dukbient - blaster78 ft topaz on duduk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

duduk is that saxophony kind of thing, right?

It's awesome, whatever it is.

pannewb wrote:duduk is that saxophony kind of thing, right?

It's awesome, whatever it is.
tis indeed, its an armenian reed instrument

cheers,

steve.

The mouthpiece is reed, the body is usually made of apricot tree.
The duduk is an Armenian, rather than a Christian, instrument, just as the ney (or nay) is a middle Eastern instrument, rather than an Islamic one, even though it's used (extensively) in the devotional music of some Sufi orders, primarilly the Mevlevis (Whirling Dervishes). In fact, there are no "religious" instruments in the Abrahamic tradition, and no instruments are actually used in their outworldly, egzoteric, forms.

The track is great I must say, a very good mix, and excellent duduk playing! For some reason, it doesn't really sound like world/ethnic music to me, despite the duduk. It has a somewhat "modern/urban" feel to it, and reminds me of Enigma...

Oh, regarding the http://is.aswatalislam.net/CategorySele ... CatID=1001 link, mixing Qur'anic psalmody with music is demeaning. And no, you won't find it done anywhere, except maybe in a few sporadic, absolutely questionable, cases. What can be found, in Sufi music, is devotional poetry, invocation of God's names, etc., intertwined with music...

cloudspine wrote:loads of cool stuff
thanks for all that info mate, matt knows about duduks and in fact imports/sells them (the picture is from his website)

i know nothing (apart from that i like the sound)

i would imagine the enigma sound is my influence, my music is very urban/chilled stuff so underpinning any ethnic sounds i use is going to be a resoloutely electronic, western feel.

the qur'anic spoken word didn't feel like the right thing to use, i'm still waiting on john's eastern sounding recording of the sonnet, i think that will fit quite nicely.

glad you liked the tune.

cheers,

steve.

topaz wrote:the Duduk is a christian instrument
What the f**k is a christian instrument????

Never mind.

Cool tune, sunshine-y.

Don't know about a sample... Works very well as-is. But I could hear Robby Robertson. Don't know why?

I meant the Duduk is an Armenian instrument and Armenia is a christian country, thats all.

a nice read

http://www.hauntedink.com/almaty/photos2.html
respirator wrote:
topaz wrote:the Duduk is a christian instrument
What the f**k is a christian instrument????

Never mind.

Cool tune, sunshine-y.

Don't know about a sample... Works very well as-is. But I could hear Robby Robertson. Don't know why?

wouldn't call it 'ambient', but it was a nice track. didn't have any problems with the snares. I'm not a big fan of reed instruments (especially when paired with borderline New Age electronic chillout music - we're closing in on Kenny G territory here), but I thought that the duduk was used very tastefully and never risked overwhelming the rest of the track.

not my usual listening, but a nice little piece. I hear what you mean about a sample, though. unfortunately nothing appropriate springs to mind.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

this is really light and lovely
I love the way things progress,sounds like miles davis
there are no mistakes there is only the next note

ooh, this one keeps popping back up, cheers for listens guys.

miles davis and kenny g in the same thread :o

8)

Return to “Music Cafe”