Scot's JamMan ambient loop excursion...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someone asked about the Digitech JamMan in another thread, and that encouraged me to whip up this improv track:

http://www.olscratchrecordings.com/Soun ... Vacuum.mp3

A bit different from my normal fare...this one is an atmospheric ambient loop kinda thing. Sort of a synthesized Fripp/Eno sound or a sinister take on Jon Serrie's space music.

I did it in one pass, live through the Digitech JamMan into Cubase SX3. The only instrument used was the Kawai K5000W additive synth (all patches are my own). If you listen really close, you might hear a distant shaker sound from my Oberheim DX drum machine.

It's cloudy and rainy today, and I think it shows here...
There are rocketships outside of my window. Really: www.cosmo.org
www.theelectronicgarden.com

This is pretty cool, Scot. I've actually been playing around a lot lately with loopers, although I've settled on software (using Rekliner's Loopy Llama mostly, and occasionally Zone Mobius). Great way to build dense sounds and lose track of time.

Love the sound of the additive synth in this, there's a sort of harshness to the high end that gives it some nice grit. Excellent stuff. In keeping with looping, I may go off and listen to it on repeat for a while.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, Steve. Loopy Llama is probably my favorite software looper, and I have used it many times in Receptor (since I can treate is as a realtime effects processor easily that way). In fact, it was only because I was having stability issues with Loopy Llama that I went and bought the JamMan. Nevertheless, the Llama is a lot of fun. One day I will get around to building my own "super-llama" in Kyma (I have all that "Looper Construction Kit" stuff for it, but it takes a smarter man than me to work it all out... :oops: ).

really nice scot, expected this to be much more full, but its very restrained for a very long time. some lovely bellish tones from the kawai. it feels quite crystalline and cold, but also very organic.

funily enough i've been playing with loopy llama today as well, a lot of fun. i've just started recording some "as live" stuff myself (there's one in the cafe at the moment) so i'm trying all sorts of stuff like this.

very nice indeed,

steve.

Thanks, Steve! I was indeed excercising some restraint here. Mind you, I also have dumped a bunch of pounding Oberheim DX loops of mine into the JamMan for some more aggresive kinda jams.

I will have to run over to the cafe and grab your track. I started today by listening to Terry Riley's loop music...apparently I wasn't the only person in a loopy mood today!

Funny, you could add a tag line that this was popular with Steves.

shamann wrote:Funny, you could add a tag line that this was popular with Steves.
normal people may like it , as well ...
this one does ...

not to imply that steves aren't normal ...
mostly ...
Last edited by experimental.crow on Mon May 15, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks, guys! I have always enjoyed doing this kind of stuff. I bought my very first sampler back in the mid-Eighties specifically to do ambient looping soundscapes. I even tried to stage gigs under the name "Soft Collisions", but found very little interest from others in a quiet, understated performance (probably not enough people named "Steve" in Phoenix). Times certainly have changed since!

Great stuff, Scot. Wish it was much longer though... ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Great stuff, Scot. Wish it was much longer though... ;)
Thanks! I am certainly planning to do more lenghty stuff like this...Damned loop boxes are inspiration in a pedal!

Scot Solida wrote: Thanks! I am certainly planning to do more lenghty stuff like this...Damned loop boxes are inspiration in a pedal!
Well, Im definitely going to look into the couple of software versions already mentioned. But yeah, sign me up for more of this...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

my name aint steve but i stioll enjoyed it :)

but yeah far too short, i was almost driftng then it ended :o :cry:

I have always liked the way some looping how it changes over time and this has that quality. Certainly beats my attempts at ambient looping. Cool one Scott. 8)

Thanks guys...erm, vurt, I didn't mean to blueball your floatation. I'll make it longer next time... :oops:

Nice stuff! I have as yet to install Loopy Llama on my receptor. Not too long ago I saw a concert with michael manring and his accomplace, steve ( can't remeber his last name) but they did loop stuff with thier basses. He used a new looper, and I can't remeber the name of it, but it was developed here in san jose.( CA) Maybe its that JamMan..so is that a "new" unit..meaning it was just developed not too long ago?

NICE Looping however on this piece!! Gives me inspiration to do a loop piece.

Tim

Return to “Music Cafe”