New track - new age/chillout/ambient/whatever

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, just finished this new track a couple of days ago. It's a pretty chill new age-ish type of thing. Pretty relaxing. Here's the download link and soundclick link.
Comments are always greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

very chill...nice production

Nice sounds, competent composition and I like the lead part a lot--good work of pitchbend and expressive playing.

However I do think the mix is too heavy in the lo and lo-mid range. I looked at it with multi-compressor that has a graphic freq display, turned off all the upper bands and it looks like the bass line is saturating the mix with peaks around 40 and 80 Hz, but also carrying a lot of sonic weight all the way up to 1 kHz, so it's drowning out a lot of the lo-mid sounds from the other instruments. You might want to look at doing some EQ on that part to limit its impact on other lo-mid sounds. I'd probably also roll off the low 40Hz peak some, too, but you'd have to play with that. Additionally, the swirly phaser sound seems a bit too dominant in the mix.

The combination of these two factors makes the whole mix sound kind of fuzzy and buries the lead too far in the background. There's also something odd about the hi hat sounds. Like maybe they're over compressed or EQ'd. It kind of pumps a little too much, but it's hard to tell what the issue is.

Hope that doesn't sound too negative. Just giving my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Enjoyed it, nonetheless.

I'm listening to it for the 2nd time as i type this :)

It's a nice breezy tune which i could surely see myself playing on a long roadtrip through some nice scenery or some sort of scenario like that.

If i had to change something however, i think i'd work on the drumsounds a bit, and the bass, and try to make them melt a bit more. There's a really nice groove going on there which deserves to be taken advantage of to the max. So maybe a bit of compression on the bass/drums to make them melt a bit more could do wonders. Personally i think i'd use slightly different sounds as well, but that's just me ;)

My biggest gripe, like the previous poster, is with the pad sound.. it seems to be a little too fuzzy or something and is in front of everything else all the time.. or so it feels. It'd be nice if you could use a sound that would actually melt into the whole thing a bit more. Maybe it's just a matter of cutting off some of those higher frequencies for at least a while.

I really do like the way the thing builds up though, and the change in chords. maybe you could have something of an interlude somewhere where the pad sound isn't present though, so you can build some contrast. As it is now it just goes on and on all the time, and i think it helps to create some space/depth.

Ok that's actually a lot of comments for a tune i like a lot :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Im still developing my mixing skills (and my compositional skills) so thats why its like that, besides the fact that i use my stereo's speakers because I dont have nice monitors like everyone else :(. I was trying to focus on transitions with this piece, so it's not that exciting, but Im glad you all enjoyed it. I might fix the mix later on. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Learning mixing is a whole other skill. If you're just beginning then don't worry, 'cause you're not that far from having a very nice sounding piece. Sometimes it takes other ears to hear what you're not able to. That's the best you can hope for from criticism here. But always remember it's a totally subjective thing. Consider our comments . . . and feel free to discard any that don't apply :D

Nice composition, although a bit too linear for my taste. The lead is nice. I would definitely change the pads, which are in my opinion too present and all that phasing is a bit too much.
Anyway just my two cents as a listener, as my mixing skills are close to 0.00... :-)
Where are you from in BC?

Nico
www.nicolasfournel.com <- free audio and MIDI software

Thanks again emdot, ive only been producing my own music for about half a year, so Ive still got a looong way to go so hopefully Ill get better over the years. As for Nick, thanks for taking a listen and Im from New West in Vancouver.

xolax wrote:Thanks again emdot, ive only been producing my own music for about half a year, so Ive still got a looong way to go so hopefully Ill get better over the years. As for Nick, thanks for taking a listen and Im from New West in Vancouver.
I'm no authority on mixing by a long shot, but what i'd recommend you to do is to get some of the basics down as far as the technical aspect isconcerned. Otherwise it's just a matter of trusting your ears :)

Maybe this could be of some help too: http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/mixing101.htm

I looked at that article and it looks pretty helpful. Ill read it later today or this week when I have some free time. Thanks payt.

Return to “Music Cafe”