overly pretty, and ultimately maddening.

It's called "muzak" in common parlance, and much of it is based upon the music of yesterday, done up it a "light" instrumental style such as to remain under the level of your subconscious yet stick in your head all day.

So here's the theme: recreate any cover (not just light stuff: metal, punk, everything is fair game so long as it has melody!) in the form of muzak. Leave out any vocals from the original and do the music in a slickly produced too-too precious style: smooth jazz, acoustic folk jangle, light orchestral, or easy-to-swallow electronica.

You know the stuff. Now get out there and pump up the irony...

xander wrote a great translation of this:
*Muzac is not a *genre*, it is literally the complete and total perversion, degradation and disintegration of ANY piece of music from ANY genre into a noxious, hurl-inducing bit of mindless happy-pap used to psycho-tickle the motor reflexes of the general human mind in accompaniment to that mind's distraction while it is focused on what brand of BBQ sauce to purchase, what floor to get off on, etc.
1 - Submissions MUST follow these rules:

(a) encoded in either .mp3 (128kbps or lower if fixed rate ... average of 128kbps or lower if VBR) or .ogg format (quality level 4.00 or lower)

(b) A STRICT MAXIMUM of TWO MINUTES in length. Starting in 2006 I'm going to be SERIOUS about this rule. If it shows up as 2:01 in my player, then I'll allow it for reasons of rounding in different players. But you shouldn't take that chance! Any longer gets a DISQUALIFICATION. That said, if a submitted track is over length, all contestants should feel free to mock the offending entrant mercilessly into getting permission to enter a new version of correct length.

(c) entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else)

(d) submitted before 11:59 PM Wednesday May 24th

2 - Your track SHOULD also ...

(a) be composed specifically for this contest

(b) be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio

(c) have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie - "06_05_artistname_tracktitle.mp3") or something similar bearing this info.

(d) have AT LEAST the REAL artist and title fields of the file's ID tag completed (help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries)

3 - Only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

4 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

5 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until 11:59 PM Wednesday May 31st - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified

PRIZES

George from discoDSP has been so kind as to donate a prize of their FX Bundle (a $99 value) for EVERY month this year.

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their products this month (and later months until further notice).

Tony/sosayweall of Kong Audio has offered up one license per month to any of their plugins through the July contest. High-quality traditional Chinese instrument sounds in a modern plugin! Great stuff.

There may be other prizes.

dont forget ... you can also check out all this months tracks in one easy process over on MARKLEFORD RADIO ...

... and download them all using garret's handy DOWNLOAD TOOL
Last edited by Markleford on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Ya baby!!! First One IN! :party:

When I'm trapped listening to Muzak the only thought in my head is....

Why, Why Me?

Give me freedom or give me television

Attention! This is no direct link. I hope, I'll find someone, who can help me out and host it. Thanks!
Ian McDonald met one of those elevator muzak men, who wanted to use one of his tunes..... They began to fight and......:
http://rapidshare.de/files/19444595/42_ ... d.mp3.html
Thanks to YouTM there is a direct link now:
http://216.181.215.169/kvr/guests/42_me ... ak_mad.mp3
Thank you very much!
Mellohappy

And here's the second song from Canarias; and also without a direct link at the moment... (YouTM has fixed this problema)

After a month of expanding and cleaning up (and of course filling up again... ) my pc, I thought time has come to break the monopolio of Oddbods Finger (or should he start with some kind of a handicap). :hihi:
This month our composing talent isn't important; the choice of the song is ! I'm convinced my election won't be easy to beat ! 8)

Recorded in Logic, with the EXS24 sampler and Synth1; Classic Delay and Reverb, GlaceVerb and the "conditio sine qua non" : George Yohng's W1 Limiter.

Here it is : http://216.181.215.169/kvr/guests/0605_ ... er_738.mp3

Thanks to YouTM the direct link is done ! (A brave man ! I wouldn't host such an ugly thingie !) :hihi:

PS : YouTM, it took me more time to get your link here, than you to make it ! :shock: Tx mate !
Carpo diem ergo sum !

Rakkervoksen

Ok I'm in. I like this theme!

My tune is one of my favorites from the late 70's AM radio. This band (Player) should have been the next Hall And Oates, but I guess they only had this one good song in them and became a one-hit wonder.

Anyway, this is what I'd probably be saying to my audiences if I started playing this kind of music live.

BABY COME BACK!!

I,m in too, although I have no ideea what I'm doing.
The new and scarce informations for me about muzak just gave me some mixed feelings. :?

So here is my attempt called
The Perfect Store

http://www.crowbiscuit.com/kvr/0605_Pet ... _store.mp3

I have to thank Kevin - havran for his offer to host my song this month. Man, you just spared me of going on those easyshare or rapidshare things that don't have a direct link! Again Thanks, my friend!

I would be OK if I here this music style in malls and stores.
Keep in mind that in my corner of the world the first megastores and malls appeared only since 1 year ago, so I'm not familiar with the muzak phenomenon. :)

Petru Damsa

Chop Suey!

Ogg Vorbis file | mp3 file

Stuff used: eXT, sfz (/w splendid grand & rattlekit), PSP pianoverb, Classic Reverb, Wusikstation, Synth1, W1 limiter

Alright - my KVR debut. I was raised on this stuff. Here's a little Collective Soul ditty for ya.

Some plugins used: Morphiza for the cheeza, GTG Drum Sampler II, but I tend to fall back on Steinberg sounds for the orchestral stuff. I'm using Cubasis Vst 2.0. Go ahead laugh, it is funny.

http://www.kmtrio.com/06_05_SevenOctaves_Shine.mp3

:arrow: The Rover's Return

it were all green fields when i was a lad.

- the theme to itv's "Coronation Street"

--------------------------------------------
eXT, sr-202, symptohm, minimogueVA, nanotron, plugsound free, nubile + spinner, phibes, sfz, kjaerhus classic and discoDSP FX.

This is a song my brother's mother and father-in-laws' truely loved, which I thought was a bit odd. My grandmother also really liked this.

I actually want to finish this out, but I made a partial out of it for the contest.
Bohemian RapSoDee
for entertaining porpoises only

Here is a jazzy cover of a Radiohead song :

:arrow: Waiting music (for a film (or for anything else))

Was fun to do... :D

- Jamstix and its brush kit :love:
- Kirk Hunter Double Bass in SFZ+
- Acoustic guitare
- Piano C7 Yamaha from VintAudio in SFZ+
- Wizoosounds Latin pop kit in SFZ+
- Me and Melodyne Uno
- voxengo, kjaerhus, psp, elemental audio effects.
Last edited by Ixox on Sat May 06, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wasn't intending to submit this track this soon, but the fact is that I had enough of it. My first "acoustic" track. Here it goes: Heart of Gold (sorry Neil :oops: ).

Guitars: Sfz + soundfonts
Harmonica & Steel Guitar: Plugsound Free
Drums: Drumatic
Bass: Monolisa

Efects: BCheese, Classic Chorus, Sweepie, WOX2, GlaceVerb, Posihfopit, BuzMaxi3.

Now coming back into real life :D .
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

In keeping with the spirit of ruining songs, here's a cover by a well-known Irish band that has remained popular for the past quarter century. I play guitar because of them. Hence, no guitars in this song.

My apologies to the men the song is about.

No Pride In It

I'm really sorry. Honestly. This is what WJOI 97.1 (my parent's favorite station 20 years ago) would have done to this song.

Host: Tracktion (but please don't blame it)
strings: sfz using squidfont orchestra soundfont
panflute: sfz with some crummy pan-flute sound
Pianos: Sampletank SE
Drums: sfz with NSkit7 lite soundfont
Burt Bacharach-esque male vocals: me :|
big old reverb: Mackie reverb plugin on very large room setting

-Scott

Return to “Music Cafe”