Advice On Mix Please - Female Vox

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Would love to hear some advice and suggestions on "Hide Away". You can check it out here http://www.myspace.com/armchairdreamers

I'm fairly new at this, so I'd appreciate any and all comments/advice. I'm not that big a fan of the song anymore, it does end abruptly, and we probably would re-record parts of her singing, but hey. :)

Thanks!
C

That singer has a really sweet, distinctive voice.
The most obvious problem is the drums. They don't suit the arrangement at all.
Try removing them and then asking yourself what is missing (rhythmically). It may just be that all you need is an egg shaker or a ride cymbal.
Just a thought - A bass guitar might be the foundation for this track.

I reckon you can either go down the Portishead route - scratchy, vinyl drum loops. Or try and make it more acoustic sounding with some light percussion.

Bottom line is - I'm very jealous of your singer. She sounds great!

I have to agree with sonarman, the drums are distracting from the rest of the great song. Maybe you were after a different sound, not mainstream or something, but a different drum (maybe not the trash drum, with so much delay) or a different beat would complement it better.

Maybe not a traditional beat. I would never have thought to have a snare rat-a-tatting, instead of 2-4 beat on the song Linger by the Cranberries, but I couldn't hear any other way now.
1310th top poster out of 181396 members!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, the drums don't really fit - I'm not quite sure what to do with them. I'll try to rework that.

Besides the compositional error with the drums, does the mix itself sound ok?

Thanks again!

The mix is just a little thin, but that could be about mastering. I know what you're going for, but i would suggest redirecting what you want towards what you have. The songwriting is great and the vocals are suited nicely for whats happening musically (not rhythmically) Her voice is recorded well and she's got some talent with both singing and lyrics. The acoustic guitar is nicely wide and helped by the sentimental piano in the background. The strings sounds are a nice "producer" touch. But when they start with the portamento, they are less effective.
You might want to post this track for remixing here at KVR and see what happens. You could get a lot of great results that are more in line with what you want or at least a new perspective on what could happen rhythmically.
I hope this was the kind of feedback you were looking for.
peace
jazzyspoon

Thanks for the comments Jazzyspoon. I appreciate them. Never thought about posting the song up here - but that may be a good idea!

I only used free effects for this track, along with a $100 condenser mic, the stock pre-amps on my US-122, and an untreated bedroom. Was that evident in the mix? Would upgrading those items really make a difference that I would be able to hear?

Thanks.

No, the recording quality isn't an issue with what you have here. You've done fine work with what you have going on so far. Although room treatment can make a difference when it comes to noise on vocals, sounds like what you have is fine. The song as a production doesn't feel done, but as a composition, you've got a good solid track.
You should be able to accomplish your musical goals with what you have and are using.

And btw, I will have some time in July and would love to take a stab at a remix of this when you finish it. So, if you decide to post it for such, please pm me.
all the best until,
Jazzyspoon

Return to “Music Cafe”