Dawn Chorus

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I run it through the tape player/recorder it takes a little off the top and bottom. I usually mix this with the higher fidelity digital copy.

I used Ultra Analog for all the sounds and added the xhip chorus and compressor to the warbly bell sounds.

thanks Jer. :)

your samples at work??
for entertaining porpoises only

not on this one. I've been converting some of the loops into rex files so I can tempo sync them. My next song I'm gonna be using some of the netflix sticky and paper ripping loops rhythmically. Maybe some of the harmonica too.

they work good for that. (I was loopy doing loops, but as you know, I needed a break from it as my craziness was getting a bit out of hand.)
Take the guitar string hits and play'em up and down the keyboard for a hoot!
I use a multi-sampler feature sometimes that allows me to load up the percussive elements and play'em like a drumset!

I listened to your song at the auditorium. Certainly some craziness. With headphones on it sounds awesome. If you ever reinvent/slice-up the samples don't be shy with them.

Thanks for the sampling tips.

for whatever reason the tune hits some sort of primordial 'sleep' button on me. (I exclusively use headphones developing the loops)

I've been trying to write a definative article on the subject of using/abusing samples... But I found I had to know all the various sequencers and samplers to really make a go of it.
Instead I've been attempting to do things with a couple of free programs that I can explain the operation of.
Unfortunately it has to be more than 1 because individually they each lack certain features or are just a bit complex. (of course if they had all the tools necessary there probably wouldn't be much of a need for expensive software)

stay tuned.........zzzzzzz

Genetic_Junk wrote:When I run it through the tape player/recorder it takes a little off the top and bottom. I usually mix this with the higher fidelity digital copy.

I used Ultra Analog for all the sounds and added the xhip chorus and compressor to the warbly bell sounds.

thanks Jer. :)
Software, eh? Nice work.

When you say you ran the bells thru the xhip compressor & chorus, are these separate plugins or does the xhip VSTi have an "audio in"?

And what was the recipe for that background drone??? I've been trying to get a sound like that recently but haven't quite got it.
A well-behaved signature.

the xhip plugins are separate from the xhip synth. They should be available from the website.

The background drone was just a single instance of ultra analog. I had a saw going into 2p bandpass filter with the q about half way up, and a rectangle going into a 4p lowpass filter. The 2 filter frequencies were being modulated by separate lfos and I did some filter and panning modulation by hand. I don't think there was much more to than that.

edit: I'm listening to the sounds again and there is more to it that. I'll have to check my project when I get home.

for some reason this won't play for me and i cannot for the life of me work out why :(

blaster78 wrote:for some reason this won't play for me and i cannot for the life of me work out why :(
For some reason it won't play in WinMediaPlayer. It did work for me by directly opening the .mp3 in IE; I think someone else mentioned it worked in WinAmp as well.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:
blaster78 wrote:for some reason this won't play for me and i cannot for the life of me work out why :(
For some reason it won't play in WinMediaPlayer. It did work for me by directly opening the .mp3 in IE; I think someone else mentioned it worked in WinAmp as well.
ta mate, very nice this, bit short though :? i'd have happily listened to another few minutes.

interestingly enough i've been making a tape loop delay out of walkmans over the last week after i started recording stuff to tape for the exact reasons you say. i kind of got carried away though and added speed control and multiple read heads.

thanks for checking it out blaster. Your tape delay sounds like a neat project.

Hey Jer, the drone is two stereo tracks. One as I described above, the other is a low sine wav and saw passed through modulating 4p band pass (the filter frequency and the q are modulated) pass filters with a bit of reverb.

Return to “Music Cafe”