August Contest: RULES and SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Back to School

Class.......Class.....Pay attention.....
With the help of the Advisory board, it has been determined that there's a little learning to be done here.
Your assignment for this month is to create an educational MUSICAL piece that will teach us how to do something.

It's time to educate us in the ways of counting, using a screwdriver, baking a cake....whatever! You can use any musical device at your disposal

1 - Submissions MUST follow these rules:

(a) encoded in either .mp3 (128kbps or lower if fixed rate ... average of 128kbps or lower if VBR) or .ogg format (quality level 4.00 or lower)

(b) A STRICT MAXIMUM of TWO MINUTES in length. If it shows up as 2:01 in my player, then I'll allow it for reasons of rounding in different players. But you shouldn't take that chance! Any longer gets a DISQUALIFICATION. That said, if a submitted track is over length, all contestants should feel free to mock the offending entrant mercilessly into getting permission to enter a new version of correct length.

(c) entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else)
If you cant provide a direct link, please ask, one can probably be provided

(d) submitted before 11:59 PM Thursday, August 24th, 2006

2 - Your track SHOULD also ...

(a) be composed specifically for this contest

(b) be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio

(c) have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (ie - "06_08_artistname_tracktitle.mp3") or something similar bearing this info.

(d) have AT LEAST the REAL artist and title fields of the file's ID tag completed (help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries)

3 - Only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

4 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

5 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until 11:59 PM Thursday August 31st - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified

PRIZES

ImageGeorge from discoDSP has been so kind as to donate a prize of their FX Bundle (a $99 value) for EVERY month this year.

ImageBen from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their products this month (and later months until further notice).

ImageAlex from Progress Audio has also been so kind to offer a copy of the ShapeShifter multi-effect VST for PC for this month.

There may be other prizes.

dont forget ... you can also check out all this months tracks in one easy process over on ...MARKLEFORD RADIO

... and download them all using garret's handy DOWNLOAD TOOL

----

Have a Nice day
Last edited by Scoops on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bunch O Stuff

How to Transcend Time and Space
http://www.geocities.jp/k44100/mp3/06_0 ... dSpace.mp3

How could I submit a song so quickly?
I've just transcended time and space, you know. :wink:

Instruments and Effectors used:
Sitar
Absynth
impOSCar
etc.

And here's my entry for this month's competition. Let me know if the link doesn't work - I'm using a new provider and I'm not sure it allows direct linking...

It's called Mosa Trajectum, the original Latin name for the city I live in. Now, imagine you're sitting in a class room and you have to learn about this city. Now - imagine that your geology teacher is a Kraftwerk fan... :-)

Mosa Trajectum

Hope you all enjoy it!
"...Everything we see or seem is but a dream, within a dream."
MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/MarcJX8P
Virb: http://www.virb.com/marcjx8p

excellent contest ...

http://vincent.choqueuse.free.fr/compos ... 20song.mp3

The track name is: "How to compose a hit song..."

(MOD EDIT - been here before and thats got to go since the consequences dont bear thinking about)

The song totally sucks, i hate this kind of music :love: :love: :love: :love:

If somewone earn money with it you can redistribute one part of it to me :lol:

bassline+side compressor: reason
Drums: Reason
prophet: Pro 53
Voice: AT&T speech synthesizer

Everything you ought to know about music I've put in this song. 8)
No blabla, the music speaks for itself. If you don't get it, come back in september or repeat the year. :-o

Sorry if I sound blunt, but that's the way our teachers were in my youth... :hihi:

http://72.19.240.194/Song/0608_Max_el_B ... s_nose.mp3

I used Logic, some Classics, W1 Limiter, drums, guitars, basses, my lack of teaching talent and bad weed. :lol:

PS : sorry, I had to replace the link; the name of the song is : Moo's nose.
Anyway, "what's in a name", as Confusius used to say to young William...
Last edited by Max el Belga on Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carpo diem ergo sum !

Rock

Simple word. Complex concepts.

What is rock? How can one "rock out".

There are many elements to what one might think of as rock. I tried to play them all in this song. If one listens closely they can hear various rock technique and a few rock clichés as well.

This also serves to show the kinds of sound you can get out of a cheap guitar and IK Multimedia's Amplitube™ and Toneheaded™ presets. With this combination and some good technique one can make a good rock sound without ever leaving their computer.

That said:

Rock can be as simple or complex as you like. I tried to show both sides and the full spectrum in between using nothing but:

NI Battery
ES2 Emagic Synth
NI B4
Spectrasonics Trilogy
IK Multimedia Amplitube Classic
Toneheaded Amplitube Presets
BC Rich Mockingbird Guitar

With that said here's:
Withdrawn Because Scoops is a Wanker
Last edited by Lady J on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Another guitar lesson: E.A.D.G.B.E.

E.A.D.G.B.E.

and now you know the names of all the 6 strings
of my guitar

E.A.D.G.B.E.

Elephants
And
Dogs
Got
Big
Ears

E is on the top though it's #6
A is #5 and it sounds alive
4th comes D & it plays with glee
3rd is G
B is 2
brings us back to 1-E
Last edited by S.HUSH on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hello everyone, here's my sliding lesson:

DADDAD

The lyrics are:

The sliding lesson by a man
Who don't want to be bad
Your chords must be like this...

Then take your piece of bottleneck
And slide over the deck
DDDDDDAD
DDDDDDDD

What kind of such a trip
That makes me wanna creep
I'm gonna fly away

This sound is like the sun
I feel I'm almost gone
DDDDDDAD
DDDDDDAD

Made in psycle modular music studio with these plug-ins:
Trackplug, finalplug, me loudness maximiser, ruby tube, wavesurround, Kjaerhus classic chorus, slim slow slider sidechain gate expander, ayeternal distortion, pooplog autopan, mda deesser, spitfish, classic reverb, frohmage.
The guitar is my electro-acoustic stagg A4006-CS, and the voice is mine...
Sorry S-hush mate for the tuning idea, made my song before seeing yours :) cheers Vince

What about a classical lesson?
It's good to be back :wink:

Peaks of harmony - 2min
(Click here for a longer version)

-sttjelle
God bless!

Hello, here's mine for this month. It's educational. Not about music, though, rather a piece of useful everyday advice... :wink:

How to breed wolf spiders

Attention: No animals were harmed in the making of this "song"!

Cheers, Volker

Well, here's two lessons in one!

I'll start with the less obvious one:
How to use automated parameters in Reaktor's Newscool synthetic groovebox to change up the beat and get a variety of pitches and sounds. Parameters automated (starting from the Gamelan snap/preset): X, Y, Offset, Pitch, FM.

Of course, the more obvious lesson is...

How to Fight a Chinese Vampire

This is useful information, particularly if you ever find yourself inside a Chinese vampire movie. That's why I had AT&T's Crystal synthetic voice expain it all to you. She just sounds so... authoritative. For further detail, watch Hong Kong horror movies.

Software Used:
Newscool (Reaktor 5), Titan (Electronic Instruments Volume 1), FlatBlaster 2.02 (Reaktor 5), Devine Machine's Minion freebie, a slight touch of dBlue Glitch 1.3, FLStudio, Live 5, Adobe Audition 1.5, Acid Pro 6.0 and AT&T's Crystal run through some chorus and delay FX.

Edited to add
Spoken Word Text:

If you find yourself in a Chinese vampire movie, the rules for Western vampires will not apply. Please pay careful attention to the following, as crosses, holy water, garlic and daylight will have no effect on a Chinese vampire:

Thankfully, a Chinese vampire is much easier to identify than his Western counterpart.
He hops.
He cannot speak.
He cannot see.
He has long fingernails that can tear through walls - or tear the throats of the living.
He can only identify the living by smelling their breath.

If you are confronted with such a being, hold your breath until he leaves, and then find a Taoist priest post-haste. Make sure that the priest is heavily supplied with yellow paper, calligraphy brushes, paint, and sticky rice - as he will need these to combat the vampire. If necessary, purchase the supplies yourself... and be sure to do whatever the Taoist priest says. If he tells you to throw sticky rice on the floor, throw the sticky rice. This will burn the feet of the vampire and keep him from reaching you. Do not laugh if he paints characters on yellow paper and plasters these on the head of the vampire. This will keep the vampire immobilized.

Whatever you do, stick close to the priest. He has tremendous knowledge, excellent martial arts skills. And he is your only chance for survival.

I Can Fly (Just Not Very Well)

This is a very cool theme this month, because I am literally going back to school! I am starting work on my masters Fall 2006, this month.

Okay, so here is the schooling. I just purchased Garritan's Jazz and Big Band Library, and rendered this (one of my original charts). The thing that I would like to share is Tom Hopkin's Trumpet Shake Tutorial.

I had to dive into this tutorial to learn how to get my trumpets shaking; I would have written the technique out, but it would have been derived from everything I learned in this pdf, so I didn't feel comfortable without giving kudos to Tom. Thanks Tom!

The doits, falloffs, and scoops are all performed from the information found in the manual. I really had fun with this Library: Gary Garritan has a gem here, and I plan on using it all of the time now:-)

My lesson for today will try to present and exemplify one of many ways to construct a song. I'll call the lesson and the song
BUILDING UP

It's a bit of Easy Listening with Fusion elements.
First thing, I would recommend you to READ THIS NOTE FIRST, then READ IT AGAIN WHEN YOU'RE LISTENING THE TRACK. I think that's the best way to understand what I'm trying to say here.

So, let's start.

1. A simple melodic line, in major C, solo, presented by piano: measures 01-04. I'll call it THEME 1.
2. THEME 1 again, completed now by a bass line (a bit of contrapunctus here) that also starts to reveal some of the harmonic structure that will follow. Simple rithmics also introduced by hi-hats. Measures 05-08.
3.In measure 08, the Bass and the entering Strings pad prepares
the THEME 1 MODULATED at a major 3rd up. More elements are entering: the main theme is played now at organ too, also a first version of harmonic progression and more rithmic elements in the drums track. Measure 09-12. End of measure 12 prepares for introduction of

4. THEME 2. Different melodic line. Presented in unison by two instruments (piano and flute). Harmonic and rithmic elements are now in full developement. Measure 13-21. Measure 21 is a preparing measure for the next step. Is acting like a corona.
5. Rithmic VARIATON of THEME 1. The first theme comes back, but much syncopated. The beat is different, the melodic line follows the main rithmic accents. The bass and the strings are executing another 1:1 contrapunctus, obeying the same accents. Measures 22 - 29.
6. Back to THEME 2, in full orchestration. The theme is repeated two times, the harmonic progression is different each time. Other "colouring" elements may enter here. Measures 30-45.
7. The ending. Or CODA. Gives a finality to the track. Starts as a variation of theme 2 but has a conclusive role, leading to a natural finish. Measures 46-End.

Most of the music of today is using one or two simple themes. Treating these themes in different harmonic and rithmic variations gives consistency to a song. Is like watching a sculpture from different angles. The same artwork, yet looking different. One more thing about ending a song. This can be sometimes a difficult problem. The thing is that the listener has to feel that the song arrived at a natural ending. There are many possibilities in that matter. I used here what I call "closing the circle". The song started simple, in one instrument; the same instrument does the closing too, if possible in the same style it started.

And as usual for me, I put the song in the Auditorium. I have to ask again you guys to help me with the direct link, if possible.

For now, you can download it from here:
http://the-auditorium.net/viewtopic.php?p=37554#37554

EDIT (1 hour later): Here is the direct link also, courtesy to the same Xander that helped me last month too:
http://72.19.240.194/Song/0608_petrudam ... dingup.mp3

Class dissmissed! :wink:

Thanks for attending, Petru Damsa
Last edited by petrudamsa on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

educational part

"Please don't step on the
CatTails thank you"

using:
Various samples
Samples from Genetic_Junky
Cygnus
Moppeltron 1.1
String Thing
Chimera
Cowbells (for the solo)
Because I always needs more cowbell