New Vangelis style track "Rhodos" ; What synth?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just see this thread here. I post not very often because my english is not so good, but here I must told you that I like your track, Gucky.
really nice track, gets better and better.
Yes, just the drumbeat is a bit too "midish".
The break by 1:08 Min is Vangelis feelings pur, very nice !
Thomas
---

THE ULTIMATE LAST AND FINAL VERSION OF RHODOS:
http://www.4shared.com/file/10575682/6a ... os_12.html

Thanks to all 207 people who downloaded my song. :-)
Thanks to all who wrote comments and a special thank
to emdot_ambient who gives me the good tip for a new drum track for the final version. :-)
Hi ley007, to your question: All synth sounds are Albino 2.

I know its not an exact copy of Vangelis. But I had never
the wish to do it. Its a mix of my style with elements
of Vangelis.
By the way, does anybody know why Vangelis released no new
electronic albums in the last years?
Last edited by Gucky on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gucky wrote: By the way, does anybody know why Vangelis released no new
electronic albums in the last years?
This could be one reason :
The record labels are not to speed . Vangelis has said in one interview, that he produces a lot of music in any given year, but the labels are not willing to release any albums as fast as he can make them. He also said that he doesn't get on with the concept of an 'album', since for him ( I think rightly so) music can't just be boxed into a pre-defined format, so I can see a friction there between him and the label bosses. He's a true muso, don't you know :hihi: .

But honestly, judging by his output in the late 90s and 2000 onwards, I don't look forward to any new releases.
Somebody give that CS80 back to him and show him what those knobs and sliders do again, because all the quasi-symphonic muzak he's been releasing as of late is just !*$*? :wink:

completeley right.
"alexander", exept a few tracks, was a slap in the face ...
oh how i wish he'd return to his stringmachines, vp330's, and his cs80's ... someone has to tell him ... though i doubt he'd care, even if the whole world was begging him ... ;)
he'd probably just say:
"i moved on" ...
:(
it's a sad thing that a lot of artists rather do something bullshitty just because it's new, than stay with what theyr're really unique and great in ...
"new" is better "than great" in the opinion of the marketing suckers ...
i mean, don't give them "great music" only, they cannot handle it.
just make something "new", doesn't have to be "good" ... as long as they have that anker for the marketing ... :roll:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote:it's a sad thing that a lot of artists rather do something bullshitty just because it's new, than stay with what theyr're really unique and great in ...
True and at the same time not. I am convinced that each great artist has to "move on": The worst thing that can happen to an artist is being a copy of one's own artistry (well, actually the really really worst thing is being a copy of another artist :D ).
So changing one's "language" is a must, this is not (necessarily) a marketing thing. Picasso was notorious for changing his style. However, as every artistic attempt, this may fail (at least in the ears/eyes, etc. of the artist's audience).
Cheers,
Andreas

i was not talking about an artist copying himself over and over ... vangelis was the proove ... he did his _own style_ over a long period of time, always beeing true to himself ...
it's not about copying yourself ... it's about knowing where you are unique ... vangelis was always unique up to the time he wanted to leave this and do something, that he has got a lot of (even better, maybe) competitors ...
it's about his unique style he lost because leaving the field where he was best in ...
that's why i said "new" isn't necessarily "better" ...
but recordcompanies always want "new" stuff, they don't care for the fact it has to be good ...
point is, you cannot invent the wheel ... it has been invented already ... but you can find your way to improove the rolling ... this mostly achieves better and more convincing results ...
i am _not_ against innovation, don't get that mixed up here, but you should stick to what you're best in, and not leave the path just because you feel you have to move on ...
imo this is the real art of beeing an artist ... staying true to yourself... however, i think this also is the hardest part ...
in case of vangelis:
he's such a brilliant composer/performer, he could go on over years with his own style, not leaving his field, and still not copying himself ...
again: he did so already over close to 20 years before he dropped this style ... there's even newer stuff that still is simply brilliant (i.e. the ost of 1492) ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

Artists need to do what they find personally enjoyable and fulfilling as well. Vangelis may very well love the newer stuff that he's been producing, even if the majority of his fans may not and continue to yearn for the older style. Most artists with any kind of lasting power will almost always attempt (though not always succeed gracefully) to reinvent themselves throughout the course of their career and go in new directions. This almost always splinters the fan base, who is usually far more nostalgic about the past than the artist who is often trying to look forward. So, what if Vangelis were to return to all of his string machines and equipment from the 70s and early 80s, but be utterly bored? He's already been there. The last thing we want is an uninspired new album, no?

I know of several artists that I admire who go under many different aliases as they branch off in new directions so that they never fall into the trap of having to maintain a certain sound for a specific artist name forever. It gives them more freedom to do wildly different things, but never alienate old listeners who become very attached to a particular production style.

By the way... sorry for barging in on your thread like this, Gucky, but look at the bright side. At least we're helping to keep your thread on the first page. :hihi: And there's nothing wrong with being inspired or trying to emulate those that we admire. It's one of the fundamentals of the human experience.

Uh, ok, this is a bit off-topic, sorry.
I agree that Vangelis was - imho - not at risk copying himself. However, maybe he had that impression, who knows? It is never easy to "develop" and sometimes we make too small a step, sometimes way too big a step and sometimes the step even goes in a wrong direction.
Ah, and Gucky: I like your music, sorry for that "sub-thread" here. I don't think you do a copy of something, your music is quite genuine! (Inspiration by XY is not copy of XY :) )
Cheers,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
I have nothing against the "sub-thread"
about Vangelis. I find it quite interesting. :-)
Thanks for your comment about my music.
My new track Kimonoto has nothing to do with Vangelis:
http://www.4shared.com/file/10655314/a8 ... to_02.html

I made a new Vangelis inspired track called
"Siracuse".
Here it is:
http://www.4shared.com/file/11034912/b2 ... se_03.html
Last edited by Gucky on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gucky wrote:THE ULTIMATE LAST AND FINAL VERSION OF RHODOS:
http://www.4shared.com/file/10575682/6a ... os_12.html

Thanks to all 207 people who downloaded my song. :-)
Thanks to all who wrote comments and a special thank
to emdot_ambient who gives me the good tip for a new drum track for the final version. :-)
Hi ley007, to your question: All synth sounds are Albino 2.
Ooooooooooh! That sounds so much more natural and transparent. The drums work even better than I heard them in my mind. Grooving, yet subdued. They lock with the bass without emphasizing the bass's rhythm.

You've sold me. This is, as you said, the ultimate last and final version. Great job!

I should have guessed it was Albino. The phaser sound at the start is a dead giveaway.

Keep your eyes open. In the next few days I'll post a track that's all Albino3 (except some TR-606 drum samples). :D

Hi emdot_ambient,
your idea for the drum groove was very good. Many thanks. :-)
I am very interested to hear your Albino3 song.
At the moment I use the Albino very often.

Gucky wrote:I made a new Vangelis inspired track called
"Siracuse".
Here it is:
http://www.4shared.com/file/10902686/35 ... acuse.html
thats really nice!
i can hear you actually bought the bigtone ambient signature set! :)
it's so nice to hear these presets in a real song!
great tune!
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

Return to “Music Cafe”