nebris :: reave

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

that's understandable. I don't feel crunk the way that millions of other consumers apparently do. doesn't really mean anything one way or the other, just that it doesn't do anything for me. I don't think that the tone was wrong, just that it was the wrong question to ask.

;)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

intel wrote:does the adage "If you have to ask, you won't understand" work in this situation?
Pretty much..

:zzz:
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

hyuk hyuk hyuk

NotTHeCommonDose wrote:... i've made tracks like this myself ...
In all respect I think not. Dystonia is a unique artist with a mature and profound expression. But if you have something like this on your harddrive then please don't hesitate to share it with us. We are quite a few who really like this kind of music.

-Edit-
Last edited by NotTheCommonDose on Tue May 30, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Since you produced the goods, why don't you start your own cafe thread and quit jacking Dystonia's, eh?
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Your best pieces (and I think this is one of them) have this physical character - or rather effect. Like the air is sucked out of your lungs and your intestines is squashed. (Edit: It's like a roller coaster, just ultra slow). Even when listening at work through earbuds. It's astonishing.

This made me feel frightened as I listened...

... and I enjoyed being scared (I think)!

:tu:

Dave

NotTHeCommonDose wrote:I listened to it too, I don't understand what is so fantastic about this type of 'music.' Don't get me wrong I'm not being negative. I hold respect for all artists and it appears that you're very good in this genre, something I don't really know anything about. Maybe, however, someone would like to fill me in, is this kind of track solely for taking some kind of hallucinagen and trying to distant yourself from all forms of reality? I could probably bang tracks like these out... but why?
I've been doing this since the mid-80's, roughly, so I've been asked this a lot.

My primary influences are the sort of non-academic 'experimental'(though I don't like that word - I experiment before recording, not during) music that grew out of the post-industrial diaspora in the 1980's, lots of 50's and 60's electroacoustic and concrete music, and much ritual music from around the world. The latter influence has been the predominant one for the past ten years, roughly, not so much in terms of sound (though I do tend to overuse those thighbone trumpets) but in terms of intent.

I prefer sound to music, to begin with. I tend to like certain sounds more than others (I prefer acoustic sound to electronic, for example). I don't like to discuss content too much, but it has nothing to do with escapism. I would argue that conventional music is farther from 'reality' than the sort of things I do, in that natural forces such as wind erosion, rain, and tides tend to sound like atonal roarings and cracklings and not like, say, Radiohead.

Maybe the instrumentation used might provide some context: a pile of sticks, several stones containing fossilised crinoids and trilobites, a hollow stone with a rattling ochre deposit inside, Tibetan thighbone trumpet, and the sound of digging into soil with a mic. All processed with gadgets, in this case. Though not as much as you might assume. It's much more complicated than pressing a key on a synth.

Anyway, talking about it always makes me feel like some sort of pretentious git, so I'll leave it at that. Anyway, If you don't like it, that's fine. There's all sorts of choice out there right now, no-one's forcing you to listen to anything you don't like.
Last edited by dystonia_ek on Tue May 30, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intel wrote:I don't feel crunk the way that millions of other consumers apparently do.
Not even a teeny tiny bit?

intel wrote: does the adage "If you have to ask, you won't understand" work in this situation?
YES.

Oh, and thanks for the listens, everyone.

@Dave
What did you find scary about it? Just curious... for me it's like a warm comfy blanket.

dystonia_ek wrote:@Dave
What did you find scary about it? Just curious... for me it's like a warm comfy blanket.
Not a bad thing at all sir BTW...

I found the reverberated (?) tones just brought a couple of images to mind... like the hallway of an asylum or a dark grumble from deep inside a cave... very much the unnerving feeling I get from a lot of vurts work! Not at all a bad thing - but when listening thru headphoes I find myself glancing round to make sure there is nothing behind me...

I attempt this style myself at times - never to the effect both you or vurt achieve - and I ALWAYS scare myself :) I tend to use delayed guitar - cut the notes and delay the delay etc... more of a drone than a noisescape...

There seems to be an etherial quality to this kind of production that unnerves me - to me, If Im scared then it worked for me.

I hope Im explaining myself - kind of what I WANT to take from a work like this... and of course this had what I wanted!

I really must get some of my drones off the old 4track tapes they were recorded on over 10 years ago and send them to you... I'd love your opinion!

:tu:

Dave

dystonia_ek wrote:20:19, 224kb/s, 33MB

Play at maximum volume. Headphones not recommended.
It is pleasant. Criticisms {don't take this the wrong way... maybe you'll get some use out of the ideas}:

The "noise" could stand to be a bit crisper... maybe that's the mix, maybe that's the format and maybe that's the headphones on this machine. ...Maybe you're more interested in the rumble. If that's the case, I'd try adding a bit of reverb and seeing if I could smooth things a bit... maybe work it into a sort of beat. Maybe just mix it down a bit... add a bit of feedback so that it hurts to listen to it and so things just go a bit further. Maybe a resonance filter. Maybe some compression... Maybe you could mix back and forth from a really harsh rumble to something crisp to something with nothing but low tones...

I like the sweeping, swooshy sounds but I like the little details you've managed to pull out of {or add to} the sound a lot more. I could stand a few more details... maybe quiet spaces with synth sounds or some sort of beat... maybe some traditional elements... or maybe you could strip the noise back at points and let us hear what the other stuff sounds like.

{sorry... I could go on forever... :}}
Last edited by RTaylor on Tue May 30, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mckenic wrote: I really must get some of my drones off the old 4track tapes they were recorded on over 10 years ago and send them to you... I'd love your opinion!
I'd love to hear them!

Return to “Music Cafe”