Heavy Metal Tune for me and you (Updated)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Straight Jacket Sunday Music Page

There is only one song on the page right now, it's called "Without Reason". It is a new metal tune I wrote in "B" tuning. Heavy riffs, heavy drumming, keyboards, heavy bass, and some vocals thrown in there too. I've mixed a bit different on this one than the last songs I have put out. I was being lazy and letting the limiter take care of the clipping but it would produce a cement block of a mix(like most modern music). So, I went back and eliminated all the clipping, the used the limiter for some make up volume and the wav file didn't look like a brick.

I also have a new toy, Jamstix. It is an awsome compliment to Drumkit from Hell Superior. Here is the equipment used:

AMD X2 4400+ PC
Cubase SX3
Toneport UX2
Shure Beta 87C
Epiphone Les Paul Baritone
Jackson Bass(needs some work done on it)
Edirol PCR-M50
Sonic Synth 2
DFHS
Jamstix
Voxengo Plugs
My voice box

Anyway, let me know what you think of this one. I am going to release a full length by myself of stuff like this. It's going to be a free download release. I've been colabbing with local people and I need some alone time at this point. I also did a colab with somebody from the line 6 message board and it was a fun time.
Last edited by monkeymanx on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very tight and heavy sounding. Did you get that guitar sound just with Toneport?

I like it :)

Not my thing, but not terribly done. I think the vocals were the problem for me. THe riff before the clean part at about 2:45 was decent and had some aggression. Otherwise this isnt my type of metal, this is the other side of metal to me, I really dont get a vibe or anything, I mean its all right and the playing was adequate, but it doesnt invoke any feelings at all to me..
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

I thought that was f**king excellent. Loved the guitar sounds, loved the drums. The vocals in parts (when they got death metal style :P ) kinda grated with me a bit, but other than that, brilliant stuff :tu: hope to hear more.

Killvehicle I listened to your band and I understand why you didn't get into it... I used to play in a death metal band... I guess Technical progressive death metal to be more precise. I'm just tired of all the screaming even though my disc collection has alot of it. I tend to lean more towards the melodic side of things now though, but still maintain enough aggression for myself to be happy... Something like Soilwork heavy I guess...

Hellbilly, yes just the Toneport, and a little Eqing with Voxengo Gliss EQ afterwards.

Reverse Engineer, thanks... I really havn't done much screaming as of late. I may end up taking it out at a later time and just having all cleaner style vox...

Dunno man.....personally i would have put lower death metal growling in this one.
But good effort nonetheless. And Jamstix rox!!

monkeymanx wrote:Hellbilly, yes just the Toneport, and a little Eqing with Voxengo Gliss EQ afterwards.
that's damn impressive for your guitar sound. vocals aren't doing it for me on this one either. they seem mild for the sound of the song i guess, or something.......hell i don't know. it's a cool song though

lates

t-willy

Man... I guess I'm really not sure what I should do with the vocals. Maybe balls to the walls screaming? Nah... Maybe I'll go back and make it all clean. Vocals always seem to be the hardest part.

monkeymanx wrote:Man... I guess I'm really not sure what I should do with the vocals. Maybe balls to the walls screaming? Nah... Maybe I'll go back and make it all clean. Vocals always seem to be the hardest part.
i agree. it seems like they can always go 10 different ways. i hate critiquing them too because i know what you're going through. bottom line, just so you like'em.

lates

t-willy

Yeah I was gonna say SOilwork, but dont get me wrong i get into a lot more than just death metal, but I want the playing to have feeling, and some bite, and besides the one riff I mentioned, it didnt quite have it but your playing ,or whoever it was on guitar, is tight and has an idea what they/your doing.

Yeah vocals are the hard part, but in my opinion there has only been a couple dudes who did this gruff singing like this good, and obvioulsy Hetfield is the one that comes to mind, although he is insane now, but masters/justice era he got it,and since then it usually sounds a little bit cheezy, Thats why many go to Death or screaming vocals, unless you can really sing like COnfessor(One of my favorites) its hard to sound clean and heavy without screaming, Its a delimna for everybody..
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

Yea, that gruff sound is hard to achieve. When I do it, it just ends up sounding like Godsmack, which I am not a big fan of. Sometimes it sounds alright in places though, but now that I think of it, not here.

I just havn't done any aggressive style vox in awhile because I've been recording mostly rock music and for the heavy music I was doing somebody else was singing.

I updated back to the way I've done all my other tunes. The old one is the original and the "Without Reason" one is the new one.

Return to “Music Cafe”