Orchestral Jazz

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrote this, on staff paper, a long time ago.

I wrote the midi file using a notation editor, making amendments along the way. This, too, was a long time ago.

I don't have the sample libraries that would be necessary to do it justice. But I thought that, on this its (approximate) tenth anniversary it should at least be heard in some form.

Symmetry in Blue

Listened with an orchestral sound lib. in mind and I imagine this would sound fantastic!

Its a bit 'GM' for me at the moment - but I do like the chords and structure!!! Just not the sound sources...

Hope your not offended Mate :?: I do dig it!

:hug:

Dave

Maybe try using non traditional instruments to replace the GM sounds?
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

mckenic wrote:Listened with an orchestral sound lib. in mind and I imagine this would sound fantastic!

Its a bit 'GM' for me at the moment - but I do like the chords and structure!!! Just not the sound sources...

Hope your not offended Mate :?: I do dig it!

:hug:

Dave
Not at all.

But I would rather record an actual string ensemble playing it.

Especially since, if I decide that I don't like the string ensemble, I am not stuck with it for life due to a non transferable license. :wink:

Amberience wrote:Maybe try using non traditional instruments to replace the GM sounds?
Actually this doesn't use General midi. Just an unorganized bunch of different sound fonts.

To be honest, even if I had the sample library, I don't have the RAM, or the time to learn how to use it. Fact is, no one wants to pay me to be a composer.

I do make my own music, but it tends to be more rock band oriented, due to the fact that I do have rock musicians handy.

But I am recording a jazz band sometime next month, and I will definitely be giving a copy of this score to them, so who knows?

Thanks for listening guys!

Some of the themes in this were good. though, IMO It lacked dynamics though and fullness.. the piece doesn't develop enough.. The quiet bits need to be quieter and the louder bits louder.. and use more of the orchestra.

soundwise. Try and get hold of SJ orchestra soundfont.. (it's free.. I think Krim has it on a website somewhere, but I can't remember, a search of KVR forums should find it though). It sounds a lot better than the sounds used here.. maybe use some panning and stereo enhancer on the individual instruments (I think it's mono, wider boy would do the job)..
SJ soundfont isn't to big memory wise either.. it works well with sfz too

Ben

Glooper wrote:Some of the themes in this were good. though, IMO It lacked dynamics though and fullness.. the piece doesn't develop enough.. The quiet bits need to be quieter and the louder bits louder.. and use more of the orchestra.
Well, as this took me about 6 months to write, I doubt much of a re-write will be done.

There is a great deal of compositional development going on throughout, though: key changes, thematic alterations and developments, etc.

As for the sj soundfont, I tried it, and the articulations were too slow, as are the articulations on most soundfonts.

I should note that if anyone would like to have a go at a new 'production' of this, I would be happy to send the midi file.

To be honest, (ducks) I really don't enjoy sound design work. I tend to get rather bored when trying to find or make the perfect sound. So a collab with a more sound-design savvy person would be good fun for me.

Thanks for listening.

herodotus wrote:But I am recording a jazz band sometime next month, and I will definitely be giving a copy of this score to them, so who knows?
Please do keep us posted on this - both the session & thier work if they do your piece!!!

:tu:

Dave

this stuff really intrigues me but I have no idea how to produce something like this,
I enjoyed the tension and interplay

mckenic wrote:
herodotus wrote:But I am recording a jazz band sometime next month, and I will definitely be giving a copy of this score to them, so who knows?
Please do keep us posted on this - both the session & thier work if they do your piece!!!

:tu:

Dave
Yeah, the guitarist is out of this world.

I am trying to convince him to let us make some loops out of his playing, but he has never heard of loops, so he seems sort of suspicious.

In fact, he doesn't even have a computer!

Quaint, huh?

I like this song, very nice I think it would be even more beautiful a tad slower... but that's my opinion.

herodotus wrote:
Glooper wrote:Some of the themes in this were good. though, IMO It lacked dynamics though and fullness.. the piece doesn't develop enough.. The quiet bits need to be quieter and the louder bits louder.. and use more of the orchestra.
Well, as this took me about 6 months to write, I doubt much of a re-write will be done.

There is a great deal of compositional development going on throughout, though: key changes, thematic alterations and developments, etc.

As for the sj soundfont, I tried it, and the articulations were too slow, as are the articulations on most soundfonts.

I should note that if anyone would like to have a go at a new 'production' of this, I would be happy to send the midi file.

To be honest, (ducks) I really don't enjoy sound design work. I tend to get rather bored when trying to find or make the perfect sound. So a collab with a more sound-design savvy person would be good fun for me.

Thanks for listening.
yeah stuff like this takes a long time...

I don't mind having a go. I can stick it through my east/west symphonic.. and see what I can get

Ben

Glooper wrote:

I don't mind having a go. I can stick it through my east/west symphonic.. and see what I can get

Ben
Sir, that would be awesome!!

I will upload the midi file when I get home from work and pm the link to you.

Thanks!

NotTHeCommonDose wrote:I like this song, very nice I think it would be even more beautiful a tad slower... but that's my opinion.
Actually it was even faster before!

Thanks for listening.
lizards wrote:this stuff really intrigues me but I have no idea how to produce something like this,
I enjoyed the tension and interplay
Thanks!

I loved it.

actually , it reminded me a lil bit of (progressive metal band) rhapsody tracks.

do you like russian classical composers ?

I get the sense of a giant carousel going round & round. While I generally agree with the comments about dynamics, I have the same problem with my own music, so I feel you. The song could use more development but overall its a nice tune. An enjoyable listen.

Return to “Music Cafe”