Going to build a studio - Suggestions about devices?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't have much opinion on stuff, but from information I've recently gathered I wouldn't buy M ack-ies anything.

Oh, and I would get ONE pair (or 5.1 worth) of *really really* good monitors, and possibly a couple of other sets of junk.
Learn the good monitors and your world becomes right.

Other than that, carry on!
for entertaining porpoises only

What analog console do you have? Knowing that will help us figure out what direction you should go in terms of preamps & channels. Also, if you don't intend to record at higher than 48kHz sample rates, older RME converters may be a nice budget way for you to go (although I really like that MOTU 24 i/o suggestion, too).
quintosardo wrote:- Dynamaxx (about 800euro new) for recording
We have a new demo Dynamaxx for $400. If you're really set on getting a hardware compressor, that's a very good way to go as it uses the same THAT chip found in high-end DBX units. I usually recommend simply recording at low volumes instead of compressing on the way in, though, since there's no need to try to maximize the level when you're recording in 24-bit. Then you can compress in SX using the excellent UAD-1 plug-ins.

I will pose the same question that applies to my day job: What are your requirements? My advice: Imagine it, then find the tools to achieve it.

Forget what is out there, and start with what you love. Find tools to match what inspires you. Forget the rest!!! They are distractions to you, even if they are gems to someone else.

I speak from my own frustration: I am spending way too long getting rid of cool tools that are not for my purpose...

DuX wrote:The only problem with MOTU is when paired with a PC, you can expect all kinds of behaviour: from rock solid to totally useless, but when paired with a Mac... :D it's a darling.
I have never had a problem using my MOTU with a PC, I've used it in a laptop, my standard pc, even using the firewire port in the front of a Soundblaster Audigy (1st generation i think) with absolutely no problems or stability issues. So they cant be that bad surely ;)

I was going to get the Fireface 800 but decided to go for the 828mk2 because of the price difference and I have never wished I had got the Fireface.

I'm not trying to say "ditch the Fireface idea and get a MOTU", i'm just trying help give quintosardo plenty of options.

Uncle E wrote:What analog console do you have? Knowing that will help us figure out what direction you should go in terms of preamps & channels. Also, if you don't intend to record at higher than 48kHz sample rates, older RME converters may be a nice budget way for you to go (although I really like that MOTU 24 i/o suggestion, too).
quintosardo wrote:- Dynamaxx (about 800euro new) for recording
We have a new demo Dynamaxx for $400. If you're really set on getting a hardware compressor, that's a very good way to go as it uses the same THAT chip found in high-end DBX units. I usually recommend simply recording at low volumes instead of compressing on the way in, though, since there's no need to try to maximize the level when you're recording in 24-bit. Then you can compress in SX using the excellent UAD-1 plug-ins.
I have a terrible analog console :(
My idea is that I could use this with a new AD/DA set and then replace the console with a new pre-amp set later.
Commercially speaking: does it make sense or it would be easier to trash the console and buy a digital mixer and an ADAT pci adapter?
Or get the other solution (audio board and additional pre box)?

Some questions I still cannot answer to:

- do I need a firewire board? I don't need to use it with a laptop.
- do I need a complete audio board? I mean, with pres, etc? RME fireface has a lot of accessories, shouldn't I get them external?
- Isn't it better to get a digital mixer and a an ADAT adapter? Doesn't Yamaha 01x do everything?

Sorry, but it is a complicated world and I know that I'm going to choose a road and I have to stay on this in the future... :)

EnzymeX wrote:I will pose the same question that applies to my day job: What are your requirements? My advice: Imagine it, then find the tools to achieve it.

Forget what is out there, and start with what you love. Find tools to match what inspires you. Forget the rest!!! They are distractions to you, even if they are gems to someone else.

I speak from my own frustration: I am spending way too long getting rid of cool tools that are not for my purpose...
Yes, I understand, I have plenty of gears at home, but they don't do the right system for this studio...

@NoBrain2k: I'm glad to hear that MOTU PC problems aren't problems anymore :D. I have a customer that always bought MOTU/Digidesign stuff and always had nothing but problems with MOTU, but it was years ago...

@quintosardo: btw. what kind of music will you be recording at that studio?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I don't know which kind of music...
Rock, blues, pop, I guess...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/P ... -main.html

Will be nice if this was available with 24 faders... Would answer all 'OUR' problems.

Don't get infected/infested by Digidesign or M-Audio for that matter... please :D. It's a mess, and expensive one. DD is a game [but serious game, like oil companies for example] for the rich people and nothing else.

@quintosardo: So all around studio, huh? :D Ok...

Any live drums? You will need to carefully study the setup. try putting it on paper first. It's the best method I know and never failed. Try to imagine the workflow, which is sometimes hard if you don't have some studio experience. I will look into it, too. Sometimes it's my job, too :D, and I like it.

It so happens that I'm assembling a studio from ground up this autumn for a customer... acoustics and everything.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

not to get all moderatorish, but can someone move this thread?
my sig will go here

DuX wrote:Don't get infected/infested by Digidesign or M-Audio for that matter... please :D. It's a mess, and expensive one. DD is a game [but serious game, like oil companies for example] for the rich people and nothing else.
@quintosardo: So all around studio, huh? :D Ok...
Any live drums? You will need to carefully study the setup. try putting it on paper first. It's the best method I know and never failed. Try to imagine the workflow, which is sometimes hard if you don't have some studio experience. I will look into it, too. Sometimes it's my job, too :D, and I like it.
It so happens that I'm assembling a studio from ground up this autumn for a customer... acoustics and everything.
Cheers!
I've seen that it seems a lot more expensive than Yamaha 01x (aren't they about the same thing?)

Yes, there will be live drums (and an electronic set, too). We have a set of mics for that...

Yes, of course we are designing the studio on paper but, because of lack of experience, I'm asking here.
There is a very good series of articles on sound on sound ("studio SOS"). Very interesting!

birrbits wrote:not to get all moderatorish, but can someone move this thread?
Sorry if it looks OT, I was asking here because I would like to get the user's point of view.
Something like: "if I go in a studio and see that they have a Soundblaster I never go there again..."

That's a good one quintosardo: "Something like: "if I go in a studio and see that they have a Soundblaster I never go there again..." :lol:

In general, a true one, too. Console can be a plus [even though you can use it only for direct monitoring exclusively and that's what I prefer], lots of different mikes can be a plus, two pairs of monitors can be a plus, some preamps and compressors can be a plus [plus meaning to show off something :D]. Customers rarely hear/know the difference between the Manley preamp or Presonus, for instance or an AKG and Neumann mike.

That's exactly what I mean :)

I can look at magazines and websites and studios (and I'm doing it, of course!), but here I can:

- get tips directly from experience
- get feelings about gears, that is almost as much important as performances :)

Return to “Music Cafe”