Ophir - Riff-Based Rocktronica

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I made up the name "riff-based rocktronica" to describe the style of music that I write. Do you think it accurately describes my music? I don't want to sound cheesy or pompous.

http://www.myspace.com/ophirmusic

Also, any production/engineering advice would be much appreciated.

After listening to your first 2 tracks on myspace, i would say you definitely have "riff based rocktronica" going on. Very reminiscent of older Trans Am recordings.
Very cool instrumentation and sonic manipulation in the mid section of Gypsy Moth that would be fun to hear more through out (but thats just my opinion coming through, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain)
You could really get away with crazy vocals or even a clever random vocal sample in Ophir. very random programming keeps this track fun to listen to.
Age of Acsent is head bobbing material. Slick and probably more my vien of sonic experimentation. You could even go more lo fi on some of those lead keys. They feel kinda glassy over the track and sounds like it would have been interesting even more 'dirty'.
Nice djembe in Apothesis. This feels the least done of the four, but I like what they drummer is doing in this track a lot.
hope this was the kind of feedback you were looking for,
peace
jazzy

I like it. Very good description. It was what I was expecting which is a good thing. Reminds me of O.S.I. (Office of Strategic Influence). Very good programming and production. Are you going to make any available for download?

THanks for the feedback, guys. Very much appreciated.

Interesting stuff Ophir! I liked Gypsy Moth a lot, even though I'm not generally into those guitar stylings I thought the track grooved nicely and showed good imagination. Ophir had cool moments, but I wasn't crazy about the 4 on the floor disco beat... thought something more syncopated might sound cool? Age of Ascent was really nice, enjoyed this quite a lot! Apotheosis of Theo is really interesting rhythmically, and there are some cool sounds, but like Jazzy I think there are some spots in this one that need to be fleshed out.
Image Image

I like it!
Very interesting sound you got there!!
I like the drumming (being a bit of a drummer meself...) :love:

polyslax wrote:Interesting stuff Ophir! I liked Gypsy Moth a lot, even though I'm not generally into those guitar stylings I thought the track grooved nicely and showed good imagination. Ophir had cool moments, but I wasn't crazy about the 4 on the floor disco beat... thought something more syncopated might sound cool? Age of Ascent was really nice, enjoyed this quite a lot! Apotheosis of Theo is really interesting rhythmically, and there are some cool sounds, but like Jazzy I think there are some spots in this one that need to be fleshed out.
Thanks. Yeah, my feelings are mixed on the disco beat. Some think it serves the song, while others think it's overused.

The consensus seems to be that the RBR label accurately describes my music. :)

I really appreciate these comments. This is very encouraging, since I'm carving out my own style and most people seem to like the direction of the music. Thanks!!!

Ian SDZH wrote:I like it!
Very interesting sound you got there!!
I like the drumming (being a bit of a drummer meself...) :love:
Thanks! I have pretty simple drum recipe: two cheap free kits--one dry and one ambient--layered on top of one another. It works really well on Gypsy Moth. Aside from the obvious drum machine breakbeats, did it sound canned at all?

Return to “Music Cafe”