April Contest: Submission Part 1

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great idea Scoops! Count me in as well. I will be digging through a bunch of my older stuff ( and newer ) to find the right midi!
Last edited by EyeofSound on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freeztar wrote:This sounds great, I'm in.

Something to consider for audio only folks might be a donation box of sorts. Something like Markleford did with the graveyard thing. People could essentially donate their rendering and post their bits for people to play along with or mangle.
After thinking about this, yes, this will be somewhat like the graveyard Markleford did about a year and a half ago. Difference being, you can create any genere with the midi files, and you'll have much more control over timbre with midi files. I'm really hoping this can be driven from midi's exclusively.

So Peps(especially you Alex), send me your midi's

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Me likeeee 8) Mostly if everyone gets the same file.

And...I find it hard to believe that there is truly anyone who doesn't have midi capability - Isn't one of the stipulations for each contest that the project has to use plugins - hence requiring a host that would load said plug-ins...and what host these days doesn't have at least basic midi capability?

Like offthewall said, one nice thing about these contest themes is that it often forces us to do what we don't normally do - so suck it up audio-boys! and let the growing pains begin! :hihi:

Oh, another thought...
Since you (Scoops) WILL be recieving a lot of midi files, why not make a category system, rather than a "Top ten by scoops". So you could have bass midi, drum midi, chord midi, melody midi, etc...and divide it up in a sensible way so that everyone is using (theoretically) everyone elses stuff at will (choice).

I also think, for the above reasons, that it is important that midi submitters label their files appropriately. If it is a bass midi file, label it as such. etc..etc...

Btw...Scoops, your horns are showing again...
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

freeztar wrote:I also think, for the above reasons, that it is important that midi submitters label their files appropriately. If it is a bass midi file, label it as such. etc..etc...
This is exactly how i'm doing it.
IE: HsH synth_1
HsH synth_2
HsH Bass_1

So a file named with "synth" was written with a synth lead in mind, "Bass" with a bass riff in mind etc.
However, users can use it anyway they choose.
Since you (Scoops) WILL be recieving a lot of midi files, why not make a category system, rather than a "Top ten by scoops". So you could have bass midi, drum midi, chord midi, melody midi, etc...and divide it up in a sensible way so that everyone is using (theoretically) everyone elses stuff at will (choice).
+1

:-o
AAAAAWWWHHH........

This looks like a LOT of learning...

:shock:

Bring it ON.
:bang: :drunk: :bang:

offthewall wrote::-o
AAAAAWWWHHH........

This looks like a LOT of learning...

:shock:

Bring it ON.
:bang: :drunk: :bang:
WHoops...didn't mean to make it look difficult.
All you do is
1]load a synth VST of your choice
2] play whatever you like for maybe two bars (at least that's what i'm doing)
3] export the MIDI file (exporting is done differently depending on your host but it could be as simple as going under the "file" menu of your host and selecting "Export MIDI file"

..that's it.

Just make sure you label the file accordingly. FOr example, if you played a riff that's with "bell" sounds..label it "Bells".

HTH.

freeztar wrote:Oh, another thought...

I also think, for the above reasons, that it is important that midi submitters label their files appropriately. If it is a bass midi file, label it as such. etc..etc...

Btw...Scoops, your horns are showing again...
Yeah,

Some good input here

Like I was sayin earlier, it really depends on how much I get.
If I end up gettin alot of good material, I might classify it as bass, drum, synth, ect. and just post everthing. Then again, I might slice and dice some of them together :hihi:
So when you guys submit, let me know what they are (bass, drums, synth). It will be easy to keep track of
(Yes, my horns are showing!!!!!!!)

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Scoops wrote:This was an idea I had a while back, but never did get around to it because I just forgot. But a few weeks ago, I noticed liqih had posted a midi file for open collaboration. He got some interesting results. So, thanks liqih for reminding me.
I'm glad it helped,

about the contest my idea is well expressed with the same words by Echo Voodoo in the thread of my midi file
I really like the way that the same midi file can end up sounding very different in different hands. If it wasn't for the recognizable bass line, it'd be hard to peg them as the same underlying song.

yes, to me that's where the fun is :
to see how different musicians approach *the same* composition,

and to cover the only audio guys as well,
you could deliver the same song in 3 fomats:

1) midi file
2) audio rendering in pure tones (sine wave mostly, for addittive elaboration
3) audio redering with rich tones (saw wave and noise) for subtractive elaboration

if the midi files is more than one track
the audio rendering could be splitted as well, the contestant would have too use
the midi file or the rendering or both,

the challege would be producing the most interesting and "cool" 2' mp3/ogg remix/rendering/arrangement starting from the same parts you Scoops choose

that's how I would do it, maybe, <grin>
Last edited by liqih on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

liqih wrote:
that's how I would do it, maybe, <grin>

:hihi:

Yeah, me too
Bunch O Stuff

I'm in!

Sounds like it could be interesting AND fun. I'm prepared to give it a go, too.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

:dog:

Just got off work and took a look at my midi archives -- over 2600 *mostly* unsorted files... :hihi:

I got stuff in there going back to my tracker days -- maybe that's 21 years ago? :shock:

Well, I guess it's about time I sorted them out anyway... :lol:

I thought it was fun to hear the four or five songs that came from liqih's midi files, but 40, 50, 60 versions of the same song? I'll try to stay open minded about it, but I have doubts...
Rakkervoksen

I agree with hovmod. Perhaps the midi clip should be a 16 measure 'theme' to be used as a framework by the entrants. Provides a bit more freedom to express one's own style (as long as the theme can be recognised within the song).

Return to “Music Cafe”