calling all keyboard enthusiasts

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently started writing a song which I like a lot so far..but it's missing something. In my own head I am hearing a powerful (yet probably simple) keyboard part that I am having difficultly replicating. So, to anyone who wants to take a stab at this..here it is.

http://www.box.net/p/justollamas23016

It's listed as 'Am 2'. also, the time signature is a little weird..so if it helps here is its sequence (I think).

Verse: first 2 bars are 6/4 and the last bars are 4/4.

Chorus: all 4/4

Also, it doesn't HAVE to be keys..if someone else heres something in their own head that they think would fit, go for it. :)
"You must not only aim aright, but draw the bow with all your might."

Also, i should've mentioned that anyone who wants the wav or mp3 file to PM me and ill hook that up for ya.

Nice tune! Is that the C/Fmaj7 routine? Still works best for that open, melancholy TexMex vibe.
Re: Missing bit,
this is crying out for some tiny percussion elements and a slightly dirtied up guitar theme more than anything.

Marco :)

yes sir you are correct on the C/Fmaj7. Excellent ears! :)

You are certainly correct in that it is lacking tiny percussion bits..but that is where I tend to mess up my mix at times..so for now I have left it out. And yeah a nice guitar part would work nicely here. I have improv'd over it a little bit and i tend to go crazy in the spanish scaling. The way I see it, the guitar is the easy way out for me....though I guess having someone play the keys for me is even easier! lol

I don't really feel qualified to play the missing keyboards, but I like the track and would be interested to hear where it goes!
Image Image

What kind of keys part are you talking about...?

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

well..again these are my own amateur ears..but i kind've hear a traditional acoustic piano part, mainly chordal..or perhaps broken up chords. Though, i dont know..it does have kind've a somber tone to it, so maybe something more 'eerie' like a reverberated rhodes or something.

Hmmm, sounds like it could be up my alley - I'll have a fiddle for you :)

thanks, cant wait! :)

musikjock wrote:thanks, cant wait! :)
I've gotten carried away as usual :cry:

Played a bit of bass on it, and I was trying to do snare brushes, but I gather you didn't play to a click? I should be good enough to do it anyway, but without being able to play to a click, I'm useless :cry: I couldn't match it up to any particular tempo, anyway.

Doing piano shortly, although I'm having trouble with one of my bloody mic cables - need to buy a new one, I think :)

http://www.simonwatson.com.au/kvr/Am_2_Squared.mp3

As you can see, I've concentrated on the chorus first. I'm not sure if you'll like it or not, so I thought I'd stop and let you decide :hihi:

I used my piano, my bass in a "normal" way (although higher than normal on the fretboard), and then my bass again playing the guitarish line, pitch shifted up an octave to sound kind of whammy-ish, and with some reverb and tape delay.

:)

Lovely as always Watto!
Image Image

Nice :)

polyslax wrote:Lovely as always Watto!
Cheers, poly :)

wow watto...that is very similar to what I had in mind! excellent job. And yeah for this particular track I didn't use a click track because i was having a very weird problem: the click would for some reason not play through my headphones..only my speakers. This is exactly why i didn't ask someone to play a drum part eventhough it desperately cried out for it.

Anyways again, that was freaking awesome! my only small small critique is that the last 2 bars of the chorus actually switch to a descending walk-down (so instead of C/Fmaj7-Am-C, it simply goes C/Fmaj7-Am-G(?)-c/fmaj7(or in simple terms for the bass, F-A-G-F). Since the bass you played is playing the same thing over that you cant really notice, but if the bass played to that accordingly in the last two bars I think it'd be that much more powerful! Thanks! :D

Return to “Music Cafe”