Acidic hi energy dance music, comments welcome!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, here's something I did yesterday... All comments very very welcom-3d.

I'm very unsure about the flanged breaks... It's hard to get them go in sync when the delay time is increased too much.

Also songwise: does it get too cluttered? Hmm my background is in oldschool goa trance so, ah, I have a tendency to go a little over the top sometimes :)
http://kim.apinavuori.net/ups/disko.ogg

I guess everybody's familiar with OGGs these days? Winamp plays them fine, don't fear the unfamiliar ;)

8 views in two days? Hmm. Let's change the subject :)

Not bad at all. You say, maybe it's too cluttered. That's not a problem if you want it to be that. Yes, it's energetic, no doubt. I hear some little bit false notes in the distorted lead line (I think it is because of the note goes too early into its sliding.) Anyway the song has good vibes, and the melodies are good! Drums are cool too.

It's evident for me you're not a beginner! ;)

Cheers

I like this. It's not up to the standard of some of the other stuff you've previously posted, but it's a good psy track.
Not too cluttered and certainly not overboard
Good stuff
ian
:)

Hi. I'm new on this board, but I've been into EDM music production for a while now.

I would boost up the higher freq's on the kick (to make it a bit more brighter and alive). Also I would bring in that clappy percussion (starts from 01:53) a bit earlier, otherwise the beat is a bit empty for too long time (only hats and kick). That distorted line (starting from 01:12) sounds very good. Sweeping high lead which comes in at 03:06 is cutting ears a bit, or what do you think? Atleast a bit on my monitors..

I would enhance the beat for sure, maybe by adding some loop in the background.

Overall I think it's pretty nice acid track, just I'd change these things which I mentioned before :)
Keep up the work.
dns Project -> www.dns-project.com

Kim, you're early. 80s is "now", 90s comes next year. :)

That's flanging especially at the beginning is maybe a too extreme. It becomes too bucket on headphones (äNpäri pääs?). I think you've tried to do wide sound but went too far or somethign.. That distorted lead is catchy as always but maybe a bit too static (a _little_ touch of slow phaser perhaps?). I second dns on moving percusion earlier.. Or using that sample earlier.

There's something missing in that 303-line IMHO. I thought it would go "ba ba ba ba da baaaaaaaaaaaaooou" and not just "ba ba".. *feels silly now*

But to psy it drifts.

How can I do those lead riffs?
[ When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water ]

I like the flange -- it is not too extreme. I also do not think the track is too cluttered. Very well done from a sound creation\development standpoint. My only criticism would be a fairly standard one for any sort of dance\trance type music: not enough variation in the chord structure. At least throw in one or two changes from the standard three chord structure.

Anyway, a minor criticism. An excellent track.

Also -- is this a Psycle or Aodix creation? I currently use mostly Psycle and am thinking about buying either Aodix or Renoise.

nice track, not too cluttered IMO.

That's some very good criticism IMO, thanks!

Especially now that I can pretty much work around the beginner problems, it's nice to have a lot of even harsh critique :)

The false notes are there because I like them, mostly :) Otoh, about chords, I don't think there's any in this song? Aa my music theory is weak, I do music by ear. Well there's of course some interval in the distorted lead, I think it's the 5ths most of the time.
But I definitely hope to catch some musical theory sometime to be able to write more harmonically interesting stuff... And also work easier around polyphonic parts.

I was thinking about the drums a lot. I thought I keep them simple this time to bring the parts with the flanged breaks really into attention, but yes I might spice them up a bit... Most of the sounds are Linndrum L2 samples btw, wanted to have a slight subliminal 80s vibe to this :) Also the lead is maybe distantly Jan Hammer-ish (altough he did stuff SO much better...)

About that stereo image: yes I made that on purpose, I wanted that metallic buckety-kind of hi-nrg disco sound... It's a very short piece of some random sound used as a modulator in a impulse response reverb. So it's not really a flanger, just spectral convolution :)

The comment about the kick might be true. Gotta try that.

The acid line definitely needs something, now it's the most blah part of the tune IMO, along with the sync lead. But I love both sounds so they're a bit of a manner to me... And good point about the sync lead (it's the same lead, with sync just kicked on) being too sharp, often in parties with a big PA I realise that some sounds that are OK at home literally rip the ears apart :/ But, well, I make my music on my super old Beyerdynamic headphones, so it's hard to monitor well...

And yes, this is made in Psycle, I'm so stuck to it :P

oh boy, where do I start:

firstly, it sounds like there's a room or very short reverb on the whole track, very very odd...perhaps it's the flanging going of to much.

secondly, the melodies are so corny I couldn't stand listening to the whole track.

thirdly, what's with the lowgrade rockdrums and rock "guitar" sonding synth..this is amazingly bad - it's not even cool for a 80's/90's themed track or whatever - the breakbeat is all over the place and very loose...I don't get it, why do people insist on writing so bad tracks all the time - it's like there's a virus (no pun intended) spreading from brain to brain, poluting the web with crap music and forcing people to use their computers to make shite.

One thing tho, the rezleads would work great in a full-on psytrance track...the rest is just utter shite.

no no no! It's lofi-opel-meeting-psy!

Stick to lofi drums. They have more character than bunch of 909 bd-clowns (yes. i typoed that) together in a bad circus.

(kim: sitä kuuliutta joko o tai ei.)
[ When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water ]

Hello mister superior viking, maybe you should see a Finnish forest party sometime to see what it's all about ;)

(Psychedelic) trance is (at it's best) all about fun & sincereness, it's like comparing abstract modern concept art to graffiti... It's a completely different sphere of thinking. (and also, either you get it or you don't. and this applies to both!)

The room effect is there on purpose, as well as the Linndrum sounds (hmm "rock" drums? I want to hear that kind of rock!). I agree that liking that is very much up to the listener.

But it's quite refreshing, in my 7 years of musicianship, that's the outright most negative comment I've received, nice to see that some people bother, I know you're there afterall ;)

first up let me confess that this isnt music of a style i would choose ordinarily to listen to...
that out of the way sounds to me like a decent enough representation of its genre.
it has the dancefloor vibe (kinda reminds me of the grid)
i like the nasty synth lead :D

Nono, no dancefloor, more like dance-space-in-a-moldy-squat, or dance-asphalt-in-a-reclaim-the-streets-party, or dance-ground-in-a-forest, but hmm definitely special music for special occasions, not just any club ;)

Taika-Kim wrote:Nono, no dancefloor, more like dance-space-in-a-moldy-squat, or dance-asphalt-in-a-reclaim-the-streets-party, or dance-ground-in-a-forest, but hmm definitely special music for special occasions, not just any club ;)

hehe yeah i get ya, ive danced in many of those places too.
what i meant was it had the vibe to get you moving in a dancing arena of sorts.

Return to “Music Cafe”