In Vain (Breakbeat/Big Beat)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, this is the second track out of hundreds that I've actually attempted to lay out vocals to. This was/is my first track for 2007. The lyrics are okay, I'm just unsure about when I sing it all weird. I've rather got to get it right or just scrap the whole weird slightly German-sounding weirdness altogether, unless someone think it's sounds okay, but I'm not really 100% content. If anyone can't work out what I'm saying I'll post the lyrics. Also feedback on the music would be nice too...

I have a few other ideas for the mix which I'm going to sort out when I receive all the parts for my new setup; hopefully today (well that's what the computer components company promised me yesterday).

This one is 'In Vain' and I'm starting to wonder whether it was in vain ;)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/1/723440/InVain.mp3

Enjoy/laugh at it/cry at it. Whatever floats your boat, just feel something from it and I'll be happy....

P3U6!SUn 3H+

I typically don't listen to much "song" material here...not my primary interest at the moment...but I thought this piece really moved. Production wise it seemed very well-done, although I'm listening on small little office speakers so accuracy is outta the question. I liked the instrumentation - the vocals were fine - actually brought David Byrne to mind. Good stuff, man.

I don't really make or post much song material either, so I really appreciate your time and positive comments. David Byrne (the one from Talking Heads)? That's cool, although tbh I was copycatting Steve Harley's weird style just a little, admittedly it doesn't really sound like me at all. It's all good that it seems okay to someone. Again, thanks for your time. God bless you... :)

P3U6!SUn 3H+

I really liked it a lot and thought the vocals were the best part. You could experiment with speeding it up and making the vocals a little louder. But as is, it's really good.

..*relistens to In Vain*.... yeah ignore your inner weasel. After listening to your other stuff (the top 4 at myspace) and then relistening to this, I almost wondered what i was thinking in liking this the first time I listened to it. But the chorus (1:30 to 2:00 and from 3:15 to 3:45) is really good. If this were 1982, this could be better than some of the MTV one hit wonders.

You could get rid of the first 45 seconds altogether.

The part from 2:00 to 2:30. I would go ahead and do that at the end (the second time) and slowly fade out with it. The first time I'd do something different. Maybe develop some that high pitched smooth synth sound that was coming over top of the chorus vocals?

And if you take out the first 45 seconds it's kind of short and it's so good I hate to see it end so quick. Maybe repeat the whole thing a third time? I dunno. Add some slight variation to the chorus the last time? Well I don't know, just throwing out some ideas. Thanks for sharing again. It's really good. The weird singing is fine. Be bold. :D

Jay Sherman wrote:..*relistens to In Vain*.... yeah ignore your inner weasel. After listening to your other stuff (the top 4 at myspace) and then relistening to this, I almost wondered what i was thinking in liking this the first time I listened to it. But the chorus (1:30 to 2:00 and from 3:15 to 3:45) is really good. If this were 1982, this could be better than some of the MTV one hit wonders.

You could get rid of the first 45 seconds altogether.

The part from 2:00 to 2:30. I would go ahead and do that at the end (the second time) and slowly fade out with it. The first time I'd do something different. Maybe develop some that high pitched smooth synth sound that was coming over top of the chorus vocals?

And if you take out the first 45 seconds it's kind of short and it's so good I hate to see it end so quick. Maybe repeat the whole thing a third time? I dunno. Add some slight variation to the chorus the last time? Well I don't know, just throwing out some ideas. Thanks for sharing again. It's really good. The weird singing is fine. Be bold. :D
I've been thinking a lot about what you suggested. I think if I take the first 45 seconds out it will be too short. The first breakdown should be something different I agree; I did actually change this in the last mix I tried, but didn't really go anywhere great with it. It certainly will do for the end, with maybe a longer fadeout.

I have another idea to make it longer, it's actually another breakdown after the second chorus, then it goes into some long, ambient, weird mood, has some different lyrics, builds up for a while, then breaks out for a third time with a twist to it. Also adding some answer backs to the vocals might be a good idea. Maybe I'll try this when I get Vista drivers for my soundcard.

I appreciate your enthusiasm :)

P3U6!SUn 3H+

This is crazy. I like it. :D

The vocals are obviously the star here, and your weird intonations are very fun to listen to. Instrumentation is fine, some nice growling and acidic tones, but it drowns out the vocals just a bit. Actually, the vocals are slightly thin and could stand to be beefed up imo, maybe doubled or chorused, whatever works.

Honestly, my biggest criticism of this is the prominent bigbeat drum loop that plays throughout most of the song. Slice that up and program in some variations, throw effects on it, etc.

Really liked this overall. Cool, weird stuff.

Pretty cool. The vocals are mixed a little quiet though, and the mid-low region is sort of loud. You usually expect to hear more mids and upper mids in this style. Also I think you could pump up the beat more ;) However, overall, I like it. I do a lot of big beat/breakbeat too so it's refreshing to hear other people's work.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

More comments :) yippee

I'm glad you enjoyed the vocals Leah, makes me feel a little bit better that a few people have enjoyed them. I agree, it is a totally crazy tune; it sounds weird, paranoid and crazy and maybe I am a little bit off-the-wall to start with. As for the mix; tbh I wasn't really trying with the mix as such, I think I was concentrating on the vocals a little too much, which explains why the percussion is so linear; I didn't add any rolls, improvisation or variation; just 2 drum patterns throughout te whole track. I don't think I was trying to fit anything into the sound spectrum, I was just adding stuff as I saw fit. Now I have something to focus on I think the percussion can be worked on a little more; I'm not too keen on linear beats myself. By the way it isn't a drumloop; it's a beat I made myself using one-shots; no need to slice the beat then :). The vocals are really a botch job, distortion was probably a bad idea. I'll try double-tracking them; maybe with some tape saturation on one and the other with some chorus; see how it turns out.

Thanks for the comments Zircon, I think I've commented on your work before so I'm happy to get a postive comment from you :) I think you're right about the beat. I think it needs more layering, plus it needs delinearizing; throw in some variation to compliment the vocals. There aren't even any rolls except for the 2 subtle ones before the chorus. Yeah it definitely needs beefing up, the kick/BD is way too set back in the mix. I should have taken more care with the percussion tbh. As for the vocals; I probably used the wrong FX on them altogether. I do agree that they don't sound like they belong in a song of this genre; that's exactly what I loved about them. They sound like 80s vocals in a late 90s song, but with a retro twist. Maybe it's just me that finds this appealing :wink:

Thanks for your time, God bless you both

P3U6!SUn 3H+

Return to “Music Cafe”