Obsolete song shamelessly features live musicians, melody

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What with rock having been declared dead and whatnot this is probably pretty meaningless, but what the hell.

Riptide

I drum in this song, but that's about it. The rest is a chap named Charles.

Enjoy.

It doesn't really sound like anything that registers in my head as rock and roll, but that's obsolete music for ya. :P

I like the drumming though, sounds like you're hitting stuff pretty hard.

shamann wrote:It doesn't really sound like anything that registers in my head as rock and roll, but that's obsolete music for ya. :P
So true.
I like the drumming though, sounds like you're hitting stuff pretty hard.
I actually use little tiny sticks.

But yeah, you probably wouldn't want to sit too close to my snare drum.

Or anyones snare drum, really.

Thanks for listening.

herodotus wrote:I actually use little tiny sticks.
Careful, you're just giving those playground kids more to work with.

herodotus wrote:But yeah, you probably wouldn't want to sit too close to my snare drum.

not even my own? it'd be hard to hit if I weren't sitting close...

not a bad track. I'm with the Shaman: doesn't really sound like rock n' roll to me (take THAT Billy Joel). not really big on the vocals in this track, but the instrumentation is pretty good.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

shamann wrote:
herodotus wrote:I actually use little tiny sticks.
Careful, you're just giving those playground kids more to work with.
That just shows how secure I am about these things. :P
intel wrote:
herodotus wrote:But yeah, you probably wouldn't want to sit too close to my snare drum.

not even my own? it'd be hard to hit if I weren't sitting close...

not a bad track. I'm with the Shaman: doesn't really sound like rock n' roll to me (take THAT Billy Joel). not really big on the vocals in this track, but the instrumentation is pretty good.
Glad you like part of it at least.

The guy who wrote the song and sang it is an unabashed prog-rock sort of guy who is pretty disconnected with most of the music of the past 15 years. So I figure that the cycles of nostalgia should bring his stuff back into fashion in about 2 or 3 years.
:hihi:

And as for Billy Joel....well, lets just say that what Phil Collins is to many Brits, Billy Joel is to us midwestern Americans.

those Brits are just upset at the fact that not every short, balding ugly man can be a famous pop star.

its only the ones with talent.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

I like this... good pop rock song.. it's well produced.

And I reckon it's not far away from sounding recent. A tad faster and with more wall of sound and it would sounds like a foo-fighters mixed with weezer or something.

Ben

Great stuff - beautiful harmonies - now this kind of Rokk I can appreciate :P

Plenty of creativity here - some will probably label it 'prog', but it's not pandering to defined formulas...
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

A fantastic song :D :tu:

Pleae don't shout at me, but the first thing I thought of was REM and that this is how they could sound with a bit of effort on their part.

5 listens straight thro' and it gets better each time, brilliant :D
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

Wonderful song, great progressions, nice vocals (and backing vox). Just great.
The only thing I'm not that sure about is the guitar solo, but that might as well just be the guitar player in me.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

oh! nice voices and changes. doesn't quite sound like anything else i know of, perhaps a little like the band elbow 8) but then i don't listen much to anything like this these days. your drumming keeps it the right side of progressive for me: avant-garage-prog? or some such, genres don't help much anyway.

thanks for sharing, fascinating

Glooper wrote:I like this... good pop rock song.. it's well produced.

And I reckon it's not far away from sounding recent. A tad faster and with more wall of sound and it would sounds like a foo-fighters mixed with weezer or something.

Ben
Thanks.

Charles will be glad to hear that someone thinks it doesn't sound like it came from a time vault.

Thanks again for listening!

griels wrote:Great stuff - beautiful harmonies - now this kind of Rokk I can appreciate :P

Plenty of creativity here - some will probably label it 'prog', but it's not pandering to defined formulas...
That's because we don't know any formulas! :hihi:

Thanks for listening!
Ian B wrote:A fantastic song :D :tu:

Pleae don't shout at me, but the first thing I thought of was REM and that this is how they could sound with a bit of effort on their part.

5 listens straight thro' and it gets better each time, brilliant :D
Thank you very much. And I happen to like REM. At least up to 'Life's Rich Pageant'. :)

Hi hero,

Definitively Alternative Rock!
The drums could be s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more forgroundy in the mix.
Not really my music, but I can appreciate the professionality/Mix :)
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Sascha Franck wrote:Wonderful song, great progressions, nice vocals (and backing vox). Just great.
The only thing I'm not that sure about is the guitar solo, but that might as well just be the guitar player in me.
Thanks Sascha!
knockman wrote:oh! nice voices and changes. doesn't quite sound like anything else i know of, perhaps a little like the band elbow 8) but then i don't listen much to anything like this these days. your drumming keeps it the right side of progressive for me: avant-garage-prog? or some such, genres don't help much anyway.

thanks for sharing, fascinating
Thanks very much!
thomekk wrote:Hi hero,

Definitively Alternative Rock!
The drums could be s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y more forgroundy in the mix.
Not really my music, but I can appreciate the professionality/Mix :)
Thanks for listening!

Return to “Music Cafe”