Depeche Mode Remix - tell me which mix you prefer

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

Which mix do you prefer?

Poll ended at Tue May 16, 2006 12:43 pm

I prefer mix 1
No votes
I prefer mix 2
100%
I cannot tell the difference
No votes
I cannot tell the difference
No votes

Total votes: 6

RELATED
PRODUCTS

An old remix I did from a few years ago - I have recently used a piece of software to try and make it sound a bit better in terms of mixing/mastering.

Tell me which one you prefer mix 1 or 2 - I will tell you which is the new mix and the old mix in a couple of days.

http://elbaggio.com/Internet%20Music/de ... hemix1.mp3

http://elbaggio.com/Internet%20Music/de ... hemix2.mp3
Last edited by baggio on Tue May 16, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one vote - oh well

still on the one vote - looks like mix 2 is the winner :lol:

which songs?

I like the mix nr.2 better. However, the arrangement is not so good [too boring], and the mix in whole is not so good in any of the mixes. Sorry :shrug:.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Well 5 votes for the old version and none for the new version which used harbal - oh well I can ask for my money back within 30 days but maybe I haven't learnt how to use it right yet.

baggio wrote:Well 5 votes for the old version and none for the new version which used harbal - oh well I can ask for my money back within 30 days but maybe I haven't learnt how to use it right yet.
1) Get your money back

2) Buy AAMS v2 instead.

:wink:
http://chrisamusic.bandcamp.com/
"It's square to be hip"

Or better monitors? :wink: There's something fishy in those mixes. Oh Harbal is nothing special, maybe as a diagnostic tool - to get an idea of how the mix looks and what it needs, but more "natural" results come from going back to the mix and doing the good old EQ/Comp etc.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I am sorry Dux but can you define fishy?

2) Buy AAMS v2 instead.
I did try it but took about 1-2 hours to analyse a song.

Mix 2 does sound a wee bit better. I like the song though. I'm not familiar with the original but this is a good version.

I meant "fishy" as in "suspicious" :wink:, or more simple "wrong". Try listening to some similar mix in parallel to yours and matching the frequencies, that could help and stop you from boosting too much bass and highs, and while at it - EQuing and mix tends to sound better when cutting frequencies instead of boosting. Also try putting some HPF [high pass filters] on those sounds that don't need low frewuencies to avoid the muddiness.

btw. it's not that bad, but I'm as picky as hell, you know :wink:

Cheers!

I like the second one more (which turns out to be the first one actually :) ). It's simply clearer. Still too much low frequencies to my taste.

Are you saying the low frequencies are worse in Remix 1 as they should be better according to what Har Bal is telling me.

I would be doing this myself but I sold my monitors and am waiting for the new ones to arrive - hopefully this weekend.

But as an experiment it has proved that you need to trust your ears - ie. good monitoring but the old mix is 5 years old so hopefully I have learnt a bit more about mixing etc since then but just wanted to test Harbal on a visual basis.

I demoed Harbal and wasn't too impressed by the results, but as a "diagnostical" tool it isn't bad at all. I figured, using a good EQ and your ears [+ spectrum analyser] convey better results, but Harbal can definitely give you a very good idea which frequencies to tweak and where to start in general.

btw. very interesting test :wink:. I wasn't thinking too much which one is which, just listened carefully.

Cheers!

Return to “Music Cafe”