free copyrighting?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whats the cheapest/easiest way to get you're own material copyrighted?

OK, this is different depending on where you live.

If you live in the US, there are various forms that may be relevant. The first, the one that registers copyright for the song, is form PA. The second, the one that registers copyright for the recording, is form SR. Form SR is not relevant unless the recording itself is important: i.e. if you payed a lot of money to make the recording, if it is likely to be sampled, or if you are going to use the material as samples yourself, you need form SR.

Otherwise, form PA is what you need.

Either way, you can make the process much cheaper by registering a whole album as one song. The registration fee is $45

If for some reason it later becomes important to have the songs copyrighted individually, you can get a form CA(correction/amplification), and add the individual song titles and other details.

Forms are available here:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#af

Other info here:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

herodotus lays it out for you, but technically all you need for a copyright in the US is to create some intellectual property (song, book, poem, picture, etc.). You own the copyright by virtue of being the creator.

Now, to prove you created it in a court of law . . . that's not quite the same thing and registering the copyright . . . can . . . help, but doesn't guarantee anything.

Actually, Form SR is what you would also want to use if you want to copyright both the underlying music composition AND the sound recording at the same time, if the claimant is the same for both...so you get a two-fer for the price of one. :)

See http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ56.html#choosing which sez:
Form SR must also be used if you wish to make one registration for both the sound recording and the underlying work (the musical composition, dramatic, or literary work). You may make a single registration only if the copyright claimant is the same for both the sound recording and the underlying work. In this case, the authorship statement in space 2 should specify that the claim covers both works
herodotus wrote:OK, this is different depending on where you live.

If you live in the US, there are various forms that may be relevant. The first, the one that registers copyright for the song, is form PA. The second, the one that registers copyright for the recording, is form SR. Form SR is not relevant unless the recording itself is important: i.e. if you payed a lot of money to make the recording, if it is likely to be sampled, or if you are going to use the material as samples yourself, you need form SR.

Otherwise, form PA is what you need.

Either way, you can make the process much cheaper by registering a whole album as one song. The registration fee is $45

If for some reason it later becomes important to have the songs copyrighted individually, you can get a form CA(correction/amplification), and add the individual song titles and other details.

Forms are available here:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#af

Other info here:
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

pattonfreak1 wrote:whats the cheapest/easiest way to get you're own material copyrighted?
Live in new zealand, its copyrighted automatically :)

Dayl wrote:
pattonfreak1 wrote:whats the cheapest/easiest way to get you're own material copyrighted?
In the US too, but you have to register before you can bring suit and, if your work is lifted, it is proof that it is yours.

pwedza wrote:
Dayl wrote:
In the US too, but you have to register before you can bring suit and, if your work is lifted, it is proof that it is yours.
Haha, yeah pretty much the same here. There are a few different groups to register with in order to collect royalties
They all collect from different sources so its best to register with all and better if you start a record company also in order to pick up more ;)

Of course there is a lot more to it, but seeing as there are not too many NZ heads on KVR, I shouldn't waste space.

not too relevant if you live in omicron persei 8 :)

anyone knows something about south america or brasil?
if anyone wish to talk about electronic music ( full on , electro ) or about partnership to make music add my msn !

Bialon wrote:anyone knows something about brasil?
I know it's very hot there, but you can always get a refreshing Skol for only R$ 2 or less from one of the many street vendors.

Image :P :P :P

JK

[sort of back on topic]Although it is not really a copyright, you might want to check this out:
http://creativecommons.org/

Thanks.. I've been wondering about this too.

I clicked the link for the SR form to see they mention its $35 at the moment.. hmmms.

You'll have to cmoply with local regulations in omicron persei 8.
I heard there's no free way of copyrighting here.

My copyright protection is called "Fredo", he's ugly, very big, eats a lot but is very efficient. :hihi:

DIY-Max... .. . :P
Carpo diem ergo sum !

Dayl wrote:
pwedza wrote:
Dayl wrote:
Haha, yeah pretty much the same here. There are a few different groups to register with in order to collect royalties
They all collect from different sources so its best to register with all and better if you start a record company also in order to pick up more ;)

Of course there is a lot more to it, but seeing as there are not too many NZ heads on KVR, I shouldn't waste space.

Have you put a copyright on anything Dayl. I have been mullin it over. I havent looked into the cost in NZ.

Bialon wrote:
anyone knows something about brasil?
I know it's very hot there, but you can always get a refreshing Skol for only R$ 2 or less from one of the many street vendors.

Yeah Fckr i know that...different from where you live , dont waste your time with stupids things coqsuckr
if anyone wish to talk about electronic music ( full on , electro ) or about partnership to make music add my msn !

xtp wrote:
Dayl wrote:
pwedza wrote:
Dayl wrote:

Have you put a copyright on anything Dayl. I have been mullin it over. I havent looked into the cost in NZ.

What if I were to e-mail an mp3 file to myself and kept it in the inbox? A date and time would be attached to the e-mail containing the file therefore providing a "creation date".
Would this hold up in court?

Return to “Music Cafe”