Syd Barrett tributes thread

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's post tributes to Syd in this thread.
Last edited by Hovmod on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rakkervoksen

Strangely enough I was strumming "Let's Split" last night... :(

"Let's split! I'm telling you this is it"...indeed. :cry:

Syd is the person who first got me into music - really into music...where you don't have to do it like that, you can do it like this.

Two things I always remember about him are an account of him tripping his nuts off, jumping up and down in a bath-tub, shouting "No rules! No rules!" :hihi: and, as he was being ousted from Pink Floyd, a song he wrote, and kept changing whilst he was teaching the band to play it, called "Have You Got It Yet?", to which they had to sing "Nooo!" in response... :lol:

I was completely obsessed with him to the point people would just "give up" and call me Syd too.

I bumped into him (literally) in Cambridge a long time ago, but I was too astonished to think of anything to say. I don't think he'd have appreciated an awestruck teenager drawing attention to him anyway, so I suppose it was for the best.

Damn!

:cry:

Uhm...
I did this. :oops:
Maybe another day I'll feel less gloomy and do Octopus. :)
Rakkervoksen

This contest entry from last year was heavily inspired by Syd, though it didn't come out quite as "Syd" as I had originally intended:

On My Way To Vurtstock

Rest in peace, crazy diamond...

Has anyone seen "The Syd Barrett Story"?

pretty crazy and sad when Roger or David are describing the time in the studio when they were recording WYWH and Syd showed up.

Syd inspired many people, despite his personal problems. But that's the way it seems to work with highly creative people. They are often 'flawed' in various ways yet manage to inspire and motivate others thru they're work. To me, that is a sign of true talent: to be able to rise above your flaws and affect others in a positive way. Syd rocks!

People may die but legends don't.

Thanks for the music Syd.

fake
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

I posted a reply in this thread yesterday and it ain't here anymore. Can somebody explain it?

Mello
"It dreamed itself along"

Saw Particle last night, opening for Ozric Tentacles, and they performed a lengthy musical tribute to Syd. Amazing stuff!

David

www.davidlinn.com

mellotronaut wrote:I posted a reply in this thread yesterday and it ain't here anymore. Can somebody explain it?

Mello
Maybe it was another thread.. :wink:

fake
You cant beat people up then have them say "I love you"

Uff, maybe you're right. Is there another tribute-thread? I'm about to record some song as a tribute to Syd Barrett.

Thanks, fake! :)
"It dreamed itself along"

i keep getting this thread ...

Roger Keith Barrett to Journalist: "Syd can't talk to you now"

DSP

saw the chilis tonight...
they left the stage...
john frusciante returns solo and opens the encores with a rendition of "jug band blues"
lovely 8)

for me personally syd is a big inspiration to me ever since i even picked up a guitar.
his music was played to me from the womb onwwards i guess and its rarely a day goes by i dont listen to something by him either solo or floyd.

anyway im wittering now as im a bit wasted after me gig :hihi:

ps my cats called syd :)

and im workin on a piece or two too 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”