Weird experimental classical thingy

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Postcards from Plateau of Leng" is written to function as a sort of soundtrack for HP Lovecraft novel "At the mountains of madness." Hence, it is structurally bound to the novel itself. Because of its length the song is divided into three parts, featured on my homepage as song of the month from June to August respectively. Stylewise, this song is a combination of classical, electronic, ambient and even ethno.The home-made PVC-flute samples are from Herman Witkam.

Download it HERE

The version presented here is to be considered as work in progress.

UPDATE: As of 1st of July, the 2nd part of this is now up for listening/downloading. The 2rd and final part will be up on 1st of August.
Last edited by gravehill on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

Just listened to it. Very cool and atmospheric. Nice to hear something a little different. Great brass sound at the end. What program did you use for that?

This is lovely

And Lovecraft doth totally rule.

"At The Mountains of Madness" most of all.

Thanks for the comments so far!

@goldbaker: The brass is from an old Miroslav Vitous brass sample collection. I believe the samples are the same that later got bundled with a GUI and became part of Miroslav Philharmonik.

It's cool, but am I right that you're not classically trained? Even a 'weird experimental classical' soundtrack thingy is hard to pull off without a lot of formal training and listening references. Especially the piano phrasing seems a bit too aimless here. Don't let that get you down in any way though, you have a good thing going.

I'm not classically trained but I'm a big fan and I'm currently studying composing (privately). Instead of Mozart & company, my interests lie more in stuff like Penderecki, Varese, Zorn, Takemitsu, Pärt etc.

Thanks for listening!

I DLed this yesterday and enjoyed it last night.
Kinda reminds me of Il Pranzo Oltranzista not the composition just the feel to it.

Ahh, I see John and Arvo on your list right there now that I'm posting.
Very nice.

doesn't sound weird to me,sounds good,lots of movement and this kind of alienated feel to it.
it does seem quiet,or is that just me ??

I saw your favourite composers' list and the runagate-comment. Will download it now. I'm very curious and post my review later.
Thanks!

Mellocurioso
"It dreamed itself along"

Thanks for all commets so far! It might be a bit more quiet as average, as fateamenabletochange mentioned. Since it's still more or less under works, I didn't do that hot mastering to it as things are still bound to change anyway.

mmm... I'm not in love with the piano sample, doesn't sound very realistic, but that may be just me.
Also there's something a bit dull and "lifeless" in the reverb used.

Otherwise I like the mood, very inspiring.

I quite liked this!

Boulotaur2024, the piano sound is from some VERY old soundfont I have. It's definitely not the best or most realistic one around and not even on my harddisk but I think it just fits the mood of the song better than a highly polished one.

Very impressive work !!
I like the way you renderend the atmosphere of this novel: excellent composition.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just a small reminder: If you haven't checked this out yet but want to do so, you have a couple of days time to do that. On 1st of July I'll put the second part of this piece up for listening/downloading and the 1st part won't be available anymore!

Return to “Music Cafe”