[cinematic] Ugo - Pachyderm - mournful version added

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

edit: tonight i decided to try an experiment to essentially mashup of several of my songs, focusing on pachyderm. i think it turned out pretty interestingly.

the result is a longer, lower, slower, darker, sadder, mashup/remix of pachyderm:

pachyderm mourning

for anyone who is catching this post for the first time, below is the link and info on the original version of the song.

pachyderm

on the recommendation of funky lime, dusted william and i have started doing "record-offs", the idea of which is for each of us to write a song in only two hours, then upload it for the other guy to check out.

the purpose of the experiment, at least in my case, is to:
- get me to focus on the song structure before the details
- try to get the music to flow out of me more directly and spontaneously
- force myself to actually finish a song instead of getting stuck at 16 bars, like i normally do

anyway, this song is the result of my first attempt at this. yesterday and this morning i spent some time cleaning it up, adding a few more tracks, tweaking a few notes and sounds here and there, etc. but as far as the overall song goes, this is what i came up with in that first two hour session.
Last edited by ugo on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

this sounds really good,edgey and grand,off on a fated but heroic quest.
your 3rd purpose there,for me,'good enough' is good enough.
yep,sounds good. :)

Interesting, and incredibly good for just 2 hours . . . but you're still not finished. Now you've got at least a week's work of work to do getting all the instruments and mixing/mastering done. Hop to it, buddy!

thanks guys :)
fateamenabletochange wrote:this sounds really good,edgey and grand,off on a fated but heroic quest.
im glad that vibe came through well. i didnt have any plan in mind before writing it, or even during the writing. with only two hours to get it together, i just kind of let it fly. but when i listed to what i had made i really got that kind of vibe and tried to further shape that feel as i tweaked the song.
your 3rd purpose there,for me,'good enough' is good enough.
yeah, i think its important to actually get something "done." its definitely far more satisfying to me to actually have a finished song, even if its not a masterpiece, than to have a whole bunch of well tweaked 8-16 bar sequences that never become songs and are never used. (and are eventually deleted.)

i think it will be better for me creatively to finish more stuff too. i've been in a rut for a long time and i think its possible that one reason for it could be that, by not finishing many songs, im never fully working through the mindset i got stuck in, and therefore im not making much progress in moving beyond it.
emdot_ambient wrote:Interesting, and incredibly good for just 2 hours . . . but you're still not finished. Now you've got at least a week's work of work to do getting all the instruments and mixing/mastering done. Hop to it, buddy!
you should have heard the state the mix was in after the only those first two hours! it was really terrible. for some reason, i've had more trouble mixing/mastering this one that i had expected.

in general, i like the synth sounds im already using, but i may work on it some more once i get all my NI stuff installed on my new computer. i'd like to see how it would sound with actual orchestral samples mixed in there, and all my good samples are in kontat format. i might try using some hits from stormdrum in there too.

:) onto the next one :D

Well done ugo, hopefully the first of many!
Image Image

You Go, UGO!!!

(I know that was totally dorky, but I had to say it.)

I've heard various versins of this track and it has seriously come together. I would say it is pretty damn cool. I personally like the mix. I can hear all the elements in the song.

This has turned into a succesful thing for me as well. I now have a finished song, something I haven't had in oh...about a year.

dw

fateamenabletochange wrote::) onto the next one :D
polyslax wrote:Well done ugo, hopefully the first of many!
thanks! :)
DW and i are scheduled to have another record-off on thursday so hopefully i will get another one out of that.
dusted william wrote:This has turned into a succesful thing for me as well. I now have a finished song, something I haven't had in oh...about a year.
im looking forward to hearing the final version of your track. :)

tonight i decided to try an experiment to essentially mashup of several of my songs, focusing on pachyderm. i think it turned out pretty interestingly.

the result is a longer, lower, slower, darker, sadder, mashup/remix of pachyderm:

pachyderm mourning

I must like longer, lower, slower, darker and sadder. Interesting to hear how pachyderm now mourning retained it's stately majesty.

yes,

I like the second version allot.

sounds like a keeper

dw

perfect for late night viewing, visuably audible as I like to say,
that big pad is bedrock for sure
gooood stuff!

thanks! :)
im glad you guys enjoyed the slower version. im pretty pleased at how well the experiment turned out. im also surprised at how dramatically the mood completely changed, mostly from just slowing it down.

I'm all set for tomorrow! I'm gonna get my self a few good winter brews and have at it. This time I have an idea!

You did do a really good job on that tune.

dw

dw

emdot_ambient wrote:Interesting, and incredibly good for just 2 hours . . . but you're still not finished. Now you've got at least a week's work of work to do getting all the instruments and mixing/mastering done. Hop to it, buddy!
What are you talking about? I can compose, sequence, mix, and master in about 2 hours tops..(my stuff sucks, but that's not the point..) :hihi:

If this one's dark and spooky, consider uploading it to my Deadly/Evil section at the Auditorium..

:party:
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Return to “Music Cafe”