Acoustic REMish song - new mix and vocals

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't really know how else to describe this song, as it's pretty far from what I usually record, and it has vocals! :shock: sung by me! :shock: :shock:

consider yourself warned ;)

Little Love

There's a couple flubs still there, and some Gsnap on the vocals (it's much better this way, beleive me). I'm just wondering if anybody else -especially a better singer- is into this sort of thing.

Criticisms, suggestions, compliments and flames welcome!

(just don't bother telling me I can't carry a tune, I know!)
Last edited by glurgle on Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pull those vocals out front and get a little lower end in them so we can hear what you are saying.

KVR needs more songs like this. Sometimes the filtered sawtooths just get a tad boring.

The guitar has a nice muted woody character. Drums are weak. Are you mixing on headphones?

-Scott

Thanks for the listen :)

I hear what you're saying about the vocals having no low end, got a bit carried away tweaking knobs there. No guarantees that it will make me more intelligible though. ;) When you say the drums are weak, do you mean too quiet, or just weak drums sounds (it's the free nskit samples)

I'm mixing on Behringer Truths, but I'm still not really used to them.

edit: made some changes to the mix, new file up at the same location.

glurgle wrote:When you say the drums are weak, do you mean too quiet, or just weak drums sounds (it's the free nskit samples)

edit: made some changes to the mix, new file up at the same location.
too quiet and again no low end similar to the vocals. New mix of the vocals is a little better. Still the kick drum, however seems way to small for most of the mix and the snare's 'pop' is missing.

This isn't the NSKit - there's some holes in the frequency content of the song.

-Scott

thanks again for the feedback :)

I realize too late that it is only the cymbals that are from nskit and the kick and snare are different drum samples. :oops: It's too late to keep mixing at proper levels, but I'm going to replace the drum sounds with the actual nskit and try mixing again in the morning when my heads a little clearer (and ears a little fresher).

The guitar is very clear.

I like this kind of stuff very much. hope you keep at it and better the mix.

Hey glurgle

Yeah I'm into this kinda thing!

Really liked the tune, guitar well executed and recorded. I'd second what others have said as far as the mix goes.

Now I would in no way consider myself an accomplished singer but I offer a couple of thoughts. I think your voice sounds fine and would probably sound better if not so hidden. It's only in the last few months that I've been recording myself singing and I've found two things have helped me.

First is state of mind (man) - it can be hard to commit yourself to what your singing if you don't feel comfortable about how you sound but perservere, persevere. "Once more with feeling!"

Second, some basic breathing/technique exercises. I don't know where you are with technique knowledge but I bought this book/cd thing "The Complete Vocal Workout" and have been practising some basic stuff that I was clueless about, along to the cd - it has been quite a revelation.

So keep working at it - would like to hear more!

Best

levitator

There is now a new mix at the same URL. The old one was using the airEQ demo, this one is using posifhopit in it's place. Unfortunately I have no idea exactly how I got the sound I did out of AirEQ, so everythings different. Vocals and drums are much more present in this version. (using the NSkit for the kick and snare now as well)

@Lev - Definitely feel like I could've spent more time on 'the basics,' thanks for the tip, is that workout a book and/or CD type deal?

it's a book of technique & exercises that comes with a cd you can practice along to

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/056918/details.html

the new version sounds much better; listening through headphones.
I really like the feel of this song, it's quite charming.

remixed version is much more listenable. Listening on STAX electrostatic cans and spectral balance is much better.

Hey, now I noticed something else. Right before the vocal, there is some recorded 'movement' noise like sheet music rustling. It's in the right channel at 0:24-0:25 mark.

Seems that would be easy to edit out.

You might want to change the title of the thread also, it's not so much 'strummy' as it is picked.

-Scott

Thanks for listening again everybody. I feel like the chorus is strummy enough to qualify but I'm changing the thread title to reflect yet another version ;)

I went ahead and recorded vocals yet again for this song, (this is the 3rd or 4th time now). I think it's improving, a lot clearer and I did barely any pitch correction this time. Some of the old takes are in there as well. Also changed out the 'ooh's at the end with a subtle synth that can actually hit the pitches ;)

New mix is again at the same location.

Hi glurgle,

nice song!!
I like your vocals very much and also the guitar playing 8)
Though I still think the mix could improve (more equalization on the vocals and and all tracks in dependancy)

Thank you, Sir!
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Thanks thomekk :D

I agree there's room for improvement, but I'm at the stage where I'm having a hard time putting my finger on what alterations would benefit. Any suggestions on what kind of EQ is needed? There's currently no 'master' EQ on the track, is that what you mean by 'all tracks in dependancy'?

(also... bump!) ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”