blortblort brings you holiday entertainment pt 1

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a re-working of a tune that I used to perform with my band regardless of the time of year- but mostly around Christmas...we had a small but insistant following: if they wanted to hear the "peanuts drummer boy thing you guys do"...we simply had to comply.
Besides, it's a fun one to play...as I'm pretty sure all of you are probably guilty of playing at least part of this tune yourselves!
The original consisted of just a M1 piano awash in a cloud of reverb and my RX-5 and HR-16B drum machines churning away with a sung-spoke version of the lyrics over took the music. Folks seemed ta dig it.

On the re-vist, I've opted for a different angle.
Christmas a couple years ago, I gave copies of the original version (Frankensteined together in WaveLab...from various takes that were never released as a final recording...) But I came across a nice z3ta Virus mod patch the other day and based on that sound (since it sounded similar to the original M1...but stringier...and now like a space banjo after I got thru tweaking it...you'll see) i decided I had to re do the tune. what the heck. It's christmas.

used:
drum loops: 2 breakbeat type loops and several "drum corp" loops...(all were mangled to protect the innocent).
fr4ncesco's Z3ta Virus Mod (I did a tune without Lazysnake this time ;P)
Jack Dark's Motile
dblue's Glitch
elevatya's Space Boy
uhe's Zebralette
Sinus' GoldenGate
Anarchy Sound Software"s - AnarchyRhythms

And from within Ableton Live6: lot's of unlinked looping on clip envelopes, strange clip launch behavior settings, and shuffling track to track after rendering from the clips, etc. etc. not a lot of Live FX this time, but certainly some editting and some voodoo magic from SpaceBoy

Though Vince Guaraldi may not have intended it to be used in such a way-
I Hope you enjoy it.

I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

I know I keep saying this but you are somehow inherently "tasteful" even in the midst of this mashed-together desecration of two classics :)

The first time I saw my first bandmate he was 18 and playing Jaco's 2-handed tapping version of the Peanuts song on his bass so this always has happy memories for me... plus, I just sought out Bowie and Bing's version of the drummer boy on youtube so it's a synchronous mutant cover for me at the moment.

Lovely! Nice chordal strangeness. Expert as always 8)

Now I'm ready for Christmas. Bring it on, Santa.

Thanks for pt 1, blortblort.

Guilty! I love that song, and this is a very cool version, thank you so much for that!

p.s. I've actually always found that song a little bit sad or melancholy or something.
Image Image

Thanks for listening and glad you enjoyed :)
as mentioned, this was pt 1...and there WILL be a pt2, but I'm still on the fence with pt3.
It's not like I'm some Christmas fiend or something...in fact, it's the time of year when my curmudgeonism shows more than usual...usually.
However- I've always had a special fondness for the Christmas music. I personally like the less pop stuff, but it's all nostalgic in some degree. B. Britten's "Ceremony of Carols" is probably my fav, but I've yet to tackle it and umm...err...blortize it. Probably won't :wink:
but rest assured, pt2 and (if there is one) pt3 are blortized.

sorry for the melancholy, polyslax :( ...but one of the next ones has always struck me that way too...but not the Guaraldi...hmmm...

really brought a smile to me, thanks! I like Xmas music, and loe the peanuts theme. Yours had an otherworldyness about it that was a joy to listen to in the midst of travels :)
..what goes around comes around..

blortblort wrote:sorry for the melancholy, polyslax :( ...but one of the next ones has always struck me that way too...but not the Guaraldi...hmmm...
No apology necessary... I should have clarified, melancholy is an absolutely delicious feeling for me, I love it.
Image Image

polyslax wrote:melancholy is an absolutely delicious feeling for me, I love it.
Superbly put - I'm exactly the same.

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

Return to “Music Cafe”