Kinda 80s melancholic guitar pop song

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there!

My new song turned out to be a typically 80s-sounding pop song. A Berlin friend of mine did a great job and replaced the virtual guitars by real ones which makes the song much more organic.

If you like bands like The Cure, New Order or a-ha you might like the song. Any feedback is more than welcome. :)

http://the-auditorium.net/viewtopic.php?t=4515

It's freakin' cool! Well worth a listen for anyone who happens to be perusing this thread. I didn't hear the original version, but this sounds great.

No energy for constructive criticisms today, but know that I've heard it and I like it!

:D

Greg

Lunch Money wrote:It's freakin' cool! Well worth a listen for anyone who happens to be perusing this thread. I didn't hear the original version, but this sounds great.
Thanks a lot. :)

Not my cup o' tea (I'm an 80's metal guy), but this is very very very well done. Kudos to you!

I like this
very well done!

Yeah-- this isn't my style of music either but it's done very well.. the mix sounds near pro on my end-- and i mean that as a compliment!

i thought the vox were too dry, but that's me.. i don't have a lot of mastering under my belt..

great job! - i don't know how long it took,.. but it sounds like a while
---
damon

pbxs wrote:i thought the vox were too dry, but that's me.. i don't have a lot of mastering under my belt..
Effects (including vox reverb/delay) don't really fall under the mastering category anyhow. More of a mix engineer's job. On to the non-pedantic part, though: I prefer my vocals a bit on the dryer side, so I thought they were nearly perfect.

All opinions are valid, just thought I'd throw mine out there, too.

Greg

Very good production. I'd probably bring the vocals up a tad more.
Drum programming seems to be quite good, is it all done "manually" or did you use any prefab things?
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I'm 35 and this is right up my alley. I like it a LOT. It does sound 80s but has a modern feel. The tamborine and Santana-style solo is ace.

Keep making more like this. I'll buy.

I would compare it to 'House of Love' and 'The Church' for bands that sound like this, but I like this better than 'The Church' because your vocals are better.

When does the CD come out.

Seriously, I would not change a thing - just make more tracks like this one. I'm 38 and this is right up my alley as well. Immediately going into the keeper folder for further play.

-Scott

rockstar_not wrote:Keep making more like this. I'll buy.

When does the CD come out.
Seriously, I would not change a thing - just make more tracks like this one. I'm 38 and this is right up my alley as well. Immediately going into the keeper folder for further play.

-Scott
Thanks. :) . I don't have any connections and I am not sure who to contact, although I am convinced that this song could easily be played on the radio. So, if you know the right people you're very welcome to tell me. :lol:

As to the drum programming...it's all been done manually by my musician friend Kasimiruslav from Berlin. He also added the guitars after I had sent them my demo.

By the way...thanks for all the other great responses. Didn't expect that. :oops:

Talvin wrote: As to the drum programming...it's all been done manually by my musician friend Kasimiruslav from Berlin. He also added the guitars after I had sent them my demo.

By the way...thanks for all the other great responses. Didn't expect that. :oops:
When you say manually, do you mean he played an electronic kit into a drum synth - because if this was done with just a mouse and no pre-built programming, I want to take lessons from Kasimiuslav - it was top notch. I expected you to come back and say that the drums were played live - they really sound that way.

-Scott

I guess he took parts from my drum programming and added some breaks. I always do it with my keyboard...

Any tips how I can improve on the mix?

Talvin wrote:Any tips how I can improve on the mix?
I think it's time to move on and write another great pop song.

I think some others mentioned this, but you might try to put a little 'shine' on the vocals with an enhancer plugin or even just pulling up the high frequencies to add some 'air' to the vocals. Try this tip from Sound on Sound:
Sound on Sound tip online wrote: Q What do people mean when they talk about using EQ to add 'air' to vocals?

A broad-band, high-frequency EQ can often be useful to enhance the sense of clarity of a sound, and such processing is often referred to as 'adding air' to a recording. Typically, this is achieved using a parametric equaliser set to a fairly wide bandwidth and with a centre frequency of between 14 and 16kHz. In fact, it is because analogue equalisers can often do this without introducing harshness that many engineers prefer to add at least this EQ while they record.

Return to “Music Cafe”