8-bit Nintendo Shadowgate-like minimalism

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who does this music!? Shadowgate has one of the best soundtracks... ever... and I have no idea who composed the music!

For those of you who don't know, Shadowgate was a puzzle game on the old Nintendo system where you went through this huge castle and you solved puzzles and met really crazy people and things, like cyclopses and women who were werewolves and stuff. All in an attempt to take down this evil wizard by the name of Lakmir. It's one of my favorite games of all time. I love it. It was the first of a 3-part trilogy of games released by Kemco. Shadowgate, Deja Vu and Uninvited, all of which were awesome.

Anyway, I did this because I really love the music to that game. I hope fans of the game (if there're any here :lol:) will like it. :D
Mizutaphile.

one of my favorite games ever!!! i still play it sometimes! cant even remember how many times i've beaten it! gonna upload a song i made that sounds a bit like it.

heh, damn nowhere to upload it at the moment. but your song sounds rather clost to the original. it's a shame how many people dont seem to recognise this game. it was a jewel. have you played the uninvited? it was a game of the same style for nintendo by the same company kemco.

Thanks. I tried to put my own spin on the style while still keeping the game's signature sound.

And yes, Uninvited was the first one I beat, actually. Shadowgate's the best, though. Deja Vu was good, but it can't touch Uninvited and Shadowgate. I agree, too, it's a shame more people haven't played these games. They were so good!
Mizutaphile.

btw i dunno why that comment is in your sig but it's fuckin hillarious!!!

:lol: Thanks. :P

I use http://filelodge.bolt.com/index.php to upload my files, by the way.
Mizutaphile.

is that 5/4 time? :o

cool melody. I don't think I've ever heard the original. But I think it would be cool with some backing beat or such ...

the NES sound chip had 2 pulse oscillators, one triangle, one noise, and one really lofi sampler channel. you could use one pulse for the melody, another pulse for the bass, triangle with pitch envelope for a kick, you already used the noise channel for a hats, and take a snare sample and bitcrush the f**k out of it. :D

Nice, as always ;)

arke wrote:is that 5/4 time? :o
Yep. You act like 5/4 is hard to work with. :lol:
cool melody. I don't think I've ever heard the original. But I think it would be cool with some backing beat or such ...
That's what the original composer(s?) did a lot. I only put a snare behind it when the melody is played a second time because I didn't want it to be TOO repetitive and only loop for like, a minute. I agree, though, and I'll be doing more tracks like this in the future, so don't you worry. :D
the NES sound chip had 2 pulse oscillators, one triangle, one noise, and one really lofi sampler channel. you could use one pulse for the melody, another pulse for the bass, triangle with pitch envelope for a kick, you already used the noise channel for a hats, and take a snare sample and bitcrush the f**k out of it. :D
Yeah. I wasn't trying to make a chiptune here. If I had the right tools, I would've, but all I had at the time was my Hyper Canvas. :P
Nice, as always ;)
Thanks for commenting and listening. :D
Mizutaphile.

Return to “Music Cafe”