How many songs do you actually finish in a year?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

How many songs do you actually finish in a year?

none
15%
1-5
20%
6-10
14%
6-10
14%
>11
15%
>20
21%

Total votes: 91

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shane Sanders wrote:I should probably mention that one of the things that really helped me out this year was buying an acoustic guitar. It put me in a place that didn't need any effects or tweaking except for reverb and compression. Then I just wrote things. Lots of it got translated into synth or whatever, but there were no machines between me and the music except the guitar.
I bought my new acoustic a year ago sept...1 song...oddly for the same reason. It's so much fun to get lost with a new tuning..I love picking about with it, I can just pick it up and play...;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I write about 6-8 a year I would say, although in all honesty I usually complete everyone I start.. But maybe becasue I usually dont dive right in on every idea I have. I usually will rememebr I had some cool riffs and changes and come back to them and see if I still feel the same about it at a later time.. Maybe it takes some of the spontanaity away from my music, but usually when I am jamming and just playing around I can come up with MORe than 1 song idea, so these are the times I keep the 4 track on and maybe there ends up being 3 songs in that 1 jam...
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

Hink wrote:
Shane Sanders wrote:I should probably mention that one of the things that really helped me out this year was buying an acoustic guitar. It put me in a place that didn't need any effects or tweaking except for reverb and compression. Then I just wrote things. Lots of it got translated into synth or whatever, but there were no machines between me and the music except the guitar.
I bought my new acoustic a year ago sept...1 song...oddly for the same reason. It's so much fun to get lost with a new tuning..I love picking about with it, I can just pick it up and play...;)
I just recorded my acoustic today for the first time in a while. Well, I use the term recorded very loosely. I stuck a field recorder on the table where my daughter was playing with playdough, grabbed a cylindrical plastic piece from her pile of stuff, retuned the guitar, and started sliding with it while she banged on stuff and kept asking me what the hell I was doing. Got about 35 minutes worth of weirdness... I've made about a dozen loops out of it so far!
Image Image

1 or 1 1/2

jeffn1
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

Killvehicle wrote:I write about 6-8 a year I would say, although in all honesty I usually complete everyone I start.. But maybe becasue I usually dont dive right in on every idea I have. I usually will rememebr I had some cool riffs and changes and come back to them and see if I still feel the same about it at a later time.. Maybe it takes some of the spontanaity away from my music, but usually when I am jamming and just playing around I can come up with MORe than 1 song idea, so these are the times I keep the 4 track on and maybe there ends up being 3 songs in that 1 jam...
I was more like what you describe, too, when in college. It's a whole new artform to work out all the nuances of how to make three or four song 'germs' into a single piece. Rush built a career on it and just about any prog band does the same. I think the thing that keeps me from doing that more often is how lifeless and hard it is to get machines to change tempo and feel, etc. With a band, you can just express your desire to the group, jam for 15 minutes and certain things just settle themselves and you move on. With a sequencer, it has proven more valuable to me to concentrate on either truly beatless weirdness or pop forms with pop-less content.

Bradster wrote:
polyslax wrote:...I completed 45 tracks last year. I have 496 items in my daily sketches folder...
You're either very disciplined with your time, or a trust-fund baby! :D
I don't really like the word discipline, but I do spend every possible moment I can spare making music... and I don't sleep!
Image Image

polyslax wrote:
Bradster wrote:
polyslax wrote:...I completed 45 tracks last year. I have 496 items in my daily sketches folder...
I don't really like the word discipline, but I do spend every possible moment I can spare making music... and I don't sleep!
Please define this word 'sleep'.
:?: :hihi:

Shane Sanders wrote:
polyslax wrote:
Bradster wrote:
Please define this word 'sleep'.
:?: :hihi:
:lol: You too huh?
Image Image

Commit to entering the KVR monthly contest and you have incentive to finish 12 per year.

Also try entering February is Album Writing Month. www.fawm.org

Doing both of those will get your completed track count up to at least 20.

-Scott

check this guy's acoustic noodling out:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=5 ... 27&cache=1

rockstar_not wrote:Commit to entering the KVR monthly contest and you have incentive to finish 12 per year.

-Scott
good suggestions for many and though logic says after spending as much as I did on my new DAW last nov, I should think otherwise and make the investment appear to others as a good investment. But alas, I don't. I have thoughtof such things, last year I wanted to do a song a month...but dad falling and my taking care of him stopped that...after he passed I was so devestated I wasn't focusing...that still applies quite a bit.

However, the investment is more than worth it. I'm 47, I'm not gonna be a rockstar (sorry Scott, didn't mean to steal your name), it's not about finishing songs. It's what my songs do for me. Finishing song does not do as much for me as playing them, I'm on no deadlines. That's not to say I don't want to finish more songs and I'm thinking working on callaborations might benefit me in more ways than one. I won't however feel guilty about my lack of production as long as I'm comfortable with my growth :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

rockstar_not wrote:Commit to entering the KVR monthly contest and you have incentive to finish 12 per year.
Yes! Until October 2005 I was finishing 1-2 songs a year. Then Markleford told me to stop complaining about my lack of output and do the KVR monthly contest. I may not have posted every month, but I finished 14 songs in the past 15 months--a record for me...

Strangely (excepting the past year), when I only had a 4-track, a drum machine, and a guitar, I wrote and recorded a lot more music... :oops:

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

-Scott
That's a cool site.

Unfortunately Feb is not a good month for me to do this - this year.
Maybe we could have one of those here for fun? Maybe March - I could probably do March.

I need something to stop myself from writing thousands of 4, 8 and 16 bar loops. :hihi:

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

what we need on kvr are more tracker-scene style events.

anyone up for collabs or one-hour-compos?

aciddose wrote:what we need on kvr are more tracker-scene style events.

anyone up for collabs or one-hour-compos?
I would try that...play a riff to add or something :)

Return to “Music Cafe”