An Attempt At Breakcore

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been messing around with Ableton Live for some months now. Recently I decided to pin my somewhat pseudo-eclectic style down to breakcore. Well, I've produced one proper track so far, it's a mash-up piece with an 180 BPM beat, distorted snares and samples from popular music that clocks in at just 1:28. I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome but would really like to hear some feedback from all you experts. :)

http://www.point-omega.net/Heartcore.mp3

Also, do you have some advice how to achieve that really massive hardcore kick? I figure that the one I used is not really ideal..

the hihats need to be eqed so they arent so piercing to the ear, partially cancelling out the melody. it needs to be eqed a bunch more basically, it sounds muddled and indistinct, thus, the emotional layers such as the vocal sample aren't hitting the listener at full force... i like the choice of samples, this sounds like a good start, basic in terms of technicalities, but the main issue here is mixing and getting this all to sound right , so it will have an emotional effect on the listener. if the basic parts of the music are indistinct and muddled, even if the song is good, it's value will be somewhat masked by clarity issues. so for now, just use a wide band eq, experiment with different mastering plugins. seems like now the step for you in terms of breakcore would be the mixing/mastering stage.

as for a really punchy kick, just use distortion fx chains without 100 percent wet, just a wee bit, with a limiter followed by a compressor, or whatever. just experiment with fx chains using varying amounts of transparacy in the different effects. compression and eq are your friend here... you really want to make each musical element in this genre (breakcore) hit as hard as you can (this doesn't nessicarially mean loss of subtle dynamics, though), for the most part, so that entails using a bunch of fx chains and tweaking of effects.

Return to “Music Cafe”