Aardvark - Instrumental/Progressive Rock

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please follow this link for the latest Aardvark at SoundClick.

This one is called "Cabin Fever".

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=3888971

This is a direct link to the song page.

i'm sorry to say the sounds/instruments themselves sound awkward and cheap for the most part...

i would enjoy this song a lot more if the instruments didnt sound like GM sounds from a low-end casio keyboard.

but from a songwriting perspective, it's got some interesting ideas (i like when it all drops out and the "acoustic guitar" comes in for a few)

not trying to get you down, i just think that with the software you listed on your page, you could be getting a more convincing sound ifyou keep at it.

No Gm sounds used. All samples from the listed instruments, lovingly created as the muse strikes.

Where can I hear your music?

Maybe my response was too negative at first, I hadn't had my morning toke yet.

It just seems like a lot of the sounds in the song lacked the expressiveness usually found in that kind of music, namely the guitar (yes i understand it is next to impossible to get convincing guitar sounds out of a VSTi) and the drums (the beat you have isn't bad at all, my complaint is merely with the choice of samples). Maybe check out some of the wonderful free kits floating around (NSKit, G&S Custom Works, PettinHouse.com, etc.)

Just trying to offer constructive criticism, not that you even asked for it but that's how i roll.

This thread isn't about my music but if you are indeed interested, i post in the cafe from time to time.

Cool, sounds like some sorta slightly advanced SID chip. The actual music is good. But the sounds definately aren't realistic but I don't think that was what you were going for?
For some reason the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" theme enters my mind, heh.

I like the break down in the middle, nice ideas in there.

Thanks for sharing.

You have to take all comments/criticisms offered if you put your stuff out there. I understand that. It is almost impossible to get convincing realism on some VSTi's.
The guitars Bass & drums on this particular track are from the Sonik Capsules Electric guitars, Electric Basses & Studio Drums. Any failure is on my part in my ability to articulate the instruments in a realistic fashion.
The Synths & organ are virtual instruments (Synth1, minimogue & Organized Trio). Everything else is a real instrument, that suffers from my lack of ability to express them realistically.

I appreciate the listen.

Since realism isn't really an option my main concern is for the musical ideas expressed. If you like the music, OK; if you don't please quantify your opinion.

You've probably seen many reviews that say something like "You Suck". I automatically discard these reviews. If someone can't tell me why it sucks, I don't listen.

Sometimes the patrons here at KVR can be hard to please... Seems like when many people here listen to a song, they are listening mostly to the sounds, the sonic characteristics of a song, rather than the actual structure/songwriting/musical ideas. That is not to say people completely ignore the latter, it's just easy to get caught up in the former when a majority of the listeners here (or so i would imagine) are listening through at least a halfway-decent set of speakers/monitors connected to a halfway-decent soundcard and can often notice every little nuance of the mix. I only recently bought my first pair of monitors (was using crap computer speakers before... :oops:) and I already find myself paying more and more attention to the actual sounds and mixes of other peoples' music than I ever did before.

That is not to say there aren't great songwriters on this board. That aspect of music, however, seems only a secondary focus to many on here.

Though my post count may not show it, i have been posting on and off for a few years now in the music cafe, and the comments from the multitude of picky listeners here have definately helped me learn how to create a better mix.

Also, being a drummer, I'm just incredibly picky about drum sounds so you can just tune me out whenever :hihi:

I thought it was very cool! We have some similar interests (I think more people at k-v-r tend toward electronic dance)

I guess I understand the criticism, that it sounds a little mechanical. But, I think the same cricism could be lodged at J.S. Bach, and he did not use midi. It has a cool Bach-like quality to it. On the other hand, I wonder how it would sound if an effort was made to quantize less and the samples had more acoustic "noises", and other imperfections making it seem more "realistic".

Anyway, I struggle with the same things in my music. I really liked it "as is".

[since we have similar interests, feel free to check out some of mine (perhaps Interlockin' and Surfing The Solar Winds at www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness if you have some time to kill].

jeffn1
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

The song is good, I enjoyed it, but the sound of the track dosent do it justice
Simple and repetive are my middle names

Nice tune. With real guitar and bass, I think it would be very Gentle Giant sounding.

Nice song. I have to admit it sounds very "midi" and over-quantized if you know what I mean. It could benefit from using some real instruments.
This is 100% Computer generated - No live instruments were harmed in the creation of this music.
Okay then.... your choice. :shrug:

You can have an exciting career in cell phone music programming !!!
-CALL NOW-
215-555-5555
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks to everyone for listening & providing feedback.

Jeffn1: I've listened to your stuff before & liked it a lot. Almost bought your CD - will have to get around to doing that. Listening to Interlockin' right now & love the intricate textures & driving rhythm.

Funky Lime: I was a drummer in a rock band for several years a long time ago. I think it helps tremendously when creating drum parts - trying not to put in more than two hands & two feet can play.

All comments are appreciated. Exposure is important. I think any musical gifts I may posess is in the area of composition; its certainly not performance - thanks to the PC I can hear my compositions.

Return to “Music Cafe”