New tune based on old 80s synth-pop tune (Unfinished)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to see what ya thought of this... it is not finished and certainly not mastered yet. After hearing "S.O.S" I finally decided to do a new tune with new lyrics based on an old 80s tune i like and which some of you are probably familiar.

http://www.the-backups.com/10.mp3

I am still writing lyrics at this point and all of the tune is subject to change.

Critques please :)

Listening to it right now. I think it's great... eighties style :D !
What instruments did you use? How did you make the sound at about 0:29 / 2:28 ?
Keep it up,

Bluze

good stuff

sounds like a killers demo....

absolutely brilliant.(especially first 40 seconds) i guess u used automat for most synth parts.
that cheap tb303 at the end i'm not sure it fits ...

Bluze wrote:Listening to it right now. I think it's great... eighties style :D !
What instruments did you use?
Drums:
Battery

Synths:
FM-7
Pro-53
Imposcar
Juno-X2
Vangard
Trilogy
Tau2

Guitar:
A Squire 59 into Amplitube Classic with one of my ToneHeaded 80s patches

I think that's it. I'll check in a little bit to make sure i didn't leave anything out.
How did you make the sound at about 0:29 / 2:28 ?

I am not sure which one you mean. Can you perhaps be more specific?
Keep it up,

Bluze
Last edited by Lady J on Sun May 07, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_starcraft_ wrote:absolutely brilliant.(especially first 40 seconds) i guess u used automat for most synth parts.
Nope. But I probably could have now thaty you mention it.
that cheap tb303 at the end i'm not sure it fits ...

Yeah I was thinking about taking the Muon Tau 2 out.

MUCH better. It's cool that you branch out into different styles. IMO i would stick with the pop stuff.

I would change the drum sounds. Make them PUNCHY!! Or at least make sure that snare really hits on this tune (longer hit with reverb or use a more low end hit so you can really feel the hit).

Also, the vocals are really going to make or break this tune. I hear "breathy" (at times) male vocals for this one as opposed to a female vocal. It has to be sung with passion or this tune will fall flat.
Anyways...good luck with this one!!!!!

BTW...I know this is a Cars tune but i forget the name.....Is it "Hello"?

S.HUSH wrote:MUCH better. It's cool that you branch out into different styles. IMO i would stick with the pop stuff.

I would change the drum sounds. Make them PUNCHY!! Or at least make sure that snare really hits on this tune (longer hit with reverb or use a more low end hit so you can really feel the hit).

Also, the vocals are really going to make or break this tune. I hear "breathy" (at times) male vocals for this one as opposed to a female vocal. It has to be sung with passion or this tune will fall flat.
passion I agree with but the other stuff....nah. You're just thinking of the Cars tune.
Listen to "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

and then "SOS by Rhianna" to see how new lyrics sung by a singer of a different sex in a different way can completely make a new tune out of old.

If a male singer sang on this tune in the way you mentioned it would instantly be "oh that's a weak Cars imitation."
Anyways...good luck with this one!!!!!

BTW...I know this is a Cars tune but i forget the name.....Is it "Hello"?
yes

W

I'll check out SOS later. As for going with female vocals...just as long as it's not sung in a dramatic RnB style where they over exaggerate every word :hihi:

I am thinking about sing in a more kinda fun, dancey pop kinda way ala Gwen in "What You Waiting For".

so not content with ripping off Beyonce/Kriss Kross, now ya gonna rip off Soft Cell/Rhianna...why not try something original with all that 'talent' you keep telling us you have? Be a bit more 'cutting edge' eh...

S.HUSH wrote:I'll check out SOS later. As for going with female vocals...just as long as it's not sung in a dramatic RnB style where they over exaggerate every word :hihi:
Here you go: http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=41811670

Kriminal wrote:so not content with ripping off Beyonce/Kriss Kross, now ya gonna rip off Soft Cell/Rhianna...why not try something original with all that 'talent' you keep telling us you have? Be a bit more 'cutting edge' eh...
All music is derivative and this is a tune i started like a year and a half ago just for fun but never really thought of finishing until I heard Rhianna's Tainted Love inspired tune. I thought originally, "no one is going to want to hear an old 80s synthpop tune with new lyrics in a new way" until I heard "S.O.S"

And no i am not ripping off Soft Cell/Rhianna.. see my tune is going to be dancey PopRock, Rhianna's is dancey PopnB . There's a difference.

no, sounds like a killers rip off at the start...

Return to “Music Cafe”