more mass rapid transport : 80 narrow street / dubstep hell

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

80 NARROW STREET

New tune at myspace and soundclick, some dubstep like hellish melodic maze of a tune,
make sure you don't get lost in there...which is exactely what the devil wants...

DISCLAIMER
WARNING MAY DAMAGE YOUR SPEAKERS, I think the basses are quite heavy, but I have only heard the song on my headphones !

a sonic earthquake....

Hey Cuppa!
Some interesting new sounds from you. Your work just keeps getting more interesting. The bass is fine on my monitors. And the busyness at the end is really my flavor. Nice dubwerk. I hear some clicking or clipping going on in there, is it intentional?
Keep up the madness, my friend.
peace
jazzyspoon

Nevermind, that clicking was the ghost in my sound system....

Thanx Jazzy, I really appreciate your encouragement :-), it means a lot to me !
there may indeed be some clipping, I must look into that, this one was quite difficult
to mix actually...
have you had the time to listen to silent warfare ? totally different that one...150 bpm

thanx again for being positive !

very cool track! :phones:

Really nice tune. There's always a worry when someone says 'listen to my new dubstep tune' that it's going to be yet another wobble bass + halfstep beat + rasta and/or horror film sample, so hearing something cool and individual and synthy is awesome.

Two things might scupper it for a dubstep DJ, though:
1) it's a bit too fast. Or too slow depending on how you look at it, but it'd be really hard to mix in a 140bpm dubstep set.
2) there's maybe not enough sub to the bassline. I haven't got the biggest speakers, but there are only a couple of points in the tune where I hear any sub, and even then I don't really feel the weight of it.
To be honest, I'm not sure how possible it is to mix a tune something like this
to make it sound good on something like this:
Image.
Running the whole thing through a spectrogram to see how the low end compares with top producers' tunes might help...
It's a rave, Lewis!

HI DWb,
thanx for listening, I was aware that the tune is a tad too fast, but I felt that at 70 bpm
the energy and momentum just weren't there.

Anyway, I don't think a dj would play this kind of music would they, if I adjusted it somewhat ?

On the sub bass, I think you are quite right, as jazzy pointed out, the only bass sound that
is noticable is clipping :hihi:, certainly not sub...
Can you recommend a freeware vst for sub bass sounds, I used arc dex mainliner on this song,
together with synth 1

Well, I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but I don't think that which synth you use has that much bearing on the quality of your subs. Maybe try using something with three or more oscs (Oatmeal and MinimogueVA spring to mind, and I've also been enjoying the EnergyXT2 built in synth lately) so you can use one for the sub and the others to do what you want higher up, but I've also got perfectly acceptable (by my standards) bass sounds out of Synth1. I think the really important thing is just getting the fundamental in the right place and then building your bass up from there.

I'd go about it by loading up a pure sine wave patch on your synth and figuring out what range to put it in for the lowest sub you're going to want in your track - ie get it deep enough so you can feel it. Then use the same synth to build up your patch to get the bass sound you want - provided you have at least one oscillator not tuned up or down and none tuned any further down, and provided you use notes in the range you've chosen your bass is then going to have some component at the pitch that you've decided is right for the sub. Depending on your sound design, you might then have a load of stuff happening in the high bass / midrange or you might just have a bit of variation in the low end, and the ratio of sub to the rest of the sound will vary, but there should be some component of deep sub.
It's a rave, Lewis!

thanx Dwb,
I'll give that a try and will try to make a bit slower as well, see where I can go with this...

Return to “Music Cafe”