ideas for ohc style compo

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

interested in actually participating?

yes!
23%
no - there are major issues with this
No votes
no - too lazy and this sucks
23%
fish
54%

Total votes: 13

RELATED
PRODUCTS

i'm not proposing that we use trackers or module files!

the idea here is to hold a OHC style compo and recreate some of the limitations of a tracker artificially while using free vst instruments and our vst hosts.

the important equasion here is:
LIMITATIONS = INSPIRATION
i think many kvr regulars have expressed interest in doing some scene compos but it never seems to materialize. there are the regular compos, but with time spans like x weeks or x months, this takes a lot of the fun out of it, and greatly in my opinion reduces the community/collaborative aspects.

i'm not sure if anyone has heard of the classic tracker-scene OHC (one hour compo) often held nearby #trax or other channels.

the rules are simple.
i'll try to be brief in my explanations;

what is a tracker?
a music creation software designed as a set of monophonic samplers and a sequencer specific to this sampler and it's capabilities. each sampler is called a "channel". most trackers are limited to the most basic sample playback with only adjustment of frequency and amplitude available for each channel. these adjustments are made as part of the notation.

tracker project files contained all the source material needed to replay the music contained inside. samples, notation, and for modern trackers with more advanced samplers, sampler patch data. these files are known as "tracker modules", usually just referred to as "modules".
what is an ohc?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hour_Compo
maybe i should fill out this wikipedia article...

the concept of the one-hour-compo originated to my knowledge either on irc, in #trax channels, or at cracker/demo scene events. the concept was no doubt inspired by intro compos held at scene events. please do correct me if i'm wrong and you have it offical in some {"teh ultimate history of all traxoring and teh scene in teh werld evhr"} or something.

irc? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

due to the real-time nature of irc, and the limitations of tracker software, the set of rules used in these compos became viable.
basic rules
for a tracker OHC, generally a samplepack is created and held by the compo host. a start time is agreed upon and a number of participants generally not less than 5 are located.

the rules are that only original material is to be produced, meaning no reuse of notation in a stored format. it is allowed to reproduce unoriginal notation as long as you do it manually and from memory, although in my opinion this is generally not to the spirit of the ohc, even if it is technically allowed.

in order to partially ensure this, the pack of samples specifically designed to be used in the compo are not released until the start-time. you must use only this specific set of samples and you must not modify them, unless it is specifically agreed upon to allow it.
voting rules
the full notation of the track must be sent back to the compo host before the end of the hour to officially qualify. the nature of tracker software and tracker modules made this possible.

in order to qualify to be ranked in the compo, you must vote on all other participant's productions. voting is accomplished by arrangement of every production into a list from best (first) to worst (last).

in open OHCs and other forms of compos, generally the votes are received and rankings are calculated by the host, maintaining participant's voting anonymity.

in friendly, smaller OHCs, generally votes are cast directly into the irc channel. in most of my experience the participants are all for either getting told or doing the telling, and the compo/ohc experience gives everyone an opportunity to expand their abilities.
as for kvr.. well.. with the regulars i'm not sure it would be a huge problem, but this is why i'm posting about "ideas" rather than actually trying to do a compo. this will require some discussion.

all of this requires discussion. there is the issue of the much greater capability of modern music software. trackers had the limitation of samples, and that allowed for the use of ohc sample packs. then we have the lack of any unified format or formats for project files. we do have midi though.

my ideas are that we can create artificial limitations to allow us to do this form of compo here on kvr.

sample packs
rather than sample packs, in vst-world we have patch/program files for our plugins. it seems we're limited to only free plugins, and limited to using no effects. is this such a bad thing though? No, not in my opinion.

i believe these sorts of limitations are very inspiring, and before you start jumping around crying about your precious effects or expensive commercial vsts, consider this and consider giving it a chance. maybe you will be inspired. you can always go back after the compo and use your fancy studio to produce the track in a "full" version of course. the playing field must be made perfectly level for the participants though. although we can not make up for differences in cpu power, we can use free software. nobody will stop you from using your commercial host, just with some limitation as you'll see in the next section..
modules
we do not have a unified notational format for plugin based music, but we do have the .mid format. i think i can hear some crying about the fact this means you can not use all those notational effects specific to your host if you can not export them to mid. you can not even use your host if it doesnt export mid.. well, there have to be limitations for this.

otherwise we might as well just throw out all the rules and go with just throwing mp3s at each other, which is a possible alternative. we should try this limited method first though, i think it will be far more entertaining. music after all is all about just expression, entertainment, fun. if we do any compos here the objective should be entertainment, improvement of our skills and greater community participation/interaction.

i wish we could all use a free software host, but this isnt very practical as it'll reduce the number of people interested in participating.
accurate replay
although we can not share our project files and have them replay perfectly for everyone, we can produce mp3s and oggs of our productions. the mid files will serve the purposes of sharing our notation, and proof we followed the rules by showing our production's reproducibility.
file distribution
to manage file distribution, i can supply space to upload files specifically for the purpose of compos, other arangements might be made if that will not be good enough.
now, i'm getting very tired of typing. i hope i've covered almost everything and i hope there will be enough interest in this to justify this. i'd like to see thoughts on this and a show of who will be interested in participating. we should focus on the more serious issues and leave discussion regarding "what plugins to use?" and that sort of thing for when we arrange a real compo.

huge mp3s?
it might make sense to limit the maximum qualifiable song length to 2 minutes or something similar in order to keep a check on file size for the mp3s, this will still allow for any length with the .mid versions.
time zones?
we might also change the length of the event to 24 hours or similar in order to account for the differences in time for everyone.
but, i think we should ...
in the future, after we create a working system, refinements can be made and some rules/limits can perhaps be removed.
but anybody can cheat!
before anyone jumps to point this out, i'm very aware this whole thing is based mostly upon "the honour system". we would only be doing this for fun, if someone decided to find a way to cheat and ruin it, they would for the most part only be ruining it for themselves by defeating the whole purpose which once again is to improve our abilities while interacting with the community.
i'll be very interested to see thoughts on this and it'll be great if there is a large body of interest which develops from this posting.[/b]
Last edited by aciddose on Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pro OHC, against trackers.

Creativity feeds from limits. Time limitation would be nice.
[ When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water ]

i wonder if music-cafe was the right place to post to get this noticed. i should maybe post a thread in instruments called "analog bass sux!!!11one" or "best virus???" and link to this thread to get attention. haha, actually i think i might do that.

I might be down for this.. I used to partake in the hornet.org compos about 10 years ago :lol: oh and the infamous beek compos :hihi:

I like the idea of a tracker format with file size under 1 mb or maybe even 512kb :hihi:

most of the tracker compos I've entered had a starting mod file with the samples we could use.. some let us include 1 extra sample under a specfic file size..

ah well for anyone who forgot to read the summary (or just skimmed the whole post), i'm not proposing using trackers at all.

i want to use vsts, you can use whatever host you like, and we vote on mp3 files. the midi notation must be provided, and the rules are that a specific free vst plugin or group of plugins have to be used without effects, possibly with a specific set of patches.

i'll remove the word "tracker" from the title.

is it really that nobody gives a damn about this sort of thing, or has it just gone unnoticed?

I'm up for it & I use a tracker :)

more more more more - still need one more to even meet the general rule of minimum five :cry:

maybe most do not have musiccafe on their watch list?

does anyone reading this have any suggestions for promotion? anybody think i should post this some place else?

maybe if you spam a cool prize with it?(xhip limited edition black), set up a site etc, spam teh internets blah blah you'll get more reactions + yeah better've put this in 'everything else' forum, maybe.

VitaminD wrote:I might be down for this.. I used to partake in the hornet.org compos about 10 years ago :lol: oh ...
hornet.org ....forgot about that. Shows my age! :-o

it is a bit hard to believe that was TEN years ago. i wonder if there are many young trackers anymore. people do not seem too interested anymore in the whole tracking/compo/scene thing.

sure is a lot of interest around kvr for the "vst synth like a virus" or "303 emulator" threads though :?

oh i didnt mean with trackers, i mean with other forms. why should there be a difference between trackers and vst hosts?

i meant nobody seems interested in doing the same flavor of compo using other sequencers. of course the tracker scene is alive and well. yesterday the modarchive channel had 67 members. today 65. compos are regular and participation is high.

+georg vikkorih VP +Drule +tyrian +Saga_Musix lanica Flasch DanielLawrence PsySal @De_Gopher sublmnl laamaa beathawk @Ceekayed Strobe I_raina Rei_Kold iLLER- Evil-Ville @Rhizome J-Factor raina Error303 LSnK @jantore slammy xaimus timeout Jace X-Acto drumstick bx___XzzzZZzzzzz Inkoddi @Zepsi aciddose Dave| grl REEdStER htg _5hfifty Snu +T-Rawg miko Yannick|offline redheat-work @m0d Decibelter +DragonM Mardeg Slippery Miz @TMAnna uncleBen nornagon_ JDruid Shadow_away BYTE-Server aulin cgi +Livingston yasahi TbbW Stomach Tristan

fish. but interested for teh future. good ideas.

I am so up for it.

Return to “Music Cafe”